Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 147 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 367 reviews
on September 29, 2016
Muse greatly expanded their sound with Black Holes and Revelations. The framework in their music has been there for a while, but this was the album that really explored their musical reach. They would do the same on their next two albums, with somewhat mixed results, before going back to a more straight rock oriented sound, but this album remains a joy to listen through all the same.

Now the record pressing is fantastic. It keeps mostly the same mixing as was on the CD release, but it's noticeably clearer sounding. It has the same bass heavy sound, but it has a slightly clearer high end. Which I appreciate, as this album over their previous efforts did sound a bit more muted and washed out over their previous works.

Actual record quality is amazing. No pops or scratches. It makes for a pristine listening from front to back. No warping that I can notice on the record either.

Overall, it's just a great album by a great band. And this captures them at a real turning point musically. Some might say it's their last truly great album too. Even almost ten years later, it still holds up extremely well.
review image review image
on October 19, 2016
This is the album that brought Muse into the masses. Believe the hype, "Black Holes and Revelations" is extraordinary from start to finish. "Take A Bow" is a political and angry juggernaut. "Starlight" is simply romantic. Contains a killer keyboard riff and flawless vocals courtesy of Matthew Bellamy. That falsetto of his STELLAR. "Supermassive Black Hole" is a thumping, sexy dance track with Prince-esque vocals. Easily a fan favorite. "Map of the Problematique" is a haunting track with dark synths. Reminds me of a Depeche Mode track. The short but sweet, "Soldier's Poem" and "Invincible" are beautiful and heartfelt ballads. Clearly shows a different side to the band. The great thing about this album is the variety. You get a little bit of everything: rock, pop, alternative, dance, electronica, etc. The tempo picks up again on "Assassin" (love those blistering guitars and chord changes) and "Exo-Politics" which my pick for BEST track. I could listen to that song 10 times in a row. "Exo-Politics" has this addicting chorus you can't get out of your head. "City of Delusion" is absolute perfection, and "Hoodoo" is another slower track but has a loud and fiery bridge that will blow you away. The final track, "Knights of Cydonia" was obviously influenced by Queen with the vocal harmonies and awesome guitar solo towards the end. Muse play this song a lot in concert. Amazing and powerful song. "Black Holes and Revelations" is the right place to start if you are at all interested in hearing this incredible band. Not one weak song in the bunch. No filler. I highly recommend it. Enjoy!
on November 13, 2013
3 star rating for the vinyl.
5 star rating for the album.

Vinyl:
Delivery was fast. Item as described. However, there isone little defect, the center hole was a bit too tight, making it hard for me to place the vinyl on my turntable. The vinyl played perfectly fine however, no noise whatsoever. It's just that it's hard for me to place this vinyl on my turntable and then take it out.

Album:
What can i say.. Perfection. Not the best Muse album (that honor should go to either of the 2 albums that precedes Black Holes), but it is pretty close. It is in my opinion the best album of the 'new sounding' Muse with heavy use of electronic music. Many hated this album of the different direction that the band took. But i like how they mix rock with dance music. It's just so catchy.

It is so different from their previous albums that it's like a new band playing all these songs. It's not a bad thing. Bands need to evolve. Muse did a very good job here.

So many killer tracks here. My favs:
- Knights of Cydonia
- Starlight
- Invincible
- Supermassive Black Hole
- Take a Bow
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2017
Muse on a hot streak with the release of this album. If you're reading this, you probably know some songs off it, so just get it.
on March 18, 2016
I've been a fan of Muse since Absolution came out in the US. For whatever reason I never bought the follow up, even though i'd heard it over the late 2000s at parties.

This is one of the best albums i've ever heard. For real.

Diverse, powerful, soulful. Every one of these and everything in between. Brilliant.

Buy it. You won't be disappointed.
on October 19, 2016
I am a HUGE Muse fan. Every album.. Every song.. and I can tell you, this is their best album! Supermassive Black Hole will always be my favorite song.
on February 24, 2010
MUSE is one of the best bands of all time. Period. Being a prog rock and rock fan of music, for me they are up there with Genesis (old Genesis), Rush and the Beatles. The genius of Matt Bellamy as a song writer, gifted pianist and guitarist continues to amaze me. Obviously, I own a lot of MUSE music. Prior to purchasing this CD/DVD combo I was already obsessed with BHAR and already owned 2 copies. What an accomplishment this album was for the band! But to include the Absolution concert DVD in with this purchase makes it my best MUSE purchase to date, excluding concert tickets of course. The Absolution DVD is a tough one to acquire if you live in the states like me. But at last I found it and did not hesitate to pay $70 for it. I had seen the Absolution concert on Muse's website (check it out muse.mu....it's bar none the best band website I have ever seen) and I knew I had to find it so I could blast it through the huge speakers in my living room. The version of Muscle Museum on this DVD alone makes the purchase worthwhile. Well done MUSE.
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2017
Great album
on November 11, 2012
So it's official, I'm in love. A friend of mine turned me onto this band and earned his stripes as my friend. His assessment was that I would either instantly love them or wonder what on earth he was thinking recommending them. It's the former, definitely the former. One of the songs was on the first Twilight soundtrack and it was the best song on that soundtrack. I also love having the entire album on my phone. Eat your heart out iTunes. Android finally has an app that not only matches iTunes for content but also surpasses them for price economy. Yay AmazonMP3
on February 2, 2009
Like a man and women who look into each other's eyes for the first time and know that they have found true love, Muse hits you straight in the heart and never lets you go. Once you have picked up your dropped jaw after hearing Take a Bow for the first time, you can take a second to realize that you have found the pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow; that you have found the Emerald Castle at the end of the yellow brick road. You realize that you have found something so special that you wonder if you are dreaming because you can't believe that you are only now discovering Muse. You find it so hard to believe that something so amazing could have eluded you for so long.

Webster's defines muse as to become absorbed in thought. Well, Muse will certainly make you wonder. They will make you think and realize how fortunate we are to have such an amazing group of musicians that are Muse.