Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BioTech Pharmacal - D3-50 (50,000 IU) - 100 Count
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: 100|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 16, 2008
A great product, but don't use this as a daily Vitamin D3 supplement.

This high-dose Vitamin D3 pill is a specialized product used to quickly raise the blood levels of Vitamin D3 in an individual who is severely Vitamin D3 deficient. This dosage of Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is used primarily for Stoss Therapy. The usual dose is one 50,000 iu pill once a week for six to eight weeks. This dosage should normally be used in conjunction with a blood test to establish serum levels of 15 hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) before and after administration of six to eight weeks of once-weekly doses.

Although warnings about the toxic effects of Vitamin D3 have been exaggerated, a daily dose of 50,000 iu Vitamin D3 taken long-term has been shown to frequently induce spillage of calcium into the urine, and, in some individuals, kidney stones. The FDA says the high safe dose of Vitamin D3 is 2000 iu, which is very conservative. Based on recent research, several journal articles argue for daily doses ranging from 2,000 to 5,000 iu daily. None recommend 50,000 iu daily.

Supplementation is very appropriate if you are dark-skinned, older, do not expose skin to midday sun, or, if you regularly wear sunblock products. Vitamin D3 has been shown to reduce the incidence of cancer, many auto-immune diseases, and, inflammatory and infectious processes. Vitamin D3 is also protective of bone and muscle.

Again, the 50,000 iu dose is used in Stoss therapy. Don't use this product on a daily basis.

The optimal daily dose ranges from 2,000 to 5,000 iu of Vitamin D3. 2,000 iu is most appropriate for young and middle-age adults who are light-skinned and receive some Vitamin D3 from sun. 5,000 iu is most appropriate for older adults who absorb less Vitamin D3 from the gut and dark-skinned adults who do not create as much Vitamin D3 when they are exposed to sunlight. Biotech Labs also markets a 5,000 iu pill. Again, the FDA says 2,000 iu is the high safe dose for Vitamin D3.

You can also request a routine 25 hydroxyvitamin D test from your physician to establish your own Vitamin D3 blood level. 50 nanomoles/microliter are thought by current researchers to be adequate; 80 nanomoles/microliter are thought to be optimal. The majority of Americans are Vitamin D3 deficient.

The Vitamin D Council (vitamindcouncil.com)written primarily by Dr. John Cannell, MD is a good place to start your research.

Technical:
Several Vitamin D3 researchers are currently arguing for a daily dose of 2,000 to 5,000 iu to achieve an optimal Vitamin D3 serum (blood) level of 70 to 80 nanomoles per liter.

Here's a representative quote from one researcher:

"Generally, blood levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D), the non-active 'storage' form, of 50 nanomoles per litre (nmol/L) are suggested as the lower limit of the normal range. Studies have reported however that levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), a hormone that regulates calcium balance, and calcium absorption are not optimised below serum 25(OH)D levels of 80 nanomoles per litre."

The researcher, Sonia Talwar, reported that the a dose of 800 iu raised 25(OH)D levels from a baseline average of 47 nmol/L to 71.4 nmol/L after three months. After additional three months at a higher dose (2,000 IU), the average serum concentration of 25(OH)D was 87 nmol/L."

Cited from:

"Dose response to vitamin D supplementation among postmenopausal African American Women." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; Sonia A Talwar, et al., Bone Mineral Research Center, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY

