Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 26, 2017
This drill is a great value for someone who uses it twice a month or less.
I found this locally for about $20. It has great features for the price: cordless, 2-speed (325/650rpm), reversing (to drive screws) and a keyless chuck. The quality is quite good, considering the price. It's well balanced, and seems to have a good amount of power. It's stated capacity is a 1/2" in wood, and 3/8" in steel. The battery pack is built inside. It uses 4/5 sub-C ni-cd cells. The shelf life of rechargeables is about
3 months, so you will need to charge it occassionally.
on December 28, 2012
I thought it was very odd this has no drill bits so do not expect any when you receive it. I am a woman and only do simple home tasks so I just needed something small but sturdy and this fits the bill perfectly. Luckily, I still had the drill bits and screwdriver bits from my previous B&D drill and they worked just fine. If you are a contractor or work on heavy duty projects this would not be the drill for you. It is not powerful enough and if you are a constant user it would probably break fairly quickly.

Just updating my review. When I purchased this drill I just did so on the off chance I needed to drill a hole to hang up shelves through drywall or something like that. However, I am now using it a lot to make concrete paver molds that require me to drill holes through 2x2 plus the particle board and it gets really slow by the time it hits the particle board and then after about 10 holes it just won't go anymore and I have to wait for a while for it to recharge. This is very annoying. I am using a 3/8" drill bit. Now I can honestly back up my opinion I wrote before that if you really don't ever use a drill for anything but maybe drilling once in a great while and only light things then you should purchase this drill because it is a good deal for that. But if you plan on doing anything heavier, and I don't consider what I'm doing heavy, you should go for a more powerful drill.
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2012
My old Black & Decker drill used VersaPac batteries, and those batteries finally gave out. It was a great little drill for me, but when I looked at the pricing on VersaPac batteries today, I realized it would cost more to replace them than it would to buy a new drill.

I ended up purchasing the Black & Decker 9099KC 7.2-Volt Cordless Drill with Keyless Chuck. I don't have any big projects to worry about, I just need a cordless drill for simple household projects like hanging curtain rods, etc. This drill does the trick quite nicely.

I moved to a house in October 2011, and I bought the drill before I moved. It came in very handy when taking down my old curtain rods and things at the old place and it has done a very good job of installing new rods at my new place.

When my Stepfather came to visit, he used my drill to hang a couple of medicine chests in my bathrooms, and was actually impressed with it. He didn't expect his daughter to have a drill at all, and was pleasantly surprised to find I have a decent one.

This drill doesn't have a removable battery like my old one did, which worried me a bit. My concern was that when the drill runs out of battery power, I won't be able to continue to work until it has recharged. So far, however, it has not run out of a charge while I was working with it.

The package includes just the drill itself and a power cable to charge it with. There are no drill bits, no screwdriver tips, nothing. Of course, these are easy to buy just about anywhere and aren't expensive, so this shouldn't be a concern as long as you know you'll need to get those separately. I already had plenty of both in my toolbox that I used with the old drill.

My old drill used a key to tighten the chuck and I have to say I really like that this one does not. No more worry about misplacing the key for the chuck. It just tightens and loosens by hand easily.

I'm very pleased with this drill and have been very happy with the Black & Decker brand whenever I need tools.
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on September 29, 2012
We bought this drill to do some light projects around our new home. Unfortunately after just two months the battery is no longer holding a charge. We've tried different outlets that we know are working all to no avail. Save your money and get something else!
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on November 12, 2013
Give it to a child to drill some soft wood, he'll be happy. It works, it can drill, it's cheap. That's why I bought it - because it's cheap.

After drilling a few 1/4" holes in 1/4" aluminum it ran out of juice, and I had to put it on charger UNTIL TOMORROW. It takes 16 hours to charge. Can't slide in a fresh battery - the battery is built-in, no spare batteries.

It's a disposable item - which I don't mind given 20 bucks that it cost me. What I do mind is that I can't finish anything, because after a few holes have to stop UNTIL TOMORROW. If you only drill soft wood and drywall, one or two holes in an hour, than maybe you'll be able to finish what you planned for the day.

So, despite the fact that it works - drills - I give it only 2 stars.

-------------------------
Update February 2014 - upgraded to 3 stars.

