Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on December 16, 2011
I did learn some statistics from this book, but I found Rosner's Fundamentals of Biostatistics to be more useful and easier to understand.

Pros:
- They do a decent job of explaining some difficult concepts

Cons:
- If you don't like textbooks that try to liven-up dry subject matter with humor, then you will hate this book. These guys go overboard.
- The humor is mostly crude and I found it distracting more than anything.
- Often times they will introduce a formula, then give no example of it being used. Rosner does a good job of following up formulas and concepts with well written examples.
- I often spent a lot of time trying to grasp a topic in this book, only to find, when I opened up Rosner, I could figure it out quickly.
- Lots of unnecessary writing (mostly related to their attempts at humor)

Intuitive Biostatistics by Motolsky is also good if you are only interested in learning broad concepts. It does not delve into the math.
on April 23, 2014
I had to buy this book for a biostats class in pharmacy school. It does a decent job explaining concepts, but sometimes it was hard to follow. Honestly, I really didn't care for the crude humor. I don't mind those kinds of jokes, but they were just awkward, not funny. My teacher found many other subjects to use as analogies to explain concepts, but apparently this guy thought it would be "cool" to talk about penises all the time (no joke). It's fine if you want to joke about that kind of stuff when you're at a bar with good friends, but not in a textbook that's used in professional programs.
on April 22, 2010
The book is simple minded and easy to understand without the complicated math. But there are two versions of the book. One comes with a bonus disk with SPSS. The other does not come with any disk at all. So you have to be sure you know what you are getting. Unfortunately I wanted the bonus disk with SPSS but I got the book without it. So I am stuck.
on February 6, 2011
Love this book! I have used this more than any other statistics texts on my shelf! Arrived in excellent condition, in the time frame promised. The disc enclosed cannot be used with a Mac computer, however.
on February 28, 2010
The authors describe stats in a very humorous and unique way keeping my attention as I read through what is a potentially very dry subject. Some examples are using z-score test to see if a product such as "mangro" is statistically significant in growing you know what and using ANOVA to compare various condom brands to see if anything is statistically significant. The authors have some sort of sick humor, but it gets the point across and keeps me up as I read it. My only negative about the book is I would like to have more example problems in the back that I could work out. There are some at the end of every chapter, but only about 5. To really get some of these complex statistical tests down, I felt I needed a bigger variety of tests.
on April 30, 2014
This is my favorite Biostat book. It covers everything that I and most medical scientists and readers would need. It is clear and understandable. Most importantly, it is very readable. Unlike other statistics books it is FUNNY! This makes it fun to read, of course, and, if you read it, you learn. I bought this copy as a gift for a trainee.
on November 16, 2008
This book is a rare perl in a field known for its dryness and impenetrability. Not only is it short, very practical and very understandable, it is also one of few statistical titles where you will find yourself laughing out loud every few pages. Amazing and delightful!
on August 20, 2013
The book does a good job of laying out the topics in simple terms without a lot of excess. The humor is helpful. Use it to lay a foundation or to reference quickly. Other books will challenge and deepen your knowledge.
on October 21, 2012
Book is not that helpful with cut and dry concepts and calculations, but it does contain entertaining input from the authors throughout... I am required to have this book, but might've considered another if I were a biostatistics major...
on October 3, 2010
It is a good book with not too much mathematics but language is little tough for those who are not native english speakers. Also I could not find video lectures on the CD- Rom. I can only see SPSS sotware.