I should note that I am not a researcher or a medical professional.
4141 comments| 339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2011
I am a physician who not only prescribes this product but takes it as well. On the bottle itself it does not say how to take it. If you are deficient in Vit D by a blood test, you should take it once a week. If you do not know your Vit. D level, take it monthly. The reason for this is that too much Vitamin D can cause high calcium levels that can lead to kidney failure, constipation and mental status changes. Anyone who takes it more than once a week should do so under a physicians supervision. This product allows you to replenish your Vitamin D stores without taking a lot of pills which for most people is a real plus. The recommended daily dose is 1000 to 2000 units so this product allows you to get your monthly dose in one pill. It is also very cost efficient this way.
88 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2011
I have had serious discomfort due to reoccurring sinus- and lung infections every time I catch the flue or the common cold and also in the spring time when pollen is high. Last winter I had to take 5 rounds of antibiotics because of this. It does not seem to matter if I get the flue shot, I actually get sick from that sometimes and then still get the flu and I always get really sick, coughing and losing sleep for 2-3 weeks after each flu. I live on 64°N and my Vitamin-D level was low when I got tested.
I did not get the flue shot this year and when ever I feel sickly that has happened 3 times since September I do "Stoss Therapy" [...]
I've also taken one of these pills 2--3 times a month but I recently I changed to 5000IU daily as I would forget to take these.
Long story short, I have not had a single respiratory infection or constipation since I started this in September 2010. I also notised that I have lost weight, I suddenly did not feel like eating sugar any more and I a hard core sugar addict! Perhaps this is because I sleep better since I breath better. This product rocks! I take one or two Calcium/Magnesium/Zink with my Vitamin D, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solaray-Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc-Caps/dp/B004F80PU8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1297265287&sr=8-6
0Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
We don't understand why so many people (Medical Doctors included) continue to allege Vitamin D3 is toxic. Though D3 is not toxic, D2 [D(ERGO)] can be toxic (or is synthesized with dyes that can be toxic). This form of vitamin D3 is water-miscible; respectively, the body only absorbs and distributes what it needs; any excess is discharged. Though D2 can be harmful to kidneys; D3 promotes healthy kidney function. The benefits of vitamin D3 (and its lack of toxicity) has been well researched and reported with thousands of articles; not the least of which is the whitepaper written by: Dr. J. Joseph Prendergast, MD; titled: "Vitamin D3 Spray Whitepaper". The article is well written in layman's terms.

Knowledgeable Health care practitioners wisely recommend that when supplementing a diet with D3 and K2 you should never take calcium supplements; just eat a normal healthy diet. In fact, for those that may experience pain in their extremities after taking large doses of D3, the culprit is not likely the D3; rather, they are most likely suplimenting calcium (which should never be done) it is actually hard not to get sufficient calcium if you have enough D3 and K2 (MK7).

The body will produce 10,000 to 40,000 IU of D3 in 20 min of direct sun exposure (no more than that is recommended without sunscreen) after 20 min. the body reaches equilibrium; or, runs out of available cholesterol (which the body uses to naturally produce D3). The body can naturally produce 30,000 to 60,000 IU of D3 daily if two to three 10–20 min. periods (maximum of 20 min./period of exposure) sun exposure are evenly spread out across the day. If the body will naturally produce that much D3 in a day, how can it be harmful to take that much of a natural supplement of D3?

I learned about D3 because my MD prescribed daily doses of 50,000 IU of D3 (I take 1-Bio-Tech D3-50 50,000 IU), 700 mcg of K2 (I take 7-NOW Foods Vitamin K-2,100mcg)(K2 is a necessary D3 companion vitamin for proper assimilation of D3) and 20,000 IU of Vitamin A (I take 2-Solgar Vitamin A 10,000 IU)to fight a melanoma that developed on my ear lobe. That treatment is going quite well. Canada reported running a test with some of their school's children wherein they gave students a massive dose of 500,000 IU D3 at the beginning of the school year for each year for five years (the reported results were incredible).

Again, all too often medical doctors treat D1, D2 and D3 as if they were the same thing, having the same effect. They are not the same and they do not have the same effect. D and D2 can be toxic; however, it makes no sense that D3 could possibly be. Just as there is a distinctive difference between vitamin D [ERGO] and vitamin D3, there is a significant difference between vitamin K1 and vitamin K2; K1 (usually synthetic) can interfere with high blood pressure medication treatments K2 does not (we only use the natural form MK-7 "menaquinone"; for example: NOW Foods Vitamin K-2,100mcg, 100 Vcaps).

The bottom line: people need to remember that medical doctors rarely get more that an introductory class in health in their normal training (if that); respectively, they are not generally trained in basic nutrition and/or health. Respectively, they are not generally the best source for learning about such matters. However, it is important to learn first, all you can about any nutritional claims from any source; especially if the source is promoting their own product. First, learn about the product, nutrient or supplement before taking anything; and, whenever possible use natural sources. In this case the best source for vitamin D3 is the sun. However, today it is -9°F outside; so, I am going to get my daily dose of 50,000 IU Vitamin D3 and 700 mcg Vitamin K2 from supplements.
3131 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2013
REMEMBER to take this with vitamin K2 (mk7), about 200 mcg of K2 is needed everyday with every 50,000 D3!!!!!!! This D3-50 is awesome at chasing off colds, flus, pneumonia and bronchitis for me within 3 days of starting it, I take 1000 units per pound of body weight everyday for three days, -thats right 200,000+ 3xs! I have emphysema and I can not let a cold take its course because in one day it progresses to pneumonia, but not anymore. Normally this just a once a week or twice a month dosage, my doctor wants me to take it three times per week but the corresponding K2 dosage I can not afford so I don't.

