Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 186 reviews
on August 16, 2017
I have been binge-listening to audiobooks featuring FBI Special Agent Patrick Bowers. In The Bishop, Patrick and Tessa are spending the summer in the D.C. area as Patrick is teaching at Quantico. Of course, Patrick cannot go anywhere without being pulled into an investigation. The horrific murder at a primate research center is just the beginning of an intense killing spree. Familiar characters are on board to get the crimes solved, but the perpetrators are in this for personal reasons, making the stakes life and death for all the characters.

The Bishop is another creepy, creepy story. James adds just enough detail to let the reader’s imagination take flight. The result is especially chilling. Patrick Bowers is a complex character, with many flaws, but also with deep love and loyalty. His personal life is as interesting as the gruesome cases he investigates. Tessa, Patrick’s step-daughter, is the character that contemplates the spiritual aspects within the novel. The Bishop focuses on man’s free will versus instinct. Tessa’s investigation of evolutionary theories and moral arguments is a great counterpoint to the crimes detailed within the book.

While The Bishop may not be for everyone (especially those with queasy stomachs), it is a thrill ride. Great writing, compelling characters, and thought-provoking themes make this one a perfect choice for those looking for a suspense-filled thriller. Note: The Bishop is the 4th book in the series, but can be read as a standalone.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.
on September 7, 2014
I really liked James' previous book in the series, "The Knight", but I really had a difficult time finishing this one. It was quite long and wordy (over 500 pages) with a lot of the author's diatribe about social and ethical issues relating to abortion, genetics, and stem cell research thrown in. It was much more obvious in this one that James was using his novel as a platform to share his views on these issues. Some of which I agree with and some I don't. But, the biggest difference in this story is that there seemed to me far less suspense than in previous stories. A lot of dialog and less action. Much was focused on the behind-the-scenes investigative action (criminal profiling, steps/processes, criminal psychology, etc.) and less about what was actually going on in the story. And, most of it was quite technical and heavy for the average layman to understand, let alone enjoy. So, while this was a decent story, I was severely disappointed with this one compared to James' other works. Nevertheless, it left the reader with a bit of a cliffhanger to carry over to the next book in the Bowers series.
on December 28, 2016
This is the biggest estate crafted novel I've ever read. I bought this copy as a gift for my daughter because I'm so impre $ed with the caliber of writing. Unlike Gone Girl that relied on sensationalism as its hook, this novel, hooks you with the storytelling and good writing, though the elements of sensationalism are there, had the author stooped to using them, but Mr. James did nit. Instead he transcended the subject matter of his protagonist's career aND gave him ordinary life problems, Malinga him an identifiable character.
Excellent story and superb writi,g
on February 2, 2014
I bought opening moves as a hardcover for my husband for vacation. Well I ended up reading it and then had to go buy the kindle versions so I could keep reading the series. I'm hooked. His ability to make the characters believable and has given them all unique souls to ponder the world they live in. This series could equally be read by men, ladies or young teen readers as the story line intertwines all of the characters and each one has a moan or contribution to the telling of the tail. Enjoy
on May 8, 2014
This was my introduction to the work of Mr. Steven James and can I say, Well Done Thy Good and Faithful Writer!!!!!!!!

OMG, this book was so well written that I immediately looked for my next read from him, and then the next, and then the next. I cannot wait until Checkmate comes out in Summer of 2014. As stated in my review of The King, the dialogue is thought provoking and the characters compelling. I daresay the dialogue in this book is even more probing than the King. I actually wanted to run out and form discussion groups around the questions and thoughts posted by Tessa (Agent Bowers stepdaughter) and Agent Bowers (the main character). The characters are written such that they seem like real people. You love some of them, you dislike some of them (quite thoroughly), and then you are intrigued by some of them. Mr. James is a ridiculously thorough writer...leaves no stone unturned and still manages to leave you wanting more. Two thumbs up to him!
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2011
I love Patrick Bowers and in this 4th book he doesn't disappoint. It is a fast paced, very imaginative, psychological thriller. It is also very gory, and may not be for everyone. Steven James' writing is fresh and the story line extremely engaging. It's almost like the best Criminal minds episode I have ever seen.

I loved reading more about his relationship with his stepdaughter Tessa. Tessa is a throughly engaging and very intelligent 17 yr old that seems wiser beyond her years. The bantering back and forth between her and Patrick is a wonderful addition to this book.

The usual cast of characters is back with Margaret now his boss and both Cheyenne and Lien-hua as love interests. I love how Steven James usually leaves an opening or two and the end of the story to keep you wanting more, BUT, this time I didnt think it was fair that he ended the book with "TO BE CONTINUED". Yikes, we cant just tune in next week. That is the only reason I gave him 4 stars on THE BISHOP. I really wish he would have ended it. With that said, I am definitely getting THE QUEEN (book 5) to see how it ends. Hopefully, it will be worth the wait and the expense.

Overall, great great thriller.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 1, 2010
"The Bishop" is by far one of the best books I've ever read. As hard as it may be to believe it Steven James has actually written a better book then the first three in the series. What a fantastic book. An extreme page-turner from the first page to the finality. Steven James didn't waste one word in the entire book. Every word had meaning and purpose. No waste on lengthy descriptions or filler material to bring a sense of calm to a stressful story. The storyline is extremely deep and complex causing the reader to pay close attention to everything that's going on. One could easily fly through the 520 pages but if you do it you may just miss the enjoyment of trying to figure out the identity of the killers. Patrick Bowers has quickly become one of my favorite fictional characters. You'll feel like you really know him and his daughter Tessa. The story is multifaceted, extremely well-written and will keep you from your needed sleep.

Biblically the book is about the same as the first three in the series. There are no Christians to give the reader a Biblical worldview but there are some discussions on morality and it's origins that bring creation in the picture. Abortion is also mentioned, leaving the answer up to the reader. Followers of Christ will probably consider this to fall under the category of "Christian Fiction" but unbelievers will not find offense to it. Even though "The Bishop" is not for the timid Mr. James skilfully keeps out the foul language and sex scenes that are so pervasive in the secular book market.

If you haven't read the first three book in the series I highly suggest reading them first but Steven does a very good job recapping the previous stories so you really don't have to read the other books.

The Pawn
The Rook
The Knight

I recently listened to an interview on Fiction Addict and Steven James said they signed a contract do make the Patrick Bowers series into a TV show (or at least a pilot). Please don't wait for the show. Read the books. Hollywood will only ruin the story and characters just like they do almost everything else.

1 Star = Pathetic
2 Stars = Fair
3 Stars = Good
4 Stars = Excellent
5 Stars = Life changing
on May 18, 2017
Perfect except for some of the violence is a little too much for me. But that won't stop me from reading the Patrick Bowers novels. I love his mind set & sense of humor
on June 26, 2017
I'm addicted to this series.
on September 22, 2014
This series just keeps getting better! As other reviewers have pointed out... simply AMAZING. I can really feel how the main character, Patrick Bowers, struggles and "attempts" to balance his case priorities, love-life (or lack there of...), and his relationship with his step-daughter Tessa. His portrayal of Tessa, and growth, has also been fun. She is brilliant in her own twisted way but still showing the sensitivities of a seventeen year old. Even before finishing "Bishop" I downloaded "Queen" eBook from the library. Yet another fun ride!