Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 394 reviews
on August 15, 2017
Was hard for me to get into but what I read was pretty good. A lot of information but some of it was hard to comprehend
on March 31, 2015
I'm into natural childbirth and crunchy granola stuff, but I didn't really get into this book. I'm an artist professionally, so maybe this just isn't meant for me (I think art therapy assumes you don't make art already, but I could be totally off base about that). I can see how it may be great for others, and in fairness, I didn't do the exercises, although I did think through some of them. And it's not that I didn't benefit at all from reading it, just didn't get as much out of it as I'd hoped.
on December 18, 2013
I bought this book on the recommendation of my midwife. She said to skip all the art therapy stuff and just read the parts that actually address childbirth. It was a very positive book and the information was very accessible, but some of the suggestions weren't that practical, at least for me. If you're really and truly committed to a natural, drug-free birth, this is a good book. If you're sitting on the fence (as I was), it doesn't do a very good job of explaining how absolutely committed you need to be to give birth to your child without drugs. If you're in special circumstances like preterm labor (again, as I was), this book is next to useless.
on June 22, 2017
Read it, ready to resell
on April 30, 2015
I recently purchased this book, April 2015. Written in 1998, I don't feel that this book has much to offer the newer generation of birthing moms. We are more informed, perhaps, than the mothers-to-be of the 90s. Potentially revolutionary for 1998, I felt that this book was dated for this era.

Some of the exercises are interesting. I really found the "birth art" section interesting.

The home-birth section is simply incorrect. She starts that chapter by saying she wasn't going to include it at all, which would've been a better choice. She does not have much information on the subject, she does not seem to have faith in that system whatsoever. And says that home is a good place to labor with a midwife until your eventual transfer to a hospital. (Unless your baby falls out of you there). Clearly, she has not witnessed a home birth, nor does she believe in them. Odd and off-putting to say the least.

What is the thesis of this book? To help women have a "full experience" in labor. In an unmedicated hospital birth. The chances of that happening in this day and age are very rare. Once you get to the hospital it's very difficult to keep the drugs at bay. Her theories seem to line up with the home-birth movement, but that is not what she writes about.

I was disappointed greatly by this "birth guide." Perhaps this was eye-opening 20 years ago, but younger mamas, you could learn much more from anything Ina-May Gaskin writes.
on November 17, 2014
I bought this book as a requirement to a birthing from within childbirth class I was going to take. I ended up taking the Bradley method classes instead--highly recommend.
I read this book anyways I found a lot of very useful info to help me prepare to have a positive, fearless childbirth.
Some parts of the book were a little boring. I didn't want to draw pictures about what I imagined my birth to look like.
on June 25, 2011
This book was ok for me, not spectacular not horrible. I could do without the artsy stuff in the beginning. I would say that I don't think this helped me prepare for birth in any way but I still liked reading it for the most part, at least after about chapter 16 or so. I noticed one comment saying that this book was more for the all natural non medicated approach but I would say that didn't seem overly implied to me. Borrow it from a friend first, if you really like it and it's techniques buy it for yourself. I am going to be donating mine to the borrowing library at my midwifery's birthing center.
on September 5, 2013
I can absolutely see how someone might love this but this was a little over the top for me. I preferred Ina May's Guide to Childbirth much better. I did like how she attempts to address fear from a rational standpoint and encourages a person to ask every woman about their birthing experience with suggested questions. Those questions quided me in gaining a better perspective instead of just asking "how was your birth and what happened?"
on December 16, 2014
I likes some of what was said and it really did help prepare me for my home birth! But there was alot that was skimmed over.. I think its just for a different individual. Drawing your idea of birth was the best thing I gleaned. Seems foo foo but if you are truthful to yourself it will help prepare you. Home birth.
on April 22, 2015
Book written like its for a instructor of class of one. Decent and occasionally thought-provoking content. I used to recommend for my clients, now that I'm the pregnant one, I will hesitate to recommend in the future.