BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 30, 2011
Buying the combination of these games together seemed like a steal when I first saw it.

Oblivion. As other reviewers have noted, this is the regular version of the game, not the Game of the Year edition which includes the expansions. I was fine purchasing that since I'm just a casual gamer who probably would never get around to the additional content. The open-endedness of the game is astonishing. If you're familiar with the series (I'm a Morrowind fan myself), then you'll feel right at home with Oblivion. Even though the game is beautiful in appearance straight out of the box, there are plenty of graphical mods out there for Oblivion which will really enhance your experience if you have the system to run it. My system is "okay" or "decent," and I can run it on "Very High" settings at 1280x1024 (my monitors maximum resolution unfortunately) without issues. Additionally, I've installed many, many texture packs (namely Qarl's Texture Pack 3: Redimized), and feel that although the game has become far more impressive in appearance, I still don't have any frame rate issues. My only gripes with the game is that the interface seems like it was ported directly from a console. This can be fixed with mods though.

Bioshock. I really wish I could give this game a great review, but I just can't. I haven't even been able to really experience the game for one main reason. Lots of people who are playing the game on either Vista or Windows 7 (x86 OR x64) have issues where the in-game audio stops after the first cut-scene. I'm one of those. Although there are plenty of work-arounds available on the internet, they are not cut and dry solutions that will work for everyone. Namely, they did not work for me. While I'm sure Bioshock is a great game since it's been lauded so highly by big-name reviewers, I just can't offer it the same. It should be noted that my experience is probably in the minority, but that it is a real risk/problem for potential buyers whose computers are running either Windows Vista or 7.
As a note, although one or more of these fixes has seemed to work for a fair number of people out there suffering from the same problem as I have, they failed to work for me. I have tried the following:
1. "Fooling" Windows into thinking that a microphone is plugged in by enabling the Stereo Mixer audio device under the Control Panel.
2. Tweaking the ini file.
3. Patching to the latest available version (which was supposed to correct certain audio issues).
4. Running the game as an administrator.
5. Running the game in compatibility mode (I've tried XP Service Packs 3 and 2).
6. Messing around with the in-game audio options with the hopes that the "perfect mix" would fix the problem.

Ultimately, I have to say that I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to playing Bioshock. Without any sound, I just don't feel the game is as immersive or intriguing as it should be. If you're planning to play the game on XP, then I would strongly recommend it. If you're playing on Windows 7 or Vista, then be wary. Although it's unlikely you will encounter this issue, it's certainly an unfortunate possibility.
on July 23, 2013
Both award winning games, Bioshock and Oblivion have some awesome content, but no so good gameplay.

Bioshock: I felt like I was playing an RPG in linear, hallway style levels. The innovative weapons, story and creatures kept me distracted from this fact for a little while, but then it just became tedious. I don't mind linear games, as long as I can move through them quickly. But in Bioshock, you have to go back and forth through the linear levels to get this gadget or kill this monster. This would be good in larger, open levels, but just plain boring in this game.

Oblivion: Almost the opposite is true of Oblivion. They got the open world part right, but the story is horrible. It's the worst story line of any RPG I have ever played. Some portal to "Oblivion," where there are lots of red goblins, stays open indefinitely while you wander around completing time-consuming missions that don't matter... boring...

My recommendation: put your money towards the newer titles of Bioshock Infinite or Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. I think you'll have more luck there. Bioshock Infinite opened their levels up, and Skyrim developed a better story. If you have a lot of time on your hands and you don't mind wasting it, then this package is a good deal for you.
on January 9, 2014
Caveat: I purchased this bundle when it was lurking at $4.99. These are two incredible games which are deservedly hyped as classics. It should be noted that at the time of writing, the graphics for both of these games are beginning to age less than perfectly, but in my opinion the story and voice acting makes up for this short-coming. Both games feature a star studded cast of voice actors, notably Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean in Oblivion, and Andrew Shimmerman in Bioshock, and the general audio quality of the game is absolutely fantastic.

I can't recommend the two games enough, but as other posters have pointed out, Oblivion does not come with the game of the year additions, including the Knight of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansion packs, which are excellent additions and well worth looking into, but in this reviewer's opinion, the bundle is worth it, even without.
on September 19, 2016
Was excited to play thru both games, especially BioShock. One big problem it did not come with the activation code so you can actually load the game. You can get a activation code but to do that you need the serial number for the game which was not included either. Very unhappy.
on May 23, 2011
1) Pricing 10/10 - I got this for under $10. Great deal!
2) Game play 10/10 - I've only played "Oblivion" so far, and although it may be 4 years old, it's still great. I'm very impressed with the graphics, the AI, the storyline. I originally bought this package just for the soundtrack - and I'm not disappointed. The music is superior and just what I expected.
3) Performance 9 / 10 - I have a budget machine, so if I have ALL the graphics settings on high, it takes a little long for new areas to load. Medium-high settings still looks great and the load times are short enough that I barely notice.

If you are considering this deal - go ahead and buy it. It doesn't have both expansions, but I bought one for $8.50 recently.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2016
Originally rated as 4 stars, but ultimately they're both incredibly good games. Thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock, and couldn't get enough play out of oblivion. Probably played 100-150 hours in Oblivion.
on December 3, 2013
Bought it for Bioshock so I haven't played Oblivion yet but it was a great deal for 2 games. I have a Thinkpad W530 with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and did not have any issues with Bioshock playing, maybe I just got lucky for having no issues but it's a great game so far
on December 27, 2011
I bought this just for Oblivion, I haven't played Bioshock at all because I'm wary of the DRM. Oblivion was a fantastic game. I'm a big fan of FPS/RPG games, so that helps, but it's executed well. The skills are improved by their use, which makes sense and makes it fun, but I admit to just sticking a pencil in the keyboard to keep casting a spell and coming back later. Some of the missions leave you wondering what you are supposed to be doing, but the more you play, the more you figure out how the game directs your mission progress.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2013
So, I mostly bought this for oblivion (I do plan on trying out bioshock). I really like it a lot. It's like a mixture of guildwars, diablo, and neverwinter nights. Just sometimes it seems too big (the map). But it's good. I keep finding new things to do! I have no idea how long it takes to beat or anything, but it's keeps me occupied- not to mention there's a good bit of side quests and you can go off exploring as you wish!
on February 25, 2012
Okay, do not listen to other reviews about how the game said it was the Game of the Year edition, but it wasn't. What it actually says is that both games are winners of game of the year awards. It says nothing about any edition.
I have not played Bioshock because I bought the product for oblivion. Oblivion is a great game and works great, but the graphics are dated.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.