You can't slide a new battery in. But you can buy a spare drill for 20 bucks, keep it charged and swap them when the 1st one runs out of juice. Spare batteries of cordless drills - those where you can slide a spare battery - are VERY expensive, 40 bucks and more!
So I upgraded the rating to 3 stars - because you can swap them only once, and then it takes 16 hours to charge. And it is not very powerful.
on March 31, 2013
I ordered this drill in late February, along with matching Black & Decker 15557 10-Piece Drill Bit Set and Black & Decker 71-081 Double Ended Screwdriving Bit Set, 10-Piece. I was hoping to set up a few things around my new apartment. After plugging it in overnight for the initial charge-up, I used it to drill three small holes and screw in three screws—all of which went smooth, an easy, soft job. A few weeks later, I used it again for an even lighter job. Now, even though I've charged and re-charged and re-charged it, the drill no longer runs when the trigger is fully depressed. I can get it to run if I squeeze the trigger only about halfway, but that means I'm sacrificing half the power of this already not very powerful drill. The worst part: I see here on Amazon that the return window expired a week ago. Great. :-( Now I'm stuck.
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on September 6, 2015
I've used this drill for 3 years now. After viewing the positive reviews on Amazon and comparing the price to other cordless drills, I purchased it.

I've used the drill for about 3 years now in both professional and personal situations. I've been impressed by its longevity and quality. I'm still using the original battery with it as it, too, is also high quality. However, the only downside would probably be the spin power. The spin power is relatively low compared to other types.

This is a great starter drill for kids and adults alike and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Overall, a quality drill for the price that is very reliable and sturdy. I would absolutely recommend this to a friend.
on June 29, 2013
I am ashamed of Black and Decker on a poorly made product. I have owned several of their tools over the years and have never had any issues. Good quality tools. This 7.2 volt cordless drill with keyless chuck missed the mark by a mile. You can not keep a drill bit tight in the chuck. You just can not hold the drill to tighten the chuck. First time you use it to drill a hole and the drill starts to have some resistance the drill bit stops and the chuck loosens up. I am just disappointed with this tool. The reason I purchased it was to keep in the house for little products without bringing out my big cordless drill. Another thing is the drill used a NI-Cad battery so it takes a long time to charge. There is no indication when the battery is charged.
on November 20, 2012
I bought this to be used as a cordless screwdriver and was pleasantly surprised. Note that no bits are included, you'll need to purchase your own screwdriver or drill bits. Takes 16 hours to charge completely, but it's got a fantastic lifespan. I assembled a dresser which must have involved nearly 100 screws and it didn't slow down one bit. Yes, it's a NiCad battery, which can have all sorts of strange "memory" problems and drainage issues if it's used frequently or charged improperly, but hey this is around $20, what do you expect? It's a great cordless screwdriver to keep around the house for the occasional furniture assembly.

I wished it had a higher torque setting for screws. I had to tighten a few screws by hand to make sure they were in all the way- at some point this can jump out of the screw if it encounters too much resistance. I can also see how this might be inadequate for drilling through much more than drywall, it just doesn't have quite the power. But hey, it's $20.

Pros:
Good battery life
Cheap
Good enough for most tasks
Nice weight, feel in the hands and size.

Cons:
No bits included
No charger light (you have to guess when it's fully charged)
NiCad battery isn't the best
Torque/total power could be better
on September 17, 2012
I do my own relatively light household tasks, and recently put up 3 8-ft serious-but-decorative shelves for books. My previous cordless drills had died, so I ordered this one. The price was great, and it had more power than more expensive drills I saw at a local home repair store. It was perfect for the job. LOVE the keyless chuck -- it takes very little effort to do the extra "twist" to secure the bit. It is so simple to use -- even someone who doesn't like household repair/ improvement jobs will warm up to this one.

It holds a good charge, at least so far. I finished the shelves some weeks ago, and that job required a fair amount of serious drilling into studs (12 holes) and compressed board shelving (12 holes). I just got it out to drill holes for drywall sinkers, and the power was as good as ever. (Apologies if this comment displays a lack of familiarity with how long a drill charge SHOULD last; I was glad only that I didn't have to recharge it before using it again -- my other drills had to be recharged if you left alone for more than a day or two.)

The only drawback was that it came w/out a 2-way screwdriver tool that my other drills came with, clicked into its own little groove on the handle. Fortunately I had saved one when I threw out the other drills. That is the only reason I gave it a 4-star; I really wanted to give it a 5.