Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,804 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,988 reviews
on November 9, 2011
Things I have made in this rice cooker:
- Oatmeal
- Scrambled Eggs
- Meatballs
- Ham, and of course
- Tilapia

I also routinely put random things with the rice (tofu, frozen veggies, frozen chicken). Is it restaurant quality? Probably not, but this baby has been going strong for a year. Here are the steps I followed to cook all of the above:
1. Put stuff in pot.
2. Press Button.

That is all. You/your kid going away to college? Must buy. The versatility is unbelievable.

Update:

- Bacon (not recommended. ugh)
- Chicken nuggets
- Hot Dog Bits
- Pasta
- Ramen (how could I forget you, ramen?!)

Edit: After several years I am saddened to announce the expiration of Rice Cooker (RC) 1.0. I have just replaced it with a younger and more clean-shaven version of itself, RC2.0, who has been inducted after producing rice and meatballs in spaghetti sauce with mozzarella cheese. A fantastic little dish for very little money produced by following the same directions as above, only wait until the selector switch moves to "KEEP WARM" before inserting the sauce and cheese and stirring a bit. Delicious.
66 comments| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2015
the metal coil thing inside the cooker is just sticking out and I first I thought that was normal but when I put the bowl inside it wouldn't stay down and just wobbles..... How are they going to send me a broken one? The package also looked like it was re-packaged so maybe they tried to refurbish it and failed..
review image review image
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2012
I have used this product on a daily basis for the past 8 months, for cooking white rice. Usually, I cook Basmati rice, because it has the fragrance of nuts (or whatever), but I have also used it for other types of white rice, as well as for 100% wild rice. It is always the case that I use hot tap water for putting in the rice cooker. (I never start with cold tap water.) Sometimes, I drop a half dozen almonds into the rice cooker when I am beginning to cook the rice. Often, after the rice is cooked, I press a chunk of cheddar cheese into the cooked rice, and let it sit for a few minutes to melt. Sometimes, after the rice is cooked, I add a little Vietnamese hot sauce, or some balsamic vinegar, or both. Once, I cooked the rice together with an eighth pound of fresh mushrooms. Another time, I cooked the rice together with an entire bell pepper, previously sliced. Often, I add an entire fresh carrot (diced) to the rice when I initiate cooking. Although I never bothered to time the cooking, it seems to me that the rice was always fully cooked in under 15 minutes.

The glass lid of the cooker contains a small porthole. Steam comes out of the porthole, and sometimes a tiny bit of bubbling liquid comes out too. The goal of the porthole is to prevent the steam from tossing the lid off the the cooker. Therefore, I am glad for the existance of the porthole. But once I was careless, and I put my hand near the porthole where the steam was rushing out, and my hand got an owee.

After about 6 months, I noticed that the cardboard box containing the rice cooker also had a plastic spoon. The plastic spoon is suitable for stirring the rice, or for mixing the rice with spices. The plastic spoon is also suitable for eating the cooked rice. Unfortunately, I had been using a metal spoon for these 6 months, and a small percentage of the Teflon has been worn away -- perhaps about 2%. Anyway, I now use the plastic spoon all the time.

The rice cooker has a control with two settings, one for warming and the other for cooking. When using this cooker, you have to remember to make sure that the setting is on the COOK setting, and not on the WARMER setting. The cooking bowl is made of metal, and it is easily removable from the heating unit. The cooking bowl just sits into the the heating compartment (it is not firmly attached). It is always the case that, as soon as the rice is cooked, I lift out the cooking bowl, and place the cooking bowl into a little tub of cool water. Then, about five minutes later, it has cooled down enought to have for supper. It should also be noted that this rice cooker automatically switches from COOK to WARMER when the water is running out. In other words, this is a "smart" cooker that prevents burning of the rice, should the level of moisture get below a certain level. Apparently, this automatic feature is the result of a thermostat that is built into the cooker.

FIRST SUPPLEMENT TO MY REVIEW. After twelve months of almost daily use, my rice cooker conked out. And so, I discarded it, and bought a new one (the same model). Please note that every time I use the rice cooker to make supper, I save at least three or four dollars, since a meal consisting mainly of foods other than rice, or a meal from a take-out restaurant, would cost much more than a half-cup of rice! I also use this rice cooker for instant mashed potatoes. For instant mashed potatoes, I keep the hot water in the cooker until the water boils, and then I pour in the potato flakes, and stir it. Then I unplug the cooker right away, and stir a little bit more. After one minute of stirring, the mashed potatoes are ready to eat! For flavoring, I add a few tablespoons of ketchup. Sometimes, I add some cheese to the instant mashed potatoes. I always dine alone, and so I never have to worry about comments like, "Why do you always eat like a pauper?"

