Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 25, 2016
As a young adult and student-athlete, this book resonates with me in so many levels. The author’s purpose is to not to tell a simple story about how a kid went from nothing to something because there are many stories out there like that. He was trying to influence people that we all have something in us that can make change and we are capable of so much more than we think. The intended audience is everyone, but I mostly think it is to young adults, especially the marginalized. It is easy to relate to mainly everyone because no matter what age, we all face things that seem to be impossible in the moment, but once we come out of it, we realize we are something far greater than ourselves. It relates to my personal life because I overlook the fact that I am fortunate enough to have a gym at my house and I have the resources to get better, while others don’t. It motivates me on my school work because Michael was always in and out of school, and I am so blessed that I can go to a school everyday where the teachers want what is best for me. In the media, we, as a society, try to shy away from stuff like this because we don’t like seeing the bad side. I think it is important for us to see this because then that is the only way change will happen. I would really recommend this book to young adults of any age because there are lessons in the book that could inspire many at a young age. The author has achieved his goal of using two situations in the NFL and in Michael Oher’s case in order to show that it is possible to succeed, even when it sounds so unobtainable. He uses two stories and parallels them to show that success can come from both ends of the spectrum. I wish that he could have made the NFL part of the story easier to understand. I am a pretty big football fan, so I could understand most of the terms, but for young adult readers or people not interested in football, it could be harder for them to connect with the book. Though it can be hard, the author makes it a bit easier to understand by adding in the definition of plays. The book is very useful because it motivated me to change something about myself and society. Be prepared to grab some tissues during the middle of the book and ending because you’ll become very moved by many of the things that happen. It is easily accessible to parents, students, and teachers through Amazon or a local bookstore. The two most interesting quotes that will stick with me are: “Don’t worry where I am. I’ll tell you when I get there” and “Courage is a hard thing to figure. You can have courage based on a dumb idea or mistake, but you're not supposed to question adults, or your coach or your teacher, because they make the rules. Maybe they know best, but maybe they don't. It all depends on who you are, where you come from. Didn't at least one of the six hundred guys think about giving up, and joining with the other side? I mean, valley of death that's pretty salty stuff. That's why courage it's tricky. Should you always do what others tell you to do? Sometimes you might not even know why you're doing something. I mean any fool can have courage. But honor, that's the real reason for you either do something or you don't. It's who you are and maybe who you want to be. If you die trying for something important, then you have both honor and courage, and that's pretty good. I think that's what the writer was saying, that you should hope for courage and try for honor. And maybe even pray that the people telling you what to do have some, too.” They stick with me because as an athlete it is important to not only listen to other’s stories, but use them to motivate myself. Hard work and the courage to try new things are two key things that I have learned to use in my everyday life if I want to be successful. Overall, this book is a story that I recommend to any and all people because of the learning experiences the author will bring you along.
on June 3, 2017
This was an interesting book. It is a book about a football player and there is a lot of football discussion in it but it isn't really a football book. It is a book about a wealthy white family who takes in a poor black teenager but it isn't really a book about this decision and the good things that came from it.

The Blind Side is more of a book on the journey of Michael Oher from being a kid with very little in the way of a future other than crime and how he went to having a tremendous future through the efforts of a kind family and more importantly of himself. The author leads us through discussions on social injustice in an interesting and informative manner and being a non-American, I was surprised by some of the things that were written. Michael Lewis is very even-handed in his writings and proves to be a skilled story-teller.

This was made into a good movie and one can see why, there is tremendous evidence of the human spirit on display.
on December 13, 2017
This was a pretty good book for someone who hates football. I was intrigued by the evolution of the game in the 70's and 80's as we were huge 49er fans then. I had to google Michael Oher as his story ends in 2006 when he gets into Ole Miss. I wanted to know what became of him. Sadly he is now exhibiting signs of CTE after only 7 years in the NFL. It's why I can no longer bear to watch football. I can't help but wonder what his relationship with his benefactors has become, but I could find nothing about that. Michael Lewis is an excellent writer. He has taken a complex history and woven into it a fascinating account of human kindness.
Top Contributor: Campingon September 13, 2016
Typical Michael Lewis - well-written and entertaining. You do not have to a be sports junkie to get a lot from this book.
on March 18, 2013
Here's what I like about Michael Lewis - he is able to seamlessly interweave compelling personal stories within a larger context. Before reading this book I'd seen the movie, so I thought I knew what I was in store for: a feel good story about a down and out kid with an extraordinary talent who also happens to find a family in an unexpected place.

And of course this book has all of that - minus a lot of the emotional elements that the film focused on. But what made this book great was that it explained to me (a football idiot) what it was about this boy that made him so sought-after in the football world, and how the evolution of the game of football to it's current incarnation had created a niche into which he was perfectly designed to fit.

What I thought would be a moving story of one man's triumph in overcoming unbelievable adversity became even more than that. The writing was concise, clear, and at times humorous. The big-picture concepts and the technical details of the mechanics of the game were seamlessly interwoven with the personal story to create an incredibly detailed and rich overall mosaic.
on November 24, 2010
I had high expectations for this book since I really enjoyed this movie. I was just expecting to get a little more insight on the life of Michael Oher. Not only did I get that, I aldo got insight on how Bill Walsh and Lawrence Taylor changed the NFL.

I was fascinated with how Bill Walsh's offensive schemes transformed the NFL into a pass happy league and also enjoyed the stories surround the infancy and development of the West Coast Offense. This "B" Story is jam packed with anecdotes and statistics that backed up the notion that Bill Walsh was an overlooked genius, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

There were a lot of details about Oher's life and the entire recruiting process that were either changed or overlooked in the movie. That alone was enough to make this book worthwhile, if you loved the movie as much as I did. However, whether you liked the movie or not, if you are a football fan, this is a must read.
on June 7, 2017
Well written that showcases how the game of football had changed and how one boy grew into a perfect specimen to take advantage of that defoe a heartbreaking origin. Well worth the tag.
on October 23, 2006
Having grown up in the Bay Area, I remember watching the incredible 49ers way back when --- when Joe Montana was considered a god and Jerry Rice an angel. I was young, 10 maybe... And, with childhood petulance, would always wonder why Montana's team would let