Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 23, 2011
I have owned a Vitamix for over 2 years. My daughter has owned a Blendtec for the same period of time. We call this "Blender wars", as we both love our blenders. But here are the differences we see between the two.

1. Warranty. The Vitamix definitely has the better warranty. We purchased ours at Costco, so this is a non-issue. Costco will honor any purchase, regardless of warranty.
2. Horsepower. The Blendtec has a 3 hp motor, the Vitamix a 2hp. But we don't see any difference whatsoever in the blended results. Vitamix told me they achieve a similar result due to the design & movement of the blades.
3. Tamper. The Blendtec's 3 hp will usually blend everything without any pushing. The Vitamix requires use of the tamper if you blend things like frozen fruits, apples, etc. This requires you to stand there for about 30 seconds longer, or less, to use the tamper.
4. Lid. The Vitamix has the better lid. It never pops off, as the Blendtec lid will if not held down at first. And the Vitamix lid has a large hole, where the tamper fits through, or a cap fits in securely, where you can add ingredients without removing the lid. The Blendtec has a tiny hole for ventilation, through which liquids squirt upward.
5. Container. The Blendtec has the better container. It has flat sides, which are easy to clean of the finished drink, or thick nut butters, etc. The Vitamix container has an uneven surface, which is hard to get finished products entirely off of.
6. Cleaning. Both Vitamix & Blendtec clean easily. Add water & detergent, blend for a few seconds, rinse.
7. Noise. Both are very loud. Very. I put mine on a rubber mat to reduce the noise.
8. The Vitamix looks more sturdy, more expensive. It's a little heavier, which makes the Blendtec preferred for travel.
9. The Vitamix controls are variable. The Blendtec has programmable buttons. If I need a smoothie to run for 2 minutes, I have to look at the clock, or set my timer on the microwave. My daughter can just push a button, and know how many seconds it will run, then stop.
10. Owner's manual. We agree hands down that the Vitamix has the better manual. 3 ring binder, tabs for categories, extra books for grains, etc, with holes already punched. The Blendtec manual is pathetic. You need a good book while getting acquainted with your blender.
11. The Vitamix is taller than the Blendtec. I put my base on the countertop, the container on the fridge. My daughter can put her entire unit on the countertop.
12. Vitamix recipes really deliver great results. I like to eat healthier, so I easily modify them. My daughter has taken tips from the Vitamix manual. The Vitamix has been around for decades, so they already know how to get the best results from their blender. The Blendtec really needs to work on their recipes.
13. Flour. I had to buy a second "dry" container($100) to blend my flours with the Vitamix. The Blendtec will blend flours in the original container. My daughter has to plan to blend flour first thing in the morning, when her container is dry.

Both my daughter and I have used our blenders at least once a day, sometimes several times a day, for over 2 years. We can't imagine being without them. We make our own flours, soups, smoothies, nut butters, seed milks, you name it. She made her own coconut wraps last night, using real coconut blended with other ingredients, then layered the mush onto parchment paper, dehydrated for 4 hours, and made samosas with plum chutney. The wraps took her minutes to prepare, using the Blendtec and dehydrator, not counting the 4 hours wait time. Salsas and chutneys take seconds. If we use frozen fruits for our ice creams, blending for about 20 seconds, we don't need to use an ice cream maker afterward. Puddings are a dream. No standing over a hot stove, stirring. I use raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds for the milk, flax meal for the egg substitute, cacao nibs for the chocolate. No one knows the difference, except that mine is the best pudding in town.

I like good appliances, that make eating healthy really easy and fast. Whether you choose a Vitamix or a Blendtec, you can eat healthier at home, without having to work hard at it when you are tired after work. No more fast food restaurants! I'm finishing the last of my smoothie(spinach, apple, cucumber, ginger, mint leaves, bee pollen). Yum. Maybe a lentil curry soup for dinner. I already made my bread(homemade whole wheat & rye flours).

You have to USE YOUR BLENDER! A friend purchased the Blendtec 7 months ago, and hasn't touched it. This may be due to lack of a good owner's manual. The Vitamix manual is available through Amazon, called Whole Food Recipes for Better Living. This has really good tasting recipes to get you started, but may not be the healthiest. It really shows you how to use the blender, after which you can easily modify the recipes. I also like Going Raw, Everything you need...
2,251 helpful votes
2,252 helpful votes
4141 comments|Report abuse
on January 6, 2016
I purchased this Blendtec blender after seeing it on a TV show called Modern Marvels on the History Channel. After watching what this blender could devour I knew my wife would love it. I ordered it just a few days before Christmas and Amazon got it to me on Christmas Eve. It is very user friendly with lots of preset programs so you can start it and when it shuts off it's done. We have used it to make smoothies, ice cream, and believe it or not butter from whipping cream. This machine is awesome. It come with an 8 year warranty so you know they built it to last. It is a bit on the pricey side but it will more than likely be the last blender you buy.
5 helpful votes
on January 1, 2017
The product was dead on arrival. First time we tried to use the blender it displayed 'overload' and refused to spin. So far this product is little more than a paperweight for my kitchen.
[update] After contacting Amazon, they sent a replacement. Hurrah and I would not expect anything less.
Now we have a blender that works and my wife and I are finally starting to see what all the fuss is about. We love the no-fuss blending (it sucks the chunks into the blades) and once you have finished, it takes seconds to clean.
Now that I can use a working blender, I have upgraded from one to four stars.
on February 3, 2017
I have only use this for smoothies. I owned a Vitamix for 20 years it finally died and I had to replace it. This makes better smoothies. I was surprise.
on May 5, 2016
I paid a small fortune for this blender and after less than 20 uses, a black rubbery substance from the bottom broke up and went into me shake! The smell was awful and lingered in my kitchen for hours. This blender is supposed to last for 15 years at the very least! Amazon has called and e-mailed them and the company has ignored me. So disappointed and upset!!
74 helpful votes
75 helpful votes
on March 14, 2015
Very powerful blender - we use it every day to make green smoothies, which really can't be made as nutritiously (breakdown of cell membranes) with a regular blender. This is our second Blendtec. The first one lasted about 12 years, then started leaking oil, but I suspect my husband added oil at some point recently, and maybe he shouldn't have. The old one still works, although making a different sound, so we are saving it as a back up. We once had a Vitamix but it was too tall to fit under our kitchen cabinets. This one is perfect, and the lid is easier to put on and take off, too.
on September 12, 2017
Great product!
Powerful, easy to clean and compact design.
Love the pre-set cycles which allow you to have the perfect consistency (without over or under blending).
You can easily pour the liquid into a glass from all 4 corners of the blender without making a mess.
Would definitely recommend the Blendtec! This is a great purchase!
1 helpful vote
on August 31, 2017
This is my first blender, so I wanted to get something nice as a treat to myself. After researching a couple, this Blentec seemed to be a good choice. However, after using this -- I find this blender to be a disappointment; it doesn't blend half the time (& yes I put enough juice in my smoothies). It's very frustrating, it's like the blade isn't doing anything!
1 helpful vote
on October 23, 2013
I haven't used it extensively at this time, certainly not to the extent of it's capabilities and have only had it for a month. I had upper and lower jaw surgery so am not eating as I would normally so haven't tried it to all of the ways I hope to use it in the future. My daughter has had one for some time and makes fruit and vegetable smoothies all the time and loves hers. I have blended chili and different soups with meat and vegetables in them and they come out perfectly smooth and easy to eat for someone that can't chew harder food yet. I have also made wonderful smoothies and the recipe book has lots of great ideas. I would recommend it but as I said I haven't had it very long or tested it to it's full capabilities, however my daughter has had hers for some time and recommended it to me.
on December 14, 2012
I blend smoothie with tomato, apple, carrot and potato every morning. I used to use a Oster Model 6891 Blender to do the job. In order to get really smooth smoothie from the Oster, I had to blend my ingredients for almost 10 minutes, sometimes longer, because quite often there would be cavitation formed, so I had to stop, got rid of air pocket and started again. After received recommendations from friends and some internet researches, I decided to take the plunge to buy a Blendtec Blender which is 10 times more expensive than the Oster.

After 50 cycle use of my Blendtec blender, I found out: 1. It's quieter than Oster in operation; 2. It's much faster to get the job done(60 seconds vs. 10 minutes plus of Oster) and does the job even better(much smoother smoothie than before); 3. It's very easy to get all the stuff from the jar and very easy to clean afterward.

Will it blend? My Blendtec blender really blends even tomato and apple seeds in just 60 seconds. The reason why I gave this product 4 stars instead of 5 is because I found out in my smoothie, occasionally there would be one or two pieces of small(about 1 or 2 rice grain size) solid carrot, no other solid ingredients but carrot. Go figure.

By the way, Blendtec Blender now comes with a seven years warranty which even covers the jar. This is really awesome. I highly recommend this product to everyone who concerns of his or her healthy diet.