Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on August 25, 2009
I have had the pleasure of knowing James Motlow for the last 6 years as a gentle, kind, humble person who only recently mentioned in conversation with me (a person who does photography and photo restorations) that he had helped write and did the photography for a book called, Bitter Melon. What an incredible undertaking this project of love was, and what a rich history has been preserved because of it. It speaks of the strong will, tenacity, and pride of a people who were ill treated by our Government, yet they graciously share with these white Americans who had gained their trust their personal stories of life in Locke, California in the Sacramento Delta. Jeff Gillenkirk and James Motlow present an historical gift to us that should be required reading in Middle Schools or High Schools. It is a book worth its weight in gold.
on October 25, 2015
I enjoyed reading the stories of the individuals growing up in Locke. My grandfather and dad grew up on the river. I remember visiting the pear orchards where my dad's parents stayed during the picking season. I'll have to make it a point to stop and visit in the near future. Haven't seen the town in over 40 years!
on May 28, 2013
I live not far from Locke, a tiny town in the Sacramento Delta, with a Chinese population dating back to the early days of Chinese immigration. I've bought and given this book to guests from Europe and to several friends. I take many visitors, adult and kids, to Locke, which is a pleasant riverside drive from Sacramento where I live. It's important to learn of the history and hardships of immigrants.
on February 1, 2017
Excellent book about Chinese American history! It is worth reading.
on January 5, 2017
Great book about the history of Locke California
on April 29, 2016
Awesome book!
on June 23, 2015
Excellent book but too expensive.