SECOND SUPPLEMENT TO MY REVIEW. It is now January 2014, and I have been using my second Black and Decker 3-cup rice cooker for 18 months. It is still going strong! I still use it every day for cooking supper or for bringing rice to lunch at work. The Teflon surface on the inside of the cooker is a little worn, perhaps two or three percent is scraped off. I have not been using any metal spoon or any harsh metal scrubbing pad. But still, a bit of the Teflon has scraped off. But this does NOT impair the device's ability to cook, and I do NOT clumps of rice caked to the bottom. I am still using Basmati rice. Sometimes, I mix a can of black beans with the cooked rice. Sometimes I add Cholula hot sauce. Sometimes I add a small block of sharp cheddar cheese. Often, I dice up an entire small onion, and add it at a time point when the rice is half-way cooked. I still give this product FIVE STARS.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2012
In the beginning this little rice cooker worked very well and was exactly what I had been looking for. For just two people it was the ideal size. I followed the instructions provided by B&D, made sure that the insert is not whet on the bottom and sits level in the unit etc. but after about 10 uses it stopped working with no warning half way through cooking. The light went out and that was the end of it. B&D has a good name but this little cooker in poor quality. Waste of money, I will be looking for a rice cooker from a different maker.
on January 29, 2010
I take this little rice cooker every where I fly, I've been a flight attendant for Delta for years and not every layover is "let's see where we can eat out tonight?" I enjoy bringing my own food and like to have it while I relax in my hotel room. I use this rice cooker to heat up my food/soup/oat meal/whatever, or making myself a bowl of hot noodle. It cooks rice perfectly and it will keep it warm overnight. It will work anywhere if there is a 110 volts, that means I bring my own transformer when I travel overseas. It's easy to clean and as long as I don't drop it on the floor, it keeps on cooking. You can say that my little rice cooker has many miles on it.......
66 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2016
Ever since I purchased this item, I've been using it almost every single day! It is extremely convenient and is a snap to use. I live in a small apartment and this is the perfect size for one person. I always cook 1 cup of uncooked rice and it is a hearty serving for one person. It is very easy to measure all your ingredients because the non-stick bowl has marked lines on the inside (1 cup, 2 cup, and 3 cup) to show you how much water to add. Clean-up is a breeze because of the non-stick bowl.

My favorite rice to make is jasmine rice with lots of lime juice, a little lemon juice, and cilantro. I add the rice to the non-stick bowl (1 cup uncooked). Then I add enough lime juice so that all of the rice is wet and soaking in it. Then I add just a little bit of lemon juice (1-2 tsp.). Then add a bit of butter and some salt. After rice is cooked, mix in 2 tsp. of cilantro and stir well. It's delicious and it's the only rice I ever make.

The only problem with this unit is that you have to check the rice occasionally during the cooking phase, otherwise the bottom of the rice will brown. It's not a catastrophe and is easily remedied. First off, let me just say that if the rice browns a bit, it only looks unpleasant. It still tastes just as good. To avoid this, you need to wait until the rice has absorbed almost all the water. Take off the lid and stir the rice thoroughly. Once the rice has absorbed most of the water, just switch the mode to "keep warm" manually (instead of waiting for it to click). Then occasionally stir the rice while you wait around 5-10 minutes (give or take). Once the rice has absorbed all the water, you can leave it on "keep warm". I like to switch the mode back to "cook" for around 3-4 minutes so that the rice gets nice and hot. The trick is to take it out before it browns the bottom. This sounds complicated, but it really is not. Just check it occasionally, stir it a few times, then switch it to "keep warm" just before all the water is absorbed (95% or so should be absorbed). This is the only flaw with this unit (hence only 4 stars). Otherwise, I think it is fantastic and it is my new favorite kitchen appliance!
on March 14, 2016
Purchased this cute little rice cooker almost one year ago, and it's still going strong (use it almost daily). Anyway, I mainly purchased this for my daughter who is a big rice eater just like her dad (my spouse is Filipino). If you are Filipino (or Asian for that matter), you know damn well what I'm talking about here! Anyway, I make about one cup of rice just for her, because my husband already hogs our main rice cooker for himself (yes, this is one of those households that needs TWO rice cookers). I have cooked both white rice and brown rice with this rice cooker. Great purchase!
on June 25, 2016
Cooks rice perfectly. Bought this for my son who's just moved on his own Apt in MN. I taught him how to cook so he does know how and is comfortable in the kitchen. However he uses same pot for his rice for everything else so I thought to buy him this one. It's the perfect size for him. It came with a measuring cup as well so that removes the guessing (or finger style water measuring) work with the water. He dips his fingers in the water in the pot to measure how much water is appropriate-a traditional method my family uses. And rice is a staple in my family.

Rice came out perfectly. Couldn't be more content and delighted with this rice cooker. It's so cute.
review image review image review image
on July 6, 2013
One box of either rice a roni (the San Francisco treat) or Zatarans rice dishes, one cup of water, and you have hassle free rice...pour it all together, turn it on and about 20 minutes you have rice without watching, stirring or boil overs...one cup of white rice, one cup of water, and 20 minutes later, about 3 cups of cooked rice, with NO problems. I have a 12 cup rice cooker, but for dinner for two, it doesn't really do well on those small portions, this is perfect rice EVERY time!!

TOTALLY LOVE IT!

UPDATE...Some reviewers said that the cooking bowl won't "stay in" the unit no matter how they twisted it. On this size cooker, it does seem the bowl is not IN right at all. A brief explanation on how many rice cookers operate should be included with the instructions...the bowl sits on a spring down inside the unit, when the bowl is filled with rice and water, this weight compresses the spring and the unit is in cook mode, when the water is boiled off, the weight is reduced, and the spring lifts the bowl and triggers the WARM cycle. This is easy to test by plugging your unit in, hold the bowl down, press the control to COOK, then release the bowl, the unit automatically kicks into WARM...on these smaller units it seems as though the bowl isn't staying "in" the unit very well but, it is doing what it is supposed to do. This isn't as noticeable on the larger 10 cup units for example, but most of them operate the same way.
on April 30, 2015
My first rice cooker worked great for years. I decided to get a second one (same brand) last month because the lining on the pan was starting to come off.

The one I bought on March 17th died on April 28th. The light wouldn't come on and it wouldn't cook at all. This was after a month of using it once a week.

By the time it died it was a few days after the 30 day return window. Thankfully Amazon took mercy on me and gave me a replacement despite it being a few days past the window. Hopefully the new rice cooker will work longer.

If this one dies within a month then I'm going to switch brands.