Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 20, 2013
I use 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water and that is the max it will cook . I think it is misleading to call it a 14 cup rice cooker, I have no idea why they call it a 14 cup cooker. If you cook even one grain of rice more it bubbles over and makes a mess to clean up.
99 helpful votes
100 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on February 26, 2013
When i purchased this rice cooker I gave it good ratings, however, just after 4 months, it has stopped working. the lights don't turn on and it dosen't heat. tried calling customer care but no one picks up calls. I cant return it also, as it is 4 months old. the warranty is a sham. avoid this and go for a better brand even if it costs you more.
32 helpful votes
33 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on April 26, 2015
It arrived perfect. We did not have to use this for 2 weeks. It stopped working after 1st minute it started. Then I noticed the name of the brand "Black & Decker" which is not according to the real one, as I used this before. It seems that the seller sent me a FAKE rice cooker but took more price then it should be. If anyone buy this, then please check this after it arrives. I would like to return this item. But who will going to pay for the harassment. I have attached the picture of the trademark. Please be sure before buying this item..
review image
33 helpful votes
34 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on July 30, 2016
I have had this rice cooker for three years now but used it to steam using the steamer insert for the first time today. I originally purchased this cooker to use with a PID controller for sous vide, which works perfectly. I have used it for rice and thought it was okay but my Zojirushi is better. Today I used it to steam frozen tomales...perfect! I didn't have to thaw them. I put water in the bowl, left the tomales in the husk and clicked "Cook". In about 35 minutes the tomales were ready.
on June 7, 2014
This rice cooker was just the right size and price for me. It has a simple two-position cook/keep warm front panel switch, an inner light aluminum pot, a glass cover, a steam basket, and a 1-cup measuring cup. It's great for cooking plain white rice, and getting it just right and fluffy.

This is not suitable for cooking packaged rice mixes such as Knorr's rice sides, which are best cooked in a regular pot, following the packet directions. Also, I found that brown rice, which takes more water to cook, does not do well in this rice cooker (water boiled over!). However, regular white rice which requires a 2:1 by volume mix of water to rice does very well.

Remember, you turn off the cooker by unplugging it. After the rice is cooked it automatically switched to the "warmer" setting, but does not switch itself off. Empty the inner bowl soon after it goes to warm, or it continues to cook and absorb water, and may become dry and sticky.
on June 27, 2014
I decided to give this very inexpensive rice cooker a shot. One thing that I noticed was that there was this snapping sound while the rice was being cooked. It sounded like the metal was expanding. I never had this happen before, but it didn't seem to affect performance.

We babied this rice cooker, making sure no utensils touched the non-stick coating other than the provided plastic spoon. After using the rice cooker for about 6 months (using it approximately once a week), we're starting to see chips in the non-stick coating.

The rice cooker cooked rice well. We never had any issues with burning the rice on the bottom. However, it's hard to give a higher star rating because I believe the non-stick coating should have lasted much longer than 6 months. That was quite disappointing.
on July 7, 2015
I purchased this rice cooker and used it twice before it stopped working completely. Will no longer turn on. It never moved off of its spot on the counter and was unplugged when not in use. To it's credit, it worked pretty well for a $20 rice cooker when it was functional. Unfortunately without the box I am unable to return this. Spend some extra money and save yourself the hassle of getting stuck with a broken rice cooker.
on November 16, 2015
I was very happy to receive this product and try cooking my first batch of rice. The directions did not give enough information about ratio of water to rice.So, the two times I tried, the rice was not completely cooked or cooked to much.

I was going to return the above product, but I read a review below that suggested 2-1 ratio. I will try that today. Then, if my Japanese rice is not cooked correctly, I will contact the seller and Black and Decker, return it and buy a different brand, like Cuisinart.
0Comment|Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 20, 2015
I have a 3 cup cooker, but needed a larger one. As many mentioned, these rice cookers work well for their price with 2 issues: 1) they always make less rice than they claim. My 3 cup cooker can make max 1.5 cups. I have not tried the max for this one, but it won't be more than 4 cups. 2) rice can get stuck to the bottom if you leave it on warm. I always manually turn it off even before it switches to warm and unplug it. If you do that, you will get nice quality rice.
11 comment|Report abuse
on February 1, 2016
Wish the plug disconnected but good size for my apartment kitchen and cabinets. Love the grey pot! Won't show discoloration when cooking healthy black rice (purple stains on cookware). Don't have the overcook issue that others did. Could be from cooking less than 2 cups of rice. Hope it lasts.