Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Black & Decker MX85 Power Pro Hand Mixer
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports

on December 22, 2002
The first thing I looked at when I opened the package was how flimsy the beaters looked, I was afraid they would break if I used it for mixing a thicker batter, but then I plugged it in and turned it on. I was amazed at how much power this mixer had! I had considered buying the 300watt mixer because I tend to make thick batters and I was weary that this couldn't handle it, but I was so wrong. It worked great on everything I've thrown at it so far, from coffee cake batter to oatmeal cookies I've had no problems. However I would advise caution on using it for very light dry mixtures such as strudel topping, it has too much power and things go flying. The spatula attachment is great, it scrapes the sides of the bowl so everything gets easily blended. I would highly recommend this mixer as a powerful alternative to some of the pricier brands.
on December 19, 2005
This mixer is ridiculous! First of all, it's stupidly powerful. The lowest setting is the same as the highest setting on my old mixer, so you can forget "folding" anything with this mixer - it's beat the sh*t out of or nothing! To top it off, it has the extra "power boost" button - give me a break, like you're mixing a cake and SUDDENLY you need all the power you can get? It's a hand mixer, not a space ship! - and when you press the button the mixer practically yanks itself out of your hand! The motor could probably propel a car for 2 seconds as long as the gears weren't plastic (which I'm sure the gears in the mixer are).

The wire beaters are flimsy, and somehow between the mixer, the washer and the drawer, one got bent which made them wobble to the point where the mixer was unusable (luckily my husband was able to bend it back and the thing works again).

And to top everything off, the thing is pointlessly right-handed. I'm left-handed and have never had a problem with anything except for this mixer! The cord comes out of the right side so that if you're right-handed it is behind the mixer and out of the way. But if you're LEFT-handed, it is in the front of the mixer and hangs over the bowl. B&D COULD have put the cord coming straight out from the back so that it could go either way, I have no idea why they would go so far out of their way to make something so obnoxious for left-handed people.

Surprisingly, I've made about 6 things with this mixer and the thing still runs... I'm not planning on having it for 40 years or anything (like my MIL's olive green hand mixer from the 60s which is dying, but still works better than the B&D mixer) but hey - the thing mixes. But it's still a gimmicky, poorly designed, cheaply made, disposable item that I would never buy (I got mine as a gift).
on January 20, 2003
Compact and lightweight, this little mixer is a must for everybody's kitchen. It stores easily, and the blades pop out for quick and easy cleaning. The body of the mixer wipes down well, too, which is important when you're blending something that spatters everywhere. There is an actual different between the various speeds you can select, and although you might have to push down a little to incorporate, say, butter, into a recipe, overall the little mixer does its job well... and it lasts a long time. A great and inexpensive gift for your favorite cook!
on February 12, 2005
This mixer has really good power, and the idea with the spatula and extra beater attachments were great and leared me into purchasing it although... this mixer died on me only after 2 uses. I would highly recommend not wasting your money on this. Spend an extra five bucks and get a mixer that will last you through baking a cake. Boo- hoo black and decker!!
on June 30, 2005
I bought this Black & Decker mixer to replace a 5-year-old B&D mixer that finally died. Well, much to MY surprise, this little $15 mixer did the same! After only one batter of cookie dough, and one batter of quick banana bread, it clicked and burned out. It didn't even strain, just poof! It burned out. Save your money: get a KitchenAid or any other brand for that matter. Just don't waste it on any of Black & Decker's plastic, poor-quality mixers.
on September 17, 2005
Died during the 2nd use. I got on line, checked the reviews and saw 2 reviews out of 5 noted it died either during or after the 2nd use. Make mine the 3rd.
I did not purchase this mixer from Amazon but I am currently looking for a replacement and I am very concerned with what I am reading in regards to the new mixers that are on the market. I had this mixer 11 years and it is still working. Why do I need a new mixer? One of the beater blades just separated from the beater...I love to bake. I used this mixer to make cakes, pound cake (which is heavy in consistancy), pies and cookies. I was searching to see what the cost of the beaters would be but I am not finding the information online as of yet. Perhaps I will call their hotline just to see what they would charge...but I am thinking I probably should just buy a new mixer ughhhh.

Also why would anyone want a "weak" mixer? You need the power to get the job done in regards to mixing ingredients. If you want a weak mixer then go after the cheaper brands like Procter Silex (sp) where the chrome started to peel off the mixer blades and almost ended up in my cake...that was ll years ago where this mixer replaced that one.
on December 25, 2004
The beaters are wire so they aren't good for things that require a little extra -works fine for light-duty use. Making Divinity killed it dead.
on December 14, 2005
Don't waste your money on this mixer! I used it once to mix a batch of cookie dough and low and behold, it never worked again. I exchanged the mixer for an identical mixer which did the exact same thing. 'seems as though Black&Decker should stick to making their specialty ...TOOLS!
on December 12, 2010
I don't know what motor they used for this thing but it's ridiculously powerful and unbelievably loud. I'm deaf in one ear and use ear protection when I COOK because I can tell the motor is damaging my good ear. I have had it for one Christmas cooking season but decided I'm going shopping. There is no reason to feel abused by a kitchen appliance. I wouldn't recommend this for any use, except maybe cement mixing. Be sure, though, to wear ear plugs.