Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 66 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 136 reviews
on December 2, 2016
I like his writing style, maybe because of the subject matter and things that I have personal knowledge of helps bring everything to life. The only complaint I have regarding his writing is that most of his books end with un-resolved issues or situations. It seems he could tie things together a little better regarding situations, characters, etc.
on July 15, 2016
I read this book in 24 hours! Sandra is a child left to raise herself because her mother was a drunk. With no parental love or guidance, Sandra is forced to do things to survive from a very early age. While reading the story, I had to remind myself that she was only a child. Once she meets Chink, she gets caught up in the streets even more and not in a good way. This is a fast moving story that exposes some of the harsh realities of children left to fend for themselves.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2017
Donald Goins was a wonderful writer.I read this one omw to grandma funeral...I can relate to the abusive mother...I left this book in the frame that granny picture was and my family was shocked!!!I am still lost but finding my way 2017
on February 5, 2014
This book is an easy read. Yet it is so poignant. It's a heart wrenching tale of a young girl that just can't seem to get a fair break in life. She's been dealt a tough hand since birth and struggles throughout her life to make sense of it all.

The writing is a little inconsistent at times (the character's dialogue doesn't always sound authentic). I would still recommend it to others though. I read it for my book club. It lead to a great discussion about inner city teens and the obstacles they face.
on March 9, 2017
New copy, Not the best Goines Writing. Happy with the book though.
on January 6, 2017
This was the first Donald's book I read and I didn't expect it was interesting. I just bought it. Because I have no book after I finished reading my favorite authors books. But now I am a big fan of Donald Goines. Story was good and his writing style was easy to understand even for Japanese.
on December 6, 2015
Because I live in America and we crave happy endings I found myself sad for the characters in this book.

Sandra and Chink to young to understand or be in the game found themselves forced into it. The one good thing is that they found each other and loved one another.

Donald Goines work reigns supreme in this genre. He was a fabulous writer. Rest in peace ancestor.
on December 21, 2012
Black Girl Lost was the first book by Donald Goines that I have ever read, and I must say, it was by far a true love story and it was damn good. From the beginning of the book, your heart reaches out to a young black girl who seems to have no one in the world that cares about her... And then there was Chink. This book makes you believe and understand the true meaning of love, struggle and ultimately sacrifice. Definitely a good read. I recommend it to anyone.
on June 28, 2014
This was the first book i ever read by Donald Goines and I loved it!! in fact i loved his style of writing i have bought 6 more of his books and read 3 of those so far and still havent been disappointed. this book is an awesome read. the style is greatly done and the characters developed wonderfully. The ending surprised me and had me in tears! I recommend anyone to read this book it is still important now and days and still going on.
on January 18, 2013
Donald Goines in this book writes with a sensitivity and vuneralbilty that was diffrent then Whoreson or Dopefiend was. I was really a urban Romeo and Juliet without being Cleche or predictable. Its easy to fall in love with all of the characters. Goines was able to craft a book that was feministic in some regards since I could emagine and young girl growing up in poverty fighting the odds to simply exsist. I like Goines because his work are timeless.