Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 106 reviews
on December 11, 2013
This is an excellent tool for binocular astronomy. The charts on the first and last pages show an overall image of the night sky for each of the seasons. Then, after a brief intro the reader will see how to choose an appropriate pair of binoculars suited to astronomy. The rest of the book contains magnified views of 99 areas from the seasonal charts showing interesting objects as they would be seen thru 10X50 binoculars. This is NOT in and of itself a beginners guide. For the beginner, I would suggest this book to show you exactly what you will see in binoculars, this movable chart Guide to the Stars that will work in conjunction with the charts in "Binocular Highlights" to guide you in learning the night sky and finding objects in it, and this book NightWatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe for more detailed information about astronomy and the universe as seen from our little planet.
AND, I would suggest that you get something like this Orion 5271 Versatile Tripod Mounting Adapter for Binoculars to mount your binoculars to a tripod or monopod. 10x50 binoculars can be handheld for viewing, BUT putting them (OR especially HIGHER powered binoculars) on a steady mount makes viewing MUCH nicer. I use both to hold my Pentax 65808 PCF II 10x50 Waterproof Binocular which are excellent binoculars for both astronomy and terrestrial viewing (I'm a birdwatcher too!).
on August 15, 2015
This makes for an excellent tour guide for those of us who are getting to know the night sky with our binoculars. I have a pair of Orion 9x63 mini giants and am able to see many of the objects listed even with city light pollution.

I highly recommend getting a green laser pointer. You can use it to point to one of the reference stars in the book while looking through your binoculars to help you point to the right location. Of course, never point the laser *into* the binoculars while using them or view anything shiny that the laser is bouncing off. But it's definitely safe to view the beam while it's pointing up to a star in the sky. Especially helps if you're using high magnification binoculars with a narrow field of view.
on June 13, 2013
I bought this new binocular astronomy guide to accompany my new giant binoculars. I have two other binocular astonomy guides, and while each of those have their strengths, this book hits a home run: It is neither too simplicistic to be of little use, nor too over-blown to use at night in the field. It's just right.

The charts are excellent for locating the targets under dim red light, and the descriptions are readable and succinct. Gary Seronik know his stuff. The binding allows the book to remain open while going back and forth from binos to book if necessary, and the pages are made of a good weight paper, glossy and durable, and seems as if they could take a few exposures to dewy nights. Each binocular feature has a brief description and occupies only one page, and the book also has star charts placed at the front and back of the book, showing the sky during different seasons -- very handy! -- if you want to leave the old planisphere in the house.

This book is worth every penny -- for beginners, or even someone with more experience (like myself) who doesn't have the chance to get out too much (since I live in the cloudy Pacific Northwest). Grab a dim red light, whatever binos you have, and get this book. Head outside for a fabulous tour of the night sky. Clear skies!
on April 27, 2015
A very handy guide for binocular observing. There are far more celestial objects observable with a good binocular than most people realize.
The information is presented in a logical way, with excellent diagrams. If you own a binocular, and are interested in viewing the night sky with it, Buy This Book!
on November 2, 2016
This is an excellent book for binocular observers or telescope observers of deep sky objects. For each object there is a clear and consice guide to how to locate the object by star hopping and a highly accurate star chart of the area of the sky where the object resides. So, I have found this book very useful for observing these 99 objects.
on October 1, 2014
Exceptional format and design for using binoculars for stargazing. The ebook version is great to bring out at night while stargazing. Jus t turn down the brightness on your Kindle first. Easy to use for beginners and still beneficial to serious amateur stargazers. I highly recommend. You will be surprised what you can see with just a pair of binoculars. Even my kids will use it with their friends. Thank you Sky & Telescope for this simple to use ebook. It's easy to bring out a pair of binoculars on a clear night. I enjoy looking for new star clusters. Setting up a telescope can be time consuming. I probably use binoculars about 80 days out of the year versus setting up a telescope only 20 times a year.
on February 2, 2016
A nice balance of a variety of interesting objects, Most of which, you can find with a typical pair of binoculars. For some objects you will be better off with a pair of 10 X 50 binocular's. You will also need seasonal sky maps, so this is a good second astronomy book.
on October 8, 2009
I have long had an interest in the stars. However, my interst was not strong enough to want to get buried in a telescope. The careful observing and scientific mindset of amature astronomers was just not working for me.

I suppose that I was more interested in the romance of the stars rather than the science they represent. I enjoy learing the constellations.

This book was a break-through for me. I already owned a good pair of binoculars, so one I had this book I was set.

The information is presented in a way a more causal observer can appreciate. In addition, it provides details a more experienced person will appreciate.

On the first two trips out with this book, I observed more than I ever imagined. As the seasons change, I will learn to see even more.

If you are a hard core astronomer, this books is probably too simple. If you want to simply look at the stars unaided, it is probably too deep. If you are like me, and fall between those categories, the book will serve you well.

The book is well printed, seems to deal with dew easily and is ring bound for easy use.
on November 27, 2016
I found this to be one of my favorite beginner books to give a budding astronomer.
on July 5, 2016
Wow! Wished I found this sooner. This great for a novice or experienced stargazer.