Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 89 reviews
on December 21, 2013
This is a great jazz album some consider the best, many will agree or disagree which is fine. I think it comes close but not as good as Coltrane's A Love Supreme or Miles Davis Kind of Blue. But there really isn't a need to compare. It's like an abstract painting, pushing your thoughts and imagination to new heights. It feels lively, frantic at times and raw and gritty at others, definitely does not feel over produced. This is a master contemplative piece, some will hate it or not get it which is fine, but don't say people are stupid or pretentious if they like it, for each his own, don't force your view on mine because I didn't force mine on you! The piano parts are wonders. Different tracks will pull your emotions into different realms. The structures are complex and beautiful, it tells a story so vivid the mind could be in different time periods and reach new heights. You could be thinking as much you are feeling. You could be seeing as much as you are imagining all at once. Nights become so busy, full of noise and busy traffic. Time moving so fast and frantic every detail is lost. The mind floats and wanders off like a puff of smoke from a cigarette. Everything is black and white, newspaper reels flash across like a collage of intensity. How people interpret it, a consensus will never be met.
on June 24, 2010
This second release by Charles Mingus on Impulse after "Mingus, Mingus.." is perhaps one of the best pieces that Mingus committed to vinyl, now in CD form. Like all his works, it's a confessional autobiographical work of his feelings at the moment like the earlier "Tijuana Moods" and later, "Let My Children Hear Music" (his last significant work on Columbia). He's also blessed with superior musicians like altoist Charlie Mariano, pianist Jaki Byard and multi-reedist Jerome Richardson to carry out his musical aims. The power of this music and the other two works is that you can almost visually see as you're listening, the aspects of Mingus' life he's conveying through sounds. Granted this music isn't for everyone, but if you liked those two other pieces, then this is for you. Mingus, along with Gil Evans, was probably one of the most significant composer/arrangers in the history of jazz (ironically, they both died in Mexico). It's too bad that both were not allowed to score more films in their brief lifetimes--"Shadows" for Mingus and "Absolute Beginners" for Evans. Enjoy!
on November 1, 2008
What's another five-star review on the pile of existing ones for "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady"? Nothing, really, except to echo dozens of reviewers before me in calling this album a brilliant, groundbreaking, remarkable synthesis of a composer's vision and the jaw-dropping talents of his ten chosen disciples to convey this intensely spiritual and emotional jazz work. The instruments seem to speak parts of an intricate play; indeed, this is one of the most intense non-vocal albums to listen to for me, as it runs the gamut from despair to elation. In some ways, the album is a tour of jazz styles and musicians past and future; the 1963 date gives one pause as he or she realizes what Mingus and his musicians on BS&SL were anticipating that only became clear in later artists' recordings. But more than some museum walk through jazz, BS&SL is a compositional, technical masterpiece that grabs you from the first sax growl and holds you until the last unaccompanied tenor sax note floats off into infinity, a fittingly ambiguous ending to this recording that tries to accomplish so much and for once, manages to pull it off.
on August 14, 2016
Absolute artistry--dark and mystifying with the power of a great classical tone poem. This is a must have for any Charles Mingus fans.
on July 27, 2013
This LP sounds great. This Analogue Productions version is an all analogue cut using the best gear and high quality mastering from the original master tape. However, the current press of this album is pressed by Quality Record Pressings (QRP) and both discs were dish warped. QRP makes heavy 200g records. History has shown that records heavier than 180g are prone to dish warpage because they don't leave it in the press long enough to cool. The now defunct Classic Records had the same problem. Ironically, almost every record I've purchased pressed at QRP has had quality issues; usually dish warps. If I remember correctly, the original Analogue Productions press of this album was pressed at 180g by RTI. I rarely have seen any problems with RTI. Anyway, I returned the album. I repurchased and the second copy was flat. The sound of every LP issued by Analogue Productions is stunning, but you're taking your chances on the physical quality by it being pressed by the terribly inconsistent QRP.
on April 19, 2017
Of the pressings I've purchased on Amazon, this one seems to be the best quality. Not only that, the display of improvisation on this album is second to none. Mingus was a genius.
on December 25, 2014
I became a fan of jazz a few years ago and can't believe it took me this long to discover Charles Mingus. This is one of the greatest jazz albums I've ever heard.
on July 25, 2017
had to return a flawed disc
on May 27, 2008
Outstanding! This is as cool as they come. Charles Mingus should have his own Universe where he is king of everything. Listening to this recording convinces me that Mingus was a true original in every sense of the word. Wow! I could listen to this album forever; well, not forever; but I won't grow tired of it any time soon. It is so rich and virtuosic; a wild, eclectic salad of aural delights. I am eternally thankful that a guy like Charles Mingus lived and did what he did. This is wild, cool, crazy, and extraordinary music. The creativity of this man astounds me. I wouldn't hesitate to plunk down the money for this CD. My one complaint; and I hate myself for stating it; is that it could have been a little longer. But I say that only because I am greedy for more of this marvelous music.
on June 10, 2009
I've been listening to classical music since my early teens, and while my jazz phase is more recent, I can say I've never heard anything in the entire spectrum of music like Black Saint & The Sinner Lady. From the first moment I was hooked, this album is the outpouring of a man's soul to be sure, but like all Mingus I've encountered so far, is always perfectly controlled, the composer/arranger/player Mingus always knows exactly where he's going and what he wants, even in the most riotous and complex passages. Perfectly elegant, controlled, soulful rending and tearing. It shot to the top of my favorite jazz albums list less than 30 minutes after I unwrapped it from the plastic.