SquareTrade 4-year Office Protection Plan ($125-$150)from SquareTrade
- Coverage for product breakdowns and malfunctions
- 24/7 customer support
- Free shipping on all repairs with no deductibles or hidden fees
- Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in the first 30 days
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder - Thunderbolt
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- The Power of Thunderbolt: Built on revolutionary Thunderbolt technology, UltraStudio has a blazingly fast 10 Gb/s connection that's up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0. That's enough bandwidth to handle the highest resolution video formats easily
- Unmatched Quality: Now you can handle any job your client presents to you, from TVC to feature films. UltraStudio operates with both compressed and uncompressed video, so it can handle anything and you're not locked into a single codec quality
- Works with all Video Software: UltraStudio is fully compatible with your favorite software. All UltraStudio files are open standard DPX and QuickTime format, so are compatible with all software. UltraStudio even includes a developer SDK and QuickTime
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare with similar items
Blackmagic Design Micro Converter HDMI to SDI (with Power Supply) BMD-CONVCMIC/HS/WPSU
Blackmagic Design H.264 Pro Recorder, Distributes H.264 Video Files to Websites, YouTube, iPhone, iPad- Captures from All Popular Video Formats
Blackmagic Design UltraStudio HD Mini Recorder with Thunderbolt 3 Interface
Rybozen HD USB 3.0 Capture HDMI Card Device Dongle Full HD 1080P Video Audio HDMI to USB Adapter Converter
Blackmagic Design Web Presenter
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||DVE Store - Digital Video Equipment Store||Kellards||SabrePC||Motion Media, LLC||Tech&Direct||Olympian LED|
|Item Dimensions||5.2 x 5.2 x 1.6 in||1.8 x 3.01 x 0.98 in||2.7 x 5.3 x 5.9 in||6 x 9 x 8 in||1.6 x 3.6 x 2.5 in||5.51 x 6.69 x 1.73 in|
|Item Weight||0.62 lb||5.29 ounces||—||—||2.47 ounces||1.37 lbs|
The Power of Thunderbolt: Built on revolutionary Thunderbolt technology, UltraStudio has a blazingly fast 10 Gb/s connection that's up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0. That's enough bandwidth to handle the highest resolution video formats easily Unmatched Quality: Now you can handle any job your client presents to you, from TVC to feature films. UltraStudio operates with both compressed and uncompressed video, so it can handle anything and you're not locked into a single codec quality Works with all Video Software: UltraStudio is fully compatible with your favorite software. All UltraStudio files are open standard DPX and QuickTime format, so are compatible with all software. UltraStudio even includes a developer SDK and QuickTime API so you can develop your own custom solutions
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
From the standpoint of ingesting HDMI footage the two devices are pretty much identical. The Ultrastudio Mini recorder takes HDMI in on one side and shoots video through the Thunderbolt port to a PC or Mac. It even uses the exact same software as the Intensity Extreme including the included Media Express recording app. The Mini works just as well as the Intensity extreme for streaming applications.
Where they differ is that the Intensity Extreme has the ability to pass through the incoming HDMI to another device. It also has analog input and output capabilities which this device lacks.
If you're usually just capturing and/or streaming HDMI video footage, this is all you need. It works great once it's configured properly.
1) Download and install the latest software for UltraStudio MiniRecorder from blackmagic's web site. Restart your cpu.
2) Hook up the Ultrastudio to your computer using a thunderbolt cable and connect a camcorder to your Ultrastudio.
3) Open up your Mac's System Preferences, click on "Blackmagic Design", and set "Input" to "HDMI Video & HDMI Audio."
4) Open up Blackmagic Media Express and your camcorder's HDMI signal should show up on "Log and Capture" (make sure you select 1080i/59.94 for your preference settings in Media Express).
Hope that helps someone!
The Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder was an intriguing, low-cost solution for interfacing our HDMI camera with a MacBook Pro we already own. This device allows us to put more of the encoding chain into software, giving us a choice of encoders and providers. I purchased it along with an Apple MD861ZM/A Thunderbolt Cable - 2.0 M (NEWEST VERSION).
Thanks to the experiences many other reviewers have shared here, I knew to download the software directly from BMD, and installed it before plugging in any devices. The version current at this writing (Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.3.7) also installs four applications:
* Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
* Blackmagic LiveKey
* Blackmagic Media Express
* Blackmagic Multibridge Utility
LiveKey and Multibridge Utility don't seem to apply to this device at all. Disk Speed Test is what it sounds like, performing a "stress test" of write and read speeds to evaluate which video formats your current setup is likely to support. Media Express can capture, log, and play back video from the Mini Recorder and other devices.
My experience with the Mini Recorder (interfacing a Canon HDMI camera to my MBP, and feeding it to Wirestream for a test YouTube live video event) was almost painless. I did not have a huge bundle of choices, but rather the format being ingested from HDMI. So, from my perspective, it really WAS "plug and play" with video and audio feeding from the camera into Wirestream.
The box itself is both improbably small and unbelievably heavy. The outer shell seems to be 1/32-inch steel, and acts as a heat sink in operation--it does get uncomfortably warm. A single white LED next to the Thunderbolt port indicates output. The input ports are BNC and full-size HDMI (a good match for the HDMI/mini HDMI cable supplied with my camera). There is no power cable or adapter.
I am quite impressed with the BMD Mini Recorder, and can say it has already earned a place in my setup.
OLD REVIEW: Very disappointing, only lasted 6 months of weekend use. So that's like 30 days of use. It does get hot. We tested the cables and other macs and determined this unit just flat out died. Will be working on returning for refund or exchange. Only gets a star because it worked very well. But not cost effective, maybe we got a bad unit. I hope Black Magic can restore faith in this product. OLD REVIEW, SEE UPDATE ABOVE.
For the most part, it worked alright with OBS (a software we use to broadcast those combined feed to Facebook Live). The part where it failed to work was with Camtasia 3 on a Mac. Camtasia would detect the input but whenever you try to start recording, it would fail.
We have also tried the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0, it had even more compatibility issues with the source (it wouldn't work half the time). It's a piece of junk 80% of the time.
We wasted a lot of time trying to change settings etc+
We subsequently bought a Magewell HDMI-USB Gen 2, it was way way easier and more compatible. In fact, you don't even need any special drivers on a Windows, Mac and Linux. It detects it as a webcam. The Magewell HDMI - USB is by far the best capture device we have ever used. Save your time and money and hop on straight with the Magewell.