Now, it MUST be taken along with vitamin K2 because K2 directs calcium in the body back in to the bones and all this D3 will have the calcium really flowing around and very ready to be absorbed by anyplace it can bind to - bad news for the brain and heart where it can harden the plaque in valves and arteries and extra calcium is a nightmare to the nervous system. So if you are not going to take K2 do not take D3 either. In nature the two vitamins come together in live fermented foods and fresh dairy but with the pasteurization process the K2 gets destroyed, so thats why you don't get enough in your foods to maintain good health.
on August 25, 2011
I keep this bottle of D3 50,000iu on hand. My husband takes one daily (more or less) because he is overweight and has type 2 diabetes. Whenever one of us is sick (which is quite rare now*) I dispense these (1,000 per pound of body weight). My 13 year old daughter weighs 130 so she gets 3 50,000iu for 3-5 days. I had her levels tested recently and her level was 99ng/ml -- which was optimal. Mine is 70ng/ml -- which is also optimal. Neither of us has been sick with a cold for a couple of years now. Since my daughter's levels are optimal, I do not supplement during the summer. During the fall and winter she will get 5,000iu daily. I will do the same. Since my daughter does not like taking pills, I very often will just give her 50,000iu every 10 days or 3 50,000iu every month (which works out to 5,000iu daily). Although the pills are tiny, they are potent and will bring your levels up quickly if you are deficient.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2015
I did not buy this from Amazon. Would very much like to give it "5 stars", yet honestly I'm not sure if the good health effects I recently been experiencing can be solely attributed to this product, or to combination of other factors.

I've had severe vitamin D deficiency for long time. Years on, I tried taking D supplements in pill and capsule (400 IU), then D Drops (2000 IU). Nothing. My doc prescribed D shots, 300,000 IU, still nothing.

About 5 months ago, another doc gave me the Bio Tech 50,000 capsules. They were 4 caps, to be taken once a week, for 4 weeks. After completion of the 4 week course, noticed marked positive difference with respect to many health conditions, I was suffering from over the years, and last few months. Here is a brief of my ailments, apparently cured by this vit D:

1. Chronic insomnia for many ... many years. Sleeping an average of 2-3 hours/day!! Visited all kinds of doctors, clinics, taken all kinds of supplements for sleep. All useless. Yet now, for the first time, as I say, god knows how many years, I can put my head to rest. Not necessarily fall asleep right away, but takes around 30-45 minutes or so, then sleep for about 5 hours!!

The sleep thing, was wrecking havoc on my life, affected every aspect of my day, work, relationships, eating habits, etc. I was nervous, edgy, easy to anger, infuriate, etc. Now much, so much better!

2. For the past 2 years been having sharp pain in the heel area (like bone spur - which I do not have as tested by X ray), when I jog - prefer not to run for fear of pain in that area - or do jumping rope. That is gone now, as of last couple of months!

3. Also in same area, lower extremities, legs, had sharp shooting pain whenever I try to bend over to lift something off the floor. Gone!

4. My face was always kind of swollen. May be adrenal exhaustion! Now clam, rested features.

I am no longer vitamin D deficient. Yet still taking 50k caps every week, as my D level continues to improve. Was 10 ng, now around 30 ng.

I should add this NOTE:

1) For more than 10 years, I was taking vitamin A 5000-10,000 IU on almost daily basis. My A level, turned out to be - according to recent test - toxic** = 90 mcg/dL. That in itself, was probably a major contributing factor for the D deficiency! Beside the fact, that I am indoor person (no sun) year round! As I understand now, vitamin A (in excess) antagonize/depletes D stores.

2) As I researched the web for further info on vitamin D, I noticed that many trusted medical sources recommend the use of co-factors like Calcium, Magnesium, K, etc...when taking large amounts of D. Tried few times to follow such recommendations, but started to experience ill effects, like bone pain, constipation, pallor (anemia like!), etc. After which I resolved to use D alone, without co-factors. Consume a normal diet containing Ca, Mg, K, from food sources as yogurt, milk, green leafy vegetables.

** I did have the classic symptoms of vitamin A toxicity, but didn't know what it meant at the time! Symptoms like: itchy skin, scalp, blurred vision, enlarged liver !, hair loss, etc...and not to forget! Insomnia.

Hope this comment will be of help to someone, somewhere, who been suffering - like I did - health and life debilitating effects of vitamin D deficiency.

Best of health to all.
on June 19, 2010
Taking Vitamin D3 has turned my life around. When I had a stage 2 melanoma mole removed in 2002 and began avoiding the sun, I became very sick with CFS,
Hashimoto thyroiditis,gum disease even brushing and flossing regularly and professional cleaning 4 times a year and eating an organic whole foods diet.
I ordered this product from Bio Tech directly 3 years ago and brought my blood
levels up quickly. Now I maintain them at around 90 iu with 5000 to 10,000 a
day. I have lost about 15 pounds much of it belly fat, have had no colds, flu, asthma,or even spring allergies. I am amused at the fear of high levels when the price of deficency is so great and researchers keep raising the recommended levels. I now keep these on hand to help others "fill their tank" as they wake from the "dark ages". Check out [..] Amazon has such a great price and service from this very reliable lab that I am going to experiment taking 1 a week.
55 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2009
If you work indoors, odds are that you're deficient in Vitamin D -- even more so in the Winter, if you're dark-skinned, and the further away from the equator you live.

This supplement is an excellent way to help correct your levels. Dr John Cannell at the Vitamin D Council has researched dose extensively, and found 10,000 IU per day to be safe over the long-term; the skin produces about that much Vit D in response to 20 to 30 minutes of summer sun exposure. However, correcting low blood levels often requires a higher dose, which is where this product comes in. You should only use it daily for one to three months, hopefully with a blood test every month or so to check your progress. Research shows that ideal levels are between roughly 60 ng/mL and 120 ng/mL (150 to 300 nmol/L). After your levels correct, to maintain them you can switch to taking either one 50,000 IU capsule per week, or 5,000 to 10,000 IU per day on days that you don't get plenty of sun.

Low levels of Vit D have been associated with higher rates of cancer (including breast, ovarian, prostate, colon, kidney, endometrial and lymphoma), heart disease, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and even the flu -- as well as lower rates of injury from falls and fractures. There is good evidence to suggest that adequate levels of Vit D can protect you from H1N1 as well or better than immunization. In fact, the Winter decline in Vit D has been implicated as one of the underlying causes of flu season.

Another tidbit about getting Vit D from the sun: while sun exposure does increase the risk of certain skin cancers, those cancers are also the most curable forms. The flip-side is that limiting sun exposure reduces your Vit D level, which puts you at much higher risk for getting the really nasty, incurable cancers. Is the trade-off really worth it? Our Paleolithic ancestors certainly spent plenty of time in the sun.
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2013
I try to keep my Vitamin D levels between 50-100 ng/ml on a 25 hydroxy D test. I had been taking 10,000 daily for 6 months without fail and my blood tests only registered in the low 30s. So I started taking this daily for 3 months and I tested in the low 50s. I'm now around 70 and take this 2-3 times a week.

These might sound too high, but your body would biologically make 25,000 iu daily in a few hours near the equator where we evolved before it would stop (because your body will not overproduce D.) So a biological dose is 25,000 iu, not 2000 iu.commonly found in D supplements. You might need a lesser dose to maintain good levels, but if you are fat, have diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis, a broken bone or other conditions you probably need a high level. If you have no gallbladder you probably need a dry form like this one.

The only way to know if you have enough is to take a $40 vitamin D test (available from the Vitamin D Council.) And beware of old reference ranges that show 30 ng/ml as high or sufficient. The new data shows 50-100 is the target range. It is amazingly difficult to overdose on Vitamin D unless you have a granulomatous disease or hyperparathyroidism,

And can't you get it from the sun for free? Well yes, if you live south of Atlanta, are Caucasian, work in the sun without sunscreen between the hours of 11:00 and 1:00. And you can't shower for 3 days because the bacteria on your skin make the vitamin and need time to manufacture and absorb it. The shower is the biggest obstacle eventhough sunshine vitamin D is superior. So spend time in the sun and take your vitamin D too.