Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.

  • Apple
  • Android
  • Windows Phone
  • Android

To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.

Qty:1
FREE Shipping on orders with at least $25 of books.
Only 1 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
The Bill James Handbook 2... has been added to your Cart
FREE Shipping on orders over $25.
Condition: Used: Acceptable
Comment: Fast Shipping - Safe and Secure Bubble Mailer!
Have one to sell? Sell on Amazon
Flip to back Flip to front
Listen Playing... Paused   You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.
Learn more
See all 2 images

The Bill James Handbook 2011 Paperback – November 1, 2010

4.7 out of 5 stars 11 customer reviews

See all 2 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
Price
New from Used from
Paperback
"Please retry"
$24.95
$3.85 $0.01

"The Baseball Whisperer: A Small-Town Coach Who Shaped Big League Dreams"
Read the real story of a legendary coach and the professional-caliber baseball program he built, where boys come summer after summer to be molded into ballplayers — and men. Learn more | See related selections
$24.95 FREE Shipping on orders with at least $25 of books. Only 1 left in stock (more on the way). Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
click to open popover

Frequently Bought Together

  • The Bill James Handbook 2011
  • +
  • The Bill James Handbook 2012
  • +
  • The Bill James Handbook 2013
Total price: $76.85
Buy the selected items together

Editorial Reviews

Review

The prize of our winter hibernation. --Peter Gammons

The most essential annual published for the baseball fan. --Rob Neyer

James has become part of baseball legend. --The New Yorker

About the Author

Bill James has been writing about baseball and compiling reference books about baseball since 1975. He is currently the Senior Baseball Operations Advisor for the Boston Red Sox.
NO_CONTENT_IN_FEATURE

New York Times best sellers
Browse the New York Times best sellers in popular categories like Fiction, Nonfiction, Picture Books and more. See more

Product Details

  • Series: Bill James Handbook
  • Paperback: 520 pages
  • Publisher: ACTA Publications (November 1, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0879464399
  • ISBN-13: 978-0879464394
  • Product Dimensions: 9 x 7.1 x 1 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
  • Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (11 customer reviews)
  • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,322,463 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

Customer Reviews

Top Customer Reviews

Format: Paperback
The Handbook is one-stop shopping for analyzing the 2010 season and looking ahead to 2011.

New for this year but not listed in the product description above:

- The fielding component has been overhauled to include +/- data and Runs Saved for all players, not just the leaders and trailers;

- A new Hall of Fame Monitor, revised for the first time in 30 years, which assesses a player's likelihood of being elected to the Hall of Fame based on his accomplishments to-date;

- A pronunciation guide (helpful at the draft table and in social situations): for example, Kila K'aihue ... KEY-luh kuh-eye-HOO-ah.

A substantial upgrade.
Comment 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
The fun continues! Each year, I eagerly await the publication of the latest Bill James Handbook. A part of this is to see what their predictions are for the coming year and how well their predictions were from the previous season.

Last year's predictions. . . Winning predictions: Matt Cain. The Handbook projected him as 14-11 with a 3.36 ERA. Actual figures? 13-11 with a 3.14 ERA. Pretty good! On the other hand. Kevin Millwood was projected at 9-10 with a 4.37 ERA. He ended up at 4-16 and a 5.10 ERA. Oops! Or batters. Ross Gload was predicted to hit .281 with 5 home runs. Reality? .281 average with 6 home runs. Nice. Worst projection? Ryan Garko was projected to hit .282 with 16 home runs. He actually hit .091 with 0 homers.

What about career milestones? Derek Jeter is given a 99% chance of getting to 3,000 hits. Others with high probabilities of reaching that standard: A-Rod (93%), Johnny Damon (57%), Albert Pujols (51%). No one else rates at a 50% chance. 300 wins for pitchers? Pretty sad. The best shot is by Roy Halliday with a 42% chance, followed by C. C. Sabathia (38%). No one else even reaches the 20% chance plateau. Anyone with a chance to break Barry Bonds' mark for home runs? Alex Rodriguez earns a 33% chance, followed by Pujols with a 23% chance. After that? Forget about it.

Of course, there are the myriad other statistics throughout this volume. If you are a figure Filbert, this is hog heaven! Still worth a look if you are a baseball fan.
5 Comments 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
I Love the Bill James Baseball Handbook. I buy my copy every year, and every year it gets better and better. However more and more Baseball fans are just sticking with the internet. I just hope that this great book can always be published. For the serious Baseball fan Only, as the casual fan might get lost in all the stats, and facts.
This is NOT a book with a story, it is a Statistical book and is used as such. Every player to play at least one game in 2010, plus a few players that were injured, As well as some Japanese imports. The stats are out of this world. You have a player profile, it has year by year stats for a players whole career. Offensive for batters. and Pitching obviously for Pitchers. When a player played for more than one team in a season - It lists the total for the season in the bio, then it has team by team breakdowns for every player. Every stat you can think of is in here. It has defensive stats in there own section. It has a section for pinch hitting, Another section for Relief Pitching. Managers. Pitchers vs. Lefty and Righty batters. And of couse Batters vs. Lefty and Righty Pitching. There are probably less stats that this book doesn't have than it does. I still wish they published a yearly Minor league book. However this Major league Handbook is all a fan could ask for.
I just have to ask fans to buy the book, so It will always be published, and not become a relic, that will (God Forbid) Only be available On-Line. So Please Purchase this book.
Comment 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
I have gotten the Bill James Handbook since it first came out in the late 1980s. Every year I am as excited to receive my purchase as the first year. There is always something new and what there is of the old is outstanding. It's the only book I can find after all these years that is produced before Christmas which makes it the first Christmas gift for all my baseball fans. The Handbook is all I ever need for my fantasy baseball draft in March. This book is worth twice the price and I would even pay three times.
7 Comments 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
bii james baseball handbook beats them all.instead of waiting til april of 2011 we*ve got hundreds of 2010 stats at our fingertips..how bill and his staff get their info together in time for nov 1 release is amazing.
Comment 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback
Baseball is an ever-changing game. "The Bill James Handbook: 2011" is the latest edition of the Bill James handbook, offering a comprehensive statistics guide to the 2010 season in order to give baseball fanatics a more complete understanding of the upcoming 2011 season. Filled cover to cover with statistics as well as expert analysis on the upcoming 2011 season, "The Bill James Handbook" is a strong pick for anyone looking to be a more knowledgeable armchair baseball expert.
Comment One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse

Set up an Amazon Giveaway

The Bill James Handbook 2011
Amazon Giveaway allows you to run promotional giveaways in order to create buzz, reward your audience, and attract new followers and customers. Learn more about Amazon Giveaway
This item: The Bill James Handbook 2011