Customer Reviews: Black Beast: A Hard Boiled Murder Mystery (A Detective Bobby Mac Thriller Book 1)
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

on September 14, 2011
R.S. Guthrie is a marvelous story teller ~ and c'mon who doesn't love a great "good vs. evil" story. I originally bought this book for a charity he represents <...> BENEFIT FOR BEN. I wasn't expecting to fall in love with the book. The development of his characters is awesome. You feel you've known "Bobby Mac" your whole life. It's a page turner and I look forward to the next in the series!

Kathleen Hagburg
co-author of Getting Into The Zone
on June 6, 2012
Just finished Black Beast and to say the least I was very pleasantly surprised. I did not expect the level of writing that was in this book. Am definitely going to read the next one. The characters were brought to life so colorfully that you almost could feel them thinking. Even though a work of fiction, the fight between good and evil is a very real thought for most people. Keep up the excellent work.
on March 26, 2012
I love me some Bobby Mac! Black Beast is a fast moving, well-plotted novel, complete with the most wonderful dialogue and characters that draw you in. I was sorry when it ended, and I can't wait to read his sequel, LOST. Guthrie has the gift!
on March 24, 2012
The was a great book! Starts as a normal detective story, and then you get the extra treat of it changing to something scary, make you want to go to mass scary. A+
on October 22, 2011
Reading a book that is written from the law enforcement perspective always makes me wonder how much knowledge the writer might have on the subject. Being as Mr. Guthrie is not a police officer, and never has been I was AMAZED at his realistic explanations an the words that he used.

From the first chapter I found myself hooked. His writing style was graceful and elaborate without being overdone. His conversations were direct and specific, showing the reader what was going on without over doing anything. I found humor in the short conversations pieces at times when Mac spoke with other police officers of males in general. I could imagine these conversations taking place just as they were written.

Being that I am a certified CSI, I was astounded at his ability to explain exactly what the crime scene was like and what the investigators were doing. It was as if he had attended this training and knew the right from the wrong - which honestly some of the people I work with don't even understand.

There was one part in the book that took my heart and tore it. Brought forth emotions that were strong to my heart and soul. He wrote of attending a police memorial, and the description struck me so perfectly from the way he described the officers walking in line to the sound of the bag pipes. It caused chills and brought tears to my eyes.

I very much enjoyed the story and I look forward to seeing what happens next in Mac's life! Great job Mr. Guthrie.
on January 10, 2012
Title: Black Beast
Author: RS Guthrie
Publisher: Blu Pencil Publishing, LLC
Format: Kindle Edition
Interest: Supernatural/Thriller/Series
Rating 0-100: 95 (5 Stars)

I originally purchased this book during the holidays in response to a Kindle giveaway promotion by the author. Since then, I've been a fan of his blog site. RS 'Rob' Guthrie has some great information posted there, for aspiring authors such as myself.

Even so, I wasn't sure whether I would like this book, after reading the sample on Amazon. I figured what the heck, it was a opportunity to win a Kindle for my wife and help support the author and his charity. I'm glad I took a chance on it. The sample that Amazon gives really does not do justice to this book. This one is on my recommended reading list, and I give it a grade of 95, solid "A".

My goal is to read at least 30 books this year. If the other books are as addicting as this, then I might have a chance to double that number. By the third or fourth chapter, I was hooked. I can't tell you how tempting it was to take my Kindle to work with me today. As it turned out, I found myself reading it on the iPhone with the Kindle app during lunch. In fact, the last five chapters went by with thumb blazing speed.

Bobby Mac is not the typical hero, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series. I purchased 'Lost' a few minutes ago, and if it's as good as 'Black Beast', then I'm in for a long night.

If I had one suggestion to make, it would be that Guthrie post a few chapters of 'Black Beast' on his website, or if possible, extend the sample on Amazon.

on March 24, 2012
Bobby Mac is the kind of guy we like. His humanity is so raw at times, I found myself flinching as I read. He calls it like it is without malice or undue sarcasm. Rather, he's hit more than his fair share of life's road bumps and these things have become matter-of-fact while he engages us in the bigger picture at hand. Just about the time his personal burdens weighed so heavy that I felt I couldn't make it to the next page, a new twist on the mystery lifted me out of the mental funk and into the fast-paced action at hand. As the reader, I found this style of writing unique and very effective.

Overall, I found the writing and storyline fluid, parsed with dry humor that made me laugh out loud, and with a strong element of realism, especially since I know a few facts on real world exorcisms.

I don't usually like things that go bump in the night, scary stories, the boogey man, etc., however, I'm intrigued to keep reading Clan of MacAulay novels and like Bobby Mac well enough to feel safe with him on his next adventures -- that is with my eyes peeking between the fingers of my covered hand!

Kudos to Mr. Guthrie for a great work of fiction with this series.
on December 28, 2014
Good, solid characters, especially Bobby Mac. Interesting how he found renewed faith after facing evil. A fast read with a good story line. Supernatural lovers will enjoy it.
on November 28, 2014
Well written lots of fun good characters I really enjoyed it sometimes I got little lost but I managed to dig my way out I look forward to reading many more by this guy
on April 25, 2013
I would have given it 4 stars if I believed in demon possesion or ghosts. But it is a very good story. Bobby Mac is a refreshing character. Not your typical detective.