Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 428 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 763 reviews
on May 21, 2015
As a kid who grew up watching ‘The Hunt For Red October’ as the Cold War was ending, I have always had a love for the idea of the silent hunters that patrol beneath the waves. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve tried to find stories about the Cold War days of sub jousting, only to find that a lot of books are far too concerned with the technical side of the equation. I appreciate the level of research, but if I want a schematic I’ll go to Jane’s. What I enjoy far more is hearing the tales of skill and daring that defined the Cold War sub captains. So far, Blind Man’s Bluff has hit the mark more accurately than anything else I’ve read.

The book covers the use of subs in the Cold War through to the (relatively) modern day. There are some really great moments of tension and bravery to be found, including an escape from a sub on fire that is harrowing to read. The true nature of being stuck in a metal tube in the middle of nowhere gets hammered home more than once, and the risk of massive vessels dancing around each other is a constant threat in the background. Even a story that doesn’t seem that tense, where the only real ‘attack’ is merciless pinging by Russian ships, takes on a new dimension when you factor in how far from safety these sailors were. It’s actually a bit astonishing how much of this was able to go on without a major incident or full out war.

If you’re a sub hound like I am, you’ll find a lot to like in Blind Man’s Bluff. This is really a snapshot that shows the submarine in a way we’ll likely never see again.
on March 30, 2017
I was talking with a former sailor at Mardi Gras in Galveston and he was a submariner in the 1960's to 1990's and recommended the book. I bought it and it was very good. We so often focus on things of our family and business and do not pay enough attention to what is happening around us and the stories told in Blind Man's Bluff bring home how little most American's know of what our military is doing every day to protect the US and the citizens of this country. We should be very proud of the military and the job they do for each of us every day.
on January 31, 2015
Sontag and Drew - what an amazing job of reporting and investigational reporting. Some say they are traitors for publicizing the raw courage and guts of America's special project boats (submarines) throughout the Cold War, other think they are heroes. No matter which side of the coin you call, the stories in this book are riveting and make the point that the courage of our submariners and the skills of the Crews who qualify to wear American Navy Dolphins are superb. For added enjoyment, head to Spotify and look for the albums of submarine songs by Tommy Cox (who is mentioned in the book), and Booby Reed who is not. Their ballads will add a dimension to the book that is unique and should be included with it. Tommy Cox was a 'spook' on the special projects boats - listen to the ballad "Tango Charlie" to get the idea. Look for his albums 'Take Her Deep' and 'In Honor Of.' He served for 21 years in the U.S. Navy and composed the theme song 'Blind Man's Bluff' for the PBS special on Sontag and Drew's book. Bobby Reed, now an electrical engineer, partnered with Tommy Cox to put out 'Brothers of the Dolphin' which captures the humor and intensity of submarining missions. Bobby was on 'Boomers' (Missile Boats) for 6 years. When you get done with this book, you will understand that there is just about nothing a U.S. Fast Attack Crew can't make their boat do. When you pick the book up to read it, you'll hear two klaxon 'Oooogas' and the call to 'Take Her Deep.' Dive, Dive!
on July 30, 2017
This book is a CLASSIC. Many great factual stories of submarine missions and their critically important role in gathering intelligence around the world. Exciting and dramatic stories from the very early days of diesel subs and then nuclear subs right up to the date of publication. Stories that were classified and not available for many years. Well written, easy to read, highly recommended.
on July 31, 2017
This book brings to life the underwater tensions that were an everyday occurance for anyone who served on a submarine. My older brother was one of these young men. He would never talk about their missions or where they went and now I understand why. Many of their everyday struggles were overshadowed by the political tensions of the era. Great read!!
on April 30, 2017
Great book. I read it cover to cover, on a kindle, using an external battery that i am now ever so grateful doesn't require a diesel engine to recharge.

Have lived close to keyport and bangor all my life, new found respect for the work they all do.
on May 16, 2017
I have read quite a few books about the exploits of American submarines during WWII. However the stories all ended with the end of the war. This book picks up at that point and goes on for the next fifty years or so. Very informative and well written. A must read for anyone who is as fascinated with undersea operations as I have been.
on March 27, 2015
My son, a former submarine sailor (retired Master Chief, Sonar Tech) suggested this reading for me. I found it intriguing and very informative as to what our "submariners" actually go through and the "world" does not have a "clue" to the actual dangers of their "jobs"...Of course, it cannot be publicized, it is, after all...the Silent Service, for a reason...

Thank God for our Military, all branches. Thank you to all who so selflessly serve to keep us all safe "on your watch" and beyond.
on May 20, 2017
I have no idea how the authors found this data but I'm so happy they did. Exceptionally well written to put these heroes into the light! I'm looking forward to their next book/revelation of hidden stories about real heroes and selfless patriots.
on March 21, 2015
As a qualified Submariner and Submarine Reactor Operator during the Cold War, I was/am fascinated by Blind Mans Bluff. As an Enlisted Man, I had no idea about all the things that were being done by Our Amazing Submarine service. All of our activities were top secret, that I knew - BUT all of the things that were going on around me were totally unknown to me. I was/am a technical wizard but the overview of how this all fit into the world of the Cold War - for some reason it did not even occur to me. I am thankful to now, all these years later, have just a glimpse into the world of value for the USA we were creating. I cannot recommend this book highly enough - guess that sums it up.