Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on January 1, 2013
This was such an incredible bargain from Amazon! I really had never heard of this cookbook before I saw it on sale and bought it on an impulse because it was such a great deal. When it arrived, I began looking through some of the recipes, all of which looked amazing! However, when my wife started preparing some of the recipes, I quickly realized they tasted even better. All the recipes we've tried so far have been wonderful and my wife says they've all been really simple too. I highly recommend this cookbook for interesting and unique food recipes that are wonderful and simple to prepare!
on September 2, 2011
I love cookbooks plain and simple. This one, it's ok. Nothing special on the receipe end. I was hoping for some new low-fat, low-carb fun receipes. It had a few, but not as many as I had hoped for. The show always demonstrated those unique, healthy food substitutes; the book had a few. Too many "weird" food items to make it a useful cookbook. I suppose if you are into it, the contestant pages could be inspiring. For me those were wasteful as I had enough of that from the show.....I wanted the cookbook to be more about new meals in my home. Also, the lack of pictures really discouraged me. I am a visual person and need that media to spark my food creativity. They should trade the contestant pages for dish picture pages.
on March 25, 2015
I gave this Book 4 stars: I haven't tried very many of the recipes yet; but I'm working on it! I know that the author of this cookbook is a great chef. She had her own T.V. Show some year's ago and I loved how easy and good her dishes were!. Now she prepares food for the Biggest Loser program. I can't go wrong with this purchase.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Flavors of the World is the second cookbook by the Biggest Loser team that we bought to review. We made five different recipes from it to thoroughly test it out. Here is what we found.

First, for users unfamiliar with the Biggest Loser cookbook series, be aware that while the book is 218 pages, not all of that is recipes. A substantial amount of the book is an intro to healthy eating, with information on calories and menu planning and so on. It's not that the information is unhelpful - but it does cut down on the number of pages devoted to recipes. Similarly, while I love photos of recipes, this one features huge full-page photos. So you get perhaps half the recipes you might be expecting as a result.

On to the recipes themselves. The only way to evaluate a cookbook is to evaluate the results of the recipes. Are they easy to understand? Create flavorful results? Meet the stated topic of the book?

My first concern is that the book claims to be "flavors of the world" - as compared with the other books which are all primarily US-centric recipes. So I was expecting a range of ethnic food types. However, one of the groupings is "regional American classics"! We already have multiple books with those. They should have used that space in this book for something NON-American.

The other areas are Italian, Asian, Mexican, Mediterranean, and European. So even there, much of what they call "Italian" I would call food that most people make in their homes. It is like calling "pizza" an Italian dish. Maybe it was once, but it has been absorbed into the US culture. I was hoping for a far wider reach with the recipes.

We made the Japanese cucumber salad. I have many Japanese cucumber salad recipes that I adore and I was quite looking forward to this. It was *awful*. It is pretty much cucumbers in unseasoned rice vinegar, with gobs of agave nectar to sweeten it up. So cucumbers in sugar-vinegar. I had to greatly modify this to finish up the rest of the cucumbers without throwing them out.

I adore potato pancakes, so I was thrilled to see a sweet potato baked version in here to try. However the recipe is a bit vague. You add in oat flour until "the potato mixture sticks together slightly and is not too wet". What does that mean? We tried our best to get this right, and they still would not hold together. They were more like hash browns.

The chicken satay came out better - really this is just marinated chicken with peanut sauce. I do resist it involving "coconut sugar" which is nearly impossible to find. Surely another easier to find ingredient could be used instead. It's required for both the marinade and the sauce. But yes, this is one we'd make again.

The caprese bowl was good too - but that hardly counts as a recipe. Grape tomatoes, mozzarella cubes, and basil. Olive oil and you're set. This is a staple of most households I know, and hardly needs to be in a cookbook. And speaking of unusual ingredients, this one includes *almond* mozzarella which only one manufacturer on the planet provides. You'd have to order it directly from them in expensive large chunks. I find that improper to include in a cookbook.

But the true nightmare definitely gets awarded to the ground turkey cabbage rolls. I am Ukrainian, and my boyfriend is Polish, so we both grew up having holopchi fairly regularly. I was greatly looking forward to learning how to make a healthy version of them. The instructions tell you - and I am not joking here - to boil the entire head of cabbage for 10 minutes. Then REMOVE THE BOILING HOT CABBAGE HEAD from the full pot of water (remember this thing weighs like a bowling ball now) - peel off a few leaves - and put it back into the pot. Then keep repeating! When I finally called my mother to ask her if this was right, she nearly had a fit. After we got from her the PROPER way to cook and prepare holopchi, we continued with the recipe as indicated, but it was the blandest result I could imagine! It was very, very disappointing. And the way they explain it, it is incredibly dangerous! So absolutely I caution anyone making that recipe to NOT do it their way and to look up a proper way of making holopchi and handling the cabbage.

So there are mixed results here. I liked the tomato salad - but that is a no-brainer common recipe and their inclusion of almond cheese was silly. I liked the chicken satay, but again that's a simple recipe and their inclusion of coconut sugar was silly. Some of the other recipes were just awful. And I think the book didn't do nearly enough in targeting its "world" audience.

Maybe borrow it from your library to see what it has, but really, I think you can do better with a google search to find some of these exact same recipes, without the bizarre ingredients.

I purchased this book with my own funds, in order to do this review.
on July 10, 2011
I checked this book out at my local library and thought that I would just copy down some of the best recipes for later use...well...I would have had to copy 3/4 of the book!! So the library book went back and I purchased my own copy! Not only are there lots of really great recipes, but there are wonderful stories of motivation and success. If you are trying to lose weight, or just want some great healthy recipes to try...I highly recommend this book!
on May 13, 2011
This cook book is exactly what I was looking for! I am a big fan of flavor, but in my own kitchen, I find that the more flavorful a recipe is, the more complicated and usually... fattening. This Flavors of the World cookbook is just the type of food that I like to eat - super flavorful, interesting, ethnic and best of all - easy to make. I've only made a few of the recipes so far, but they are not complicated and cook up easily. Last night I made the "Dan Dan Mian" over Udon noodles and I only had to run to the store for a few ingredients. It was so good that I think the recipe will now be a house favorite. It was very flavorful and done in about 13 minutes.

Since purchasing this book, I've purchased some ingredients that I wasn't previously familiar with: coconut sugar, avocado oil, wheat and oat flour, and salt-less salts... This book seems to really focus on reducing salt and bad ingredients, and I love that the calories and nutrition info is at the bottom of each recipe. This makes it so easy to stay on track with my eating plan. I am so excited to know that there are quick, easy, and healthy recipes for the flavorful food I love!!!
on November 29, 2012
This book has lots of recipes that look satisfying and will actually keep you on the diet track. Having the asian recipes alone is worth it!
on February 16, 2013
The book arrived in great condition and very quickly which was great. This particular edition on the Biggest Loser cookbooks required a lot of unusual ingredients that I did not have on hand and would not use often. I found this to be the case with many of the recipes. I have other editions of the Biggest Loser cookbooks that I really like, but this is not one of them.
on December 26, 2014
Very good recipes. Finding ingredients is a little hard in the regular markets. Some planning is needed to make sure you have items on hand before executing the recipes.
on August 12, 2013
I had high hopes for this book but it did not meet my expectations. A large chunk of the book is information on health and fitness, while it is helpful information this book should be mostly a cook book. Not as many recipes as I hoped for.