Spring Deals Automotive HPC Children of Blood and Bone Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on November 9, 2011
Things I have made in this rice cooker:
- Oatmeal
- Scrambled Eggs
- Meatballs
- Ham, and of course
- Tilapia

I also routinely put random things with the rice (tofu, frozen veggies, frozen chicken). Is it restaurant quality? Probably not, but this baby has been going strong for a year. Here are the steps I followed to cook all of the above:
1. Put stuff in pot.
2. Press Button.

That is all. You/your kid going away to college? Must buy. The versatility is unbelievable.

- Bacon (not recommended. ugh)
- Chicken nuggets
- Hot Dog Bits
- Pasta
- Ramen (how could I forget you, ramen?!)

Edit: After several years I am saddened to announce the expiration of Rice Cooker (RC) 1.0. I have just replaced it with a younger and more clean-shaven version of itself, RC2.0, who has been inducted after producing rice and meatballs in spaghetti sauce with mozzarella cheese. A fantastic little dish for very little money produced by following the same directions as above, only wait until the selector switch moves to "KEEP WARM" before inserting the sauce and cheese and stirring a bit. Delicious.
66 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 5, 2015
the metal coil thing inside the cooker is just sticking out and I first I thought that was normal but when I put the bowl inside it wouldn't stay down and just wobbles..... How are they going to send me a broken one? The package also looked like it was re-packaged so maybe they tried to refurbish it and failed..
review imagereview image
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2012
I have used this product on a daily basis for the past 8 months, for cooking white rice. Usually, I cook Basmati rice, because it has the fragrance of nuts (or whatever), but I have also used it for other types of white rice, as well as for 100% wild rice. It is always the case that I use hot tap water for putting in the rice cooker. (I never start with cold tap water.) Sometimes, I drop a half dozen almonds into the rice cooker when I am beginning to cook the rice. Often, after the rice is cooked, I press a chunk of cheddar cheese into the cooked rice, and let it sit for a few minutes to melt. Sometimes, after the rice is cooked, I add a little Vietnamese hot sauce, or some balsamic vinegar, or both. Once, I cooked the rice together with an eighth pound of fresh mushrooms. Another time, I cooked the rice together with an entire bell pepper, previously sliced. Often, I add an entire fresh carrot (diced) to the rice when I initiate cooking. Although I never bothered to time the cooking, it seems to me that the rice was always fully cooked in under 15 minutes.

The glass lid of the cooker contains a small porthole. Steam comes out of the porthole, and sometimes a tiny bit of bubbling liquid comes out too. The goal of the porthole is to prevent the steam from tossing the lid off the the cooker. Therefore, I am glad for the existance of the porthole. But once I was careless, and I put my hand near the porthole where the steam was rushing out, and my hand got an owee.

After about 6 months, I noticed that the cardboard box containing the rice cooker also had a plastic spoon. The plastic spoon is suitable for stirring the rice, or for mixing the rice with spices. The plastic spoon is also suitable for eating the cooked rice. Unfortunately, I had been using a metal spoon for these 6 months, and a small percentage of the Teflon has been worn away -- perhaps about 2%. Anyway, I now use the plastic spoon all the time.

The rice cooker has a control with two settings, one for warming and the other for cooking. When using this cooker, you have to remember to make sure that the setting is on the COOK setting, and not on the WARMER setting. The cooking bowl is made of metal, and it is easily removable from the heating unit. The cooking bowl just sits into the the heating compartment (it is not firmly attached). It is always the case that, as soon as the rice is cooked, I lift out the cooking bowl, and place the cooking bowl into a little tub of cool water. Then, about five minutes later, it has cooled down enought to have for supper. It should also be noted that this rice cooker automatically switches from COOK to WARMER when the water is running out. In other words, this is a "smart" cooker that prevents burning of the rice, should the level of moisture get below a certain level. Apparently, this automatic feature is the result of a thermostat that is built into the cooker.

FIRST SUPPLEMENT TO MY REVIEW. After twelve months of almost daily use, my rice cooker conked out. And so, I discarded it, and bought a new one (the same model). Please note that every time I use the rice cooker to make supper, I save at least three or four dollars, since a meal consisting mainly of foods other than rice, or a meal from a take-out restaurant, would cost much more than a half-cup of rice! I also use this rice cooker for instant mashed potatoes. For instant mashed potatoes, I keep the hot water in the cooker until the water boils, and then I pour in the potato flakes, and stir it. Then I unplug the cooker right away, and stir a little bit more. After one minute of stirring, the mashed potatoes are ready to eat! For flavoring, I add a few tablespoons of ketchup. Sometimes, I add some cheese to the instant mashed potatoes. I always dine alone, and so I never have to worry about comments like, "Why do you always eat like a pauper?"

SECOND SUPPLEMENT TO MY REVIEW. It is now January 2014, and I have been using my second Black and Decker 3-cup rice cooker for 18 months. It is still going strong! I still use it every day for cooking supper or for bringing rice to lunch at work. The Teflon surface on the inside of the cooker is a little worn, perhaps two or three percent is scraped off. I have not been using any metal spoon or any harsh metal scrubbing pad. But still, a bit of the Teflon has scraped off. But this does NOT impair the device's ability to cook, and I do NOT clumps of rice caked to the bottom. I am still using Basmati rice. Sometimes, I mix a can of black beans with the cooked rice. Sometimes I add Cholula hot sauce. Sometimes I add a small block of sharp cheddar cheese. Often, I dice up an entire small onion, and add it at a time point when the rice is half-way cooked. I still give this product FIVE STARS.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 6, 2013
One box of either rice a roni (the San Francisco treat) or Zatarans rice dishes, one cup of water, and you have hassle free rice...pour it all together, turn it on and about 20 minutes you have rice without watching, stirring or boil overs...one cup of white rice, one cup of water, and 20 minutes later, about 3 cups of cooked rice, with NO problems. I have a 12 cup rice cooker, but for dinner for two, it doesn't really do well on those small portions, this is perfect rice EVERY time!!

UPDATE...Some reviewers said that the cooking bowl won't "stay in" the unit no matter how they twisted it. On this size cooker, it does seem the bowl is not IN right at all. A brief explanation on how many rice cookers operate should be included with the instructions...the bowl sits on a spring down inside the unit, when the bowl is filled with rice and water, this weight compresses the spring and the unit is in cook mode, when the water is boiled off, the weight is reduced, and the spring lifts the bowl and triggers the WARM cycle. This is easy to test by plugging your unit in, hold the bowl down, press the control to COOK, then release the bowl, the unit automatically kicks into WARM...on these smaller units it seems as though the bowl isn't staying "in" the unit very well but, it is doing what it is supposed to do. This isn't as noticeable on the larger 10 cup units for example, but most of them operate the same way.
on June 24, 2016
Ever since I purchased this item, I've been using it almost every single day! It is extremely convenient and is a snap to use. I live in a small apartment and this is the perfect size for one person. I always cook 1 cup of uncooked rice and it is a hearty serving for one person. It is very easy to measure all your ingredients because the non-stick bowl has marked lines on the inside (1 cup, 2 cup, and 3 cup) to show you how much water to add. Clean-up is a breeze because of the non-stick bowl.

My favorite rice to make is jasmine rice with lots of lime juice, a little lemon juice, and cilantro. I add the rice to the non-stick bowl (1 cup uncooked). Then I add enough lime juice so that all of the rice is wet and soaking in it. Then I add just a little bit of lemon juice (1-2 tsp.). Then add a bit of butter and some salt. After rice is cooked, mix in 2 tsp. of cilantro and stir well. It's delicious and it's the only rice I ever make.

The only problem with this unit is that you have to check the rice occasionally during the cooking phase, otherwise the bottom of the rice will brown. It's not a catastrophe and is easily remedied. First off, let me just say that if the rice browns a bit, it only looks unpleasant. It still tastes just as good. To avoid this, you need to wait until the rice has absorbed almost all the water. Take off the lid and stir the rice thoroughly. Once the rice has absorbed most of the water, just switch the mode to "keep warm" manually (instead of waiting for it to click). Then occasionally stir the rice while you wait around 5-10 minutes (give or take). Once the rice has absorbed all the water, you can leave it on "keep warm". I like to switch the mode back to "cook" for around 3-4 minutes so that the rice gets nice and hot. The trick is to take it out before it browns the bottom. This sounds complicated, but it really is not. Just check it occasionally, stir it a few times, then switch it to "keep warm" just before all the water is absorbed (95% or so should be absorbed). This is the only flaw with this unit (hence only 4 stars). Otherwise, I think it is fantastic and it is my new favorite kitchen appliance!
on March 14, 2016
Purchased this cute little rice cooker almost one year ago, and it's still going strong (use it almost daily). Anyway, I mainly purchased this for my daughter who is a big rice eater just like her dad (my spouse is Filipino). If you are Filipino (or Asian for that matter), you know damn well what I'm talking about here! Anyway, I make about one cup of rice just for her, because my husband already hogs our main rice cooker for himself (yes, this is one of those households that needs TWO rice cookers). I have cooked both white rice and brown rice with this rice cooker. Great purchase!
on April 6, 2012
In the beginning this little rice cooker worked very well and was exactly what I had been looking for. For just two people it was the ideal size. I followed the instructions provided by B&D, made sure that the insert is not whet on the bottom and sits level in the unit etc. but after about 10 uses it stopped working with no warning half way through cooking. The light went out and that was the end of it. B&D has a good name but this little cooker in poor quality. Waste of money, I will be looking for a rice cooker from a different maker.
on May 22, 2016
Have been using this for five months and works perfectly everytime. I have had none of the problems noted in the negative reviews and hope that mine keeps on working fine, as it has thus far. It took some paying attention to realize that when the instructions talk about "cups" they mean using the little measuring cup that comes with it. A full one of the measuring cups holds about a generous 2/3 cup. The cooking bowl holds a full 3 cups so it really does make three real cups of rice! I love that I can start it up and pay attention to the rest of supper while it works unattended and keeps the rice warm until I need it. It does take a little longer than doing it on the stove top but is effortless while I work on other things! I like the slightly browned nutty tasting rice in the bottom that will form if you leave it in the warming cycle for a good while. Understand that in Japan it is desirable! You don't get much if you use it soon after the cooking cycle ends.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 2, 2015
I'd give this one a solid "Meh." It cooks the rice, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

Cons: Every time, and I've used it several times, the rice crusts on the bottom, browning. Thankfully, not burning, but not what I want. And, I've tried different amounts, adding a little more liquid, etc., but the result is still the same. Brown ricey crust on the bottom. Luckily, its a non stick surface, so cleanup is relatively easy -- a good soak usually does the trick. The starchy liquid boils over every time, gunking up the lid and the lip on the cooking bowl. Needs a decent soak in cold water to that clean up too.

Pros: It (mostly) does what its supposed to do by cooking rice without me having to watch it. Previously, when I cooked rice in the microwave or on the stove top, I was always boiling it over, making a bigger mess than this thing does. And, clean up is relatively easy.

Word to the wise: This thing is SMALL. It does not cook enough for a large family. I have just myself and my young son, so it makes the right amount for us, but if there are leftovers, its a small amount -- 1/2 cup or so for my lunch the next day. Don't buy this if you have a family with two adults and a few kids -- it won't be enough. Get a larger one.
VINE VOICEon February 24, 2014
UPDATE 9/4/2014-It's still going strong after 10 months. In the beginning I used this cooker every morning at work to cook oatmeal and to heat soups, stews and chilli at lunch. During summer month's I haven't used it everyday but I am still using it many times throughout the month to cook or reheat leftovers while at work. If this one quits I will definitely purchase another one.

Original Review:

After reading reviews and complaints regarding this item dying after 2-3 months and seeing responses from Black & Decker Customer
Service in several of the comment sections of reviews, I commented back to the Customer Service Representative asking if they knew what the problem is and if it had been fixed. I didn't receive an answer to my question which made me a little concerned but I went out on a limb and purchased anyway in November 2013.

I wanted a small appliance this size to cook oatmeal for one (me) for breakfast at work and to reheat soups, stews, etc. at lunch. I'm not doubting the consumers who stated the item quit or didn't last for them but this has been one little workhorse for me. I have used it no less than one time a day (breakfast), many times two (lunch) for over three months now and it's still working.

Maybe Black & Decker the problem fixed. Maybe I received a good unit or just maybe mine might quit any day now and I will have to update my review. And there may be other underlying causes of the item short circuiting or blowing a fuse. I make certain that I follow all of the guidelines in the manual prior to use such as making sure the exterior of the bowl is completely dry before placing in the base since the manual instructs the user to not allow water into the cooking apparatus. I immediately unplug the unit after the unit clicks into the warming mode. I also purchased and use a QVS PA-1P Single-Port Power Adapter with On/Off Switch so that I can turn it off before plugging/unplugging it into an outlet. Using it without this on/off switch causes an electrical arc when plugging in. This may or may not blow the overheat fuse that most of these type appliances have now as a safety measure.

PLEASE KNOW that I'm in no way implying that the cause of other units quitting is the users fault. I'm just listing the things that I make sure and do before and after each use since my unit is still working. If any of the above is the cause of the units shorting out or blowing a fuse Black & Decker should take measures to correct it as it shouldn't be that fragile and is not cheap if you consider that a 6-cup rice cooker such as the Aroma ARC-743-1NG 3-Cup (Uncooked) 6-Cup (Cooked) Rice Cooker and Food Steamer, White is only a few dollars more and those are tough little units. I have one of those as well and was using it until I decided to purchase this little guy to leave at work.

I have not cooked rice yet as that was not my main purpose in purchasing and I have a larger rice cooker since this unit is to small to cook enough rice for a family but is adequate for 1-2 servings.

If you are on the fence, as I was about purchasing, at the present time I'd say go for. Just be sure to read the user manual and follow all the recommendations. If it fails contact Black & Decker as they appear to stand behind the failed units, at least according to the reviews posted here. If my unit quits I will update my review after I take it to a local guy who still fixes electrical appliances to find out why it quit. If you're still not sure then purchase a 6-cup unit. The 6-cup unit is also great at cooking oatmeal, reheating soups and stews, and cooking rice. They just take up a little more room.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse