Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BlackRapid RFH-1E0 Fastenr Tripod (FR-T1) (Black)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on December 27, 2011
I like my Black Rapid sling. I like my Manfrotto tripod. Removing the plate from the bottom of the camera to switch between the two often cause the plate to go in to hiding. Not lost, but not easily found either. This accessory solves that problem since the plate does not have to be removed to use the strap.
Unlike the original thumb screw, this D-ring is made to hold the weight of the camera.
I have the RC-2 system and the R-T1 does fit, but it doesn't fit well. Removing the original screw and installing this one is easy. Don't toss the old components just yet. Use the washer supplied in the kit and e-ring ring. If sloppy fit try adding the old washer. Once installed on camera body, it will tighten up either way.
The D-ring is loose enough that it falls over while trying to connect the strap. Or open and cause issues while trying to slide on a tripod. If the pivoting D-ring had more resistance or something that just would make it 'stay-put' while transferring between tripod-strap-tripod, it would be great.
on July 8, 2011
Why bother replacing the bolt and D-ring of your Manfrotto RC2?

There IS a substantial difference in the Manfrotto RC2 and replacement BlackRapid FastenR-T1 hardware even though they both use the same standard 1/4"-20 screw w/bolt and D-ring design. The RC2 quick release (made of aluminum) is simply meant to attach your camera to the mounting plate of your tripod and nothing more, while the R-T1 (made of STAINLESS STEEL!) is much stronger and in addition designed to 'carry' more weight while dangling your camera (my Nikon D5100 and D7000) upside down, especially with the D-ring component. Which would you rather have swinging your investment, aluminum or stainless steel?

UPDATE(10/03/11): This is such an efficient system that I bought another FasteneR-T1 for my D7000. =D
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2014
Unfortunately this did not fit the hole in my tripod mount. The area where the threads are on the screw side has a wider diameter just below the base. So basically it's kind of a "stepped" mount. The threads are a smaller diameter than the section just above it which would be the section that fits into the tripod mount hole. I either have to drill the hole in my tripod mount bigger, or have a machinist turn the section down to fit the mount hole. Either way it's more effort and or more cost than it's worth. I don't want to modify my tripod mount. So I'll figure something out. If it would have fit, it would have been a killer addition to my set up. This is a nice rugged little attachment. If you have a Manfrotto or other name brand tripod, it will probably fit since that's what it's designed for. Mine is not a high end brand and it's a Manfrotto knock off.
review image
on March 22, 2011
Many of the reviews indicate there's something wrong with the FasteneR-T1. I did some research and many problems were attributed to a QA issue with BlackRapid. Some units prevented the release plate from laying flat when mounted. This in turn caused some cameras to fall.

The FasteneR-T1 I received was easy to install and secures the release plate tightly to my Nikon D90. No problems here.
on July 2, 2011
I purchased a number of BlackRapid products (R-7 with several mods and connectors) here last week. I have been more than satisfied with everything except this item.

I have a number of RC2 platforms so I know they aren't the problem but when I add this item to any of them it feels really loose, so much so that the circlip can twist in the hole. There is no way I would trust my gear hanging on this.

I have messaged BlackRapid's customer service contact email to see what they have to say.

I'll update this when I hear back from them (or don't).

May 20, 2012 - I thought i had followed up on this earlier, apparently I had not. BlackRapid did send me another unit at no charge. It had the same problem. I haven't used it since.
on August 31, 2011
BlackRapid makes the best camera strap system out there, hands down. I've owned one since they came out and finally decided to buy myself a nice little present - the latest generation hardware.

The FastenR-T1 is much nicer than the original FastenR, and clearly a stronger design than the bolt which comes with Manfrotto QR plates. The finish quality, however is atrocious. The "black nickel" coating started chipping and flaking the very first time I attached the connector, and after less than a month of daily wear is practically non-existent.

If this finish flaking proves to be little more than a cosmetic issue I will have no regrets over the purchase, as the peace of mind is worth the purchase price to me. If, however, operation is compromised I will edit this review and lower the star count.
on November 17, 2011
This is a big improvement over the standard D ring that comes with the Manfrotto quick plate. It is more solid and you can tell it was made to handle the weight of your camera. That being said, for what it is, it is way overpriced. I think $10 would be much more reasonable.
on July 25, 2013
I have one of these fastened to my Manfrotto RC4 plate- when i need to mount the camera to my tripod, i have to unscrew this stud- when i did recently, i realized that it had started unscrewing itself over time was a mere millimeters (in my case, it was about within 30 minutes more for me) from completely unscrewing- which would have caused my Canon 5D 3 and 24-70 L lens to drop onto solid cement. Black Rapid acknowledged their fastener stud will come loose and said i "needed to check to make sure it's fastened tightly every time i use the camera"... a poor excuse.

If you do buy this, make sure you purchase the Op/Tech Connector Uniloop for 7 bucks, which fastens to your BlackRapid strap and loops around the little silver camera strap pin that is on the bottom of your camera- this will provide a secondary fail-safe.... if the fastener ever comes loose and separates from the camera, the Connector strap will catch the camera and save your gear. Found the info on forums regarding BlackRapid and works very well. B0010HA6A6
on September 28, 2012
The hole on the plate is not big enough for the threads on T1 to go completely through, let alone installing a lock-in washer below the threads. Fortunately the stock release plate that came with my Manfrotto tripod has a hold big enough to let the threads go through and fasten the system in place. There's nothing wrong with the two parts individually, but they are not meant to be sold together.
on June 24, 2013
4-star rating because...

This little device, while relatively pricey considering what it is and that it is only compatible with Manfrotto quick release plates, is an immense "convenience" addition to your rig. Being able to switch from your BlackRapid shoulder strap to your tripod without unscrewing and screwing new parts in/out of your rig is great when you want maximum flexibility on your photo shoots. Also, this means wear and tear on the mount screw threads on your camera is kept at a virtual minimum.

I wanted to give it 5 stars, but I deducted a star because the D-ring on the FR-T1 has no resistance to it. This doesn't seem to be an issue until you try to mount your camera into the tripod head. The D-ring wants to hang down, making it necessary to jiggle and finagle the D-ring into a lifted position so that the plate can seat properly in the head mount. I've remedied this problem by sort of sliding my camera over the tripod head so that one side of the head positions the D-ring in a flat position. Then I can quickly let the plate seat in the tripod head. This isn't any sort of weird or advanced move, but it's not "ideal" in that I can just drop my mounting plate straight in.

All in all, BUY the FR-T1. The flexibility and convenience outweigh the reason for my one-star deduction.