- File Size: 3814 KB
- Print Length: 147 pages
- Publisher: Dreaming Billabong Books (December 20, 2016)
- Publication Date: December 20, 2016
- Sold by: Macmillan
- Language: English
- ASIN: B06Y38W373
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#849,554 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #299 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Australian & Oceanian
- #3927 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- #4963 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
Price set by seller.
Billabong Escape (The Stolen Years) Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Emily and Jarrah are, for me, the protagonists of this series, so far. I am not a great fan of books written about children with children's points of view, however I knew from book one that my opinion on that was changing. Emily is hypnotic. She is an engrossing character, at the age of 7!. Emily is a member of the Fife clan, taken to her uncle's rural farm, away from the mafia type dangers in the city. Through her we see the changing, and at times, racially destructive evolvement of Australia and her people.
Jarrah, a descendant of the aboriginal people, is 11 years old and he has probably seen too much for his young years and innocent eyes, which will not remain innocent. This is a journey of two young people and the adults play a supporting role.
This is a sprawling, sweeping series, full of twists, and surprises. It is emotionally charged without losing its realism. A gem of a series.
Featured in all of the books are Emily and Jarrah. Emily is a member of the Fife clan, while Jarrah is the descendant of the aboriginal people who have lived in this part of Australia for thousands of years. We meet them here as children, she 7, he 11. In the company of Emily’s uncle Iain, they flee Sydney’s criminal/grafter underground and return to Fife Springs seeking safety. They find, however, that the little town is not the haven they had hoped for. This book, perhaps more than any of the other “Dreaming Billabong” novels, is full of rich details that make the Australia of the 1950s come alive. In a time of great social and political upheaval, we see the changing face of Australia through the eyes of 2 scared children. Like all of the novels in the series, this one is beautifully, almost poetically written. Each scene feels cinematic…it’s easy to imagine this as an epic movie, in the vein of “Giant” or “Raintree County.” Shell is a masterful storyteller who has a particular talent for imbuing her characters with humanity and for creating a picture of a particular place and time.
I should mention that, though this is a series of interconnected books, I have read them out of order and each can stand on its own. You don’t need to have read one to understand the others. But once you read one, you’re going to want to read them all!
I'm now on to the first book and look forward to reading it...
Most recent customer reviews
This interesting, Australian historical novel by talented Author Ryn Shell is well-researched and authentic.I'm Not Perfect and It's OkayRead more
It follows Emily and Jarrah's stories.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Australian & Oceanian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense