Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 101 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 248 reviews
on March 6, 2017
An enjoyable book if you like Vonnegut. His usual social commentary. God Bless you Mr. Rosewater focuses on who we help and how we judge others.
The premise:
Mr. Rosewater is a man with about 80 million dollars, he uses mostly to help the people of his town. He pays their car payments, gives them money for whatever they ask. The townsfolk don't all love him, many resent his help. Meanwhile his family thinks he's crazy for helping regular people like this, and they are fighting to get control of the money so they can do "bigger and more important" things with it.
on March 31, 2017
I have been a Kurt Vonnegut reader since, well, as long as I can remember. In God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, Vonnegut references numerous other characters he has invented throughout his career. Rosewater, the title character, is a benevolent man with the Rosewater Foundation at his disposal. With Democratic and Socialist leanings, he disperses his family's money to practically anybody who asks much to the chagrin of his father, The Senator.
on June 7, 2017
I'm probably too biased when it comes to Vonnegut to write a reliable review. Actually, I think Hocus Pocus was probably my favorite and it doesn't even usually make the list as far as he's concerned. Still, this was a very, very entertaining story. With Kurt, it often seems like the journey is much more important than the destination, and I felt like the finish was a bit abbreviated, but the trip justified itself. You even get a nice little fix of Kilgore Trout in there.
on June 18, 2017
One paragraph from a Kilgore Trout book, read on the bus to Indianapolis is as true of cell phones, today, as telepathy in the book.
"The reason creatures wanted to use language instead of mental telepathy was that they found out they could get so much more done with language. Language made them so much more active. Mental telepathy, with everybody constantly telling everybody everything, produced a sort of generalized indifference to all information. But language, with its slow, narrow meanings, made it possible to think about one thing at a time—to start thinking in terms of projects."
on May 6, 2017
Well, Kurt is not really forgotten, but any and all of his books are worth a read today. In one paragraph in this book he pretty much nails why and how western civilization is consuming itself. Hint: has something to do with greed. If you are new to Vonnegut, this is not the first or second book I would read. I'd give five stars to Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five. Wonderful irony in all his books. A unique writing style and lots of disguised wisdom. Most of all, very funny and highly entertaining.
on June 4, 2017
Perhaps my favorite author, Kurt Vonnegut's novel God Bless You Mr Rosewater won't disappoint. My praise for Vonnegut's work is well documented. Therefore I will bring forth two minor disappointments that I have with this book. One, how do you pronounce the name Noyes, without putting a division between the o and the y? And what happened to the loose end characters? Actually, I don't care because I can look around my neighborhood and see for myself what happened to them......☺
on February 2, 2013
'God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater' is a novel about conflicting social viewpoints, specifically, socialism vs. capitalism (although, to be fair, I would have to say ultra-capitalism, considering the vast wealth of all the people involved). I am a huge Vonnegut fan, and although this book was good, and had many quotable lines, it was missing a key element that most Vonnegut stories have in abundance: a plot. There is no actual plot here, nor is there really a resolution. The psuedo-plot follows the attempt by Eliot Rosewater to use his inherited vast fortune to help the less fortunate, while his father attempts to bring him back into the fold (start using his money for what it was intended, making more money), before an opportunistic lawyer from the firm that handles the Rosewater fortune declares Eliot insane, thus putting the money in the hands of another branch of the Rosewater family. In reality, the book is mostly a social commentary centering mostly on debates/arguments between Eliot (the "socialist") and his father (the "capitalist"). What I found really amazing in the book, is how it illustrates the genuine fear that the rich have of any type of socialism, not because it threatens their vast wealth (that is pretty secure), but because it runs contrary to the way they believe things are supposed to be, the most extreme type of social darwinism. The rich in this novel don't consider the system to be unfair and they don't consider themselves "lucky", in fact, they look at the fact that they are rich as proof that they actually ARE better than everyone, and that their fortune is actually given to them in a divine manner, as if God himself chose them to be rich and above everyone else. Most of the characters in this book, especially the Rosewaters, are all on the extreme side of their coin, probably not reflecting any sort of reality, but it does make the book fun to read. Who will like this book? Only Vonnegut fans probably, or anyone that wants to see capitalism and the rich portrayed in the worst possible way.
on August 17, 2014
A fun read. A moral lesson. Didn't end well. For any of us.
You'll have to read it see what I mean.
But superficially: the ending just quit. Vonnegut had to wrap it up somehow, and I don't much like how he did it. But it was probably the only way he could. (I must confess to have kept reading it, in part, just to see how he was going to get out of it!)
More from me without ruining it for you? Ummm, don't think so.
Let's just say this: What if you were born filthy rich and realized that that was unthinkably unfair? What if you actually acted like Jesus said we should act -- and, as a result, people thought you were crazy?
Fortunately it's a problem almost none of us will ever have to face.
on April 25, 2012
I just finished this book, and I absolutely loved it. This was the last Vonnegut novel I hadn't read, and it was definitely a great summary of themes and beliefs he expresses in his other novels.

To that end, I wouldn't recommend it as a first Vonnegut read. It's almost an essay about his views on the madness of capitalism in America.

It's a great novel, no doubt, with a very satisfying ending. But if you've heard about Kurt Vonnegut and you just want to try it out, try "Slaughterhouse Five," "Hocus Pocus," "Cat's Cradle," or "Mother Night."

You really can't go wrong with this amazing author, but "God Bless You Mr. Rosewater" might come off as a bit preachy if you don't know what you're getting into.

That being said, it is still a great novel. So if you're a fan, read this book.
on June 7, 2013
This is a Vonnegut book, along with Bluebeard, that sort of escaped me earlier romps through his work. It's missing some of the emotional moments that I always found so compelling in Vonnegut's books, but it has his beloved style throughout.

I couldn't help but feel that Vonnegut doesn't have the answers that this book is looking for. It seemed like he got as close as he was either willing or able to get, and then just ended the book. I obviously need to read it a few more times because my first feeling was a sense of helplessness. It made me think that things are the way they are and there really is no changing it and that helping people might not necessarily help people. But in the end it doesn't matter if your help actually helped or not because people are deserving of help. Kind of an anti climatic conclusion if you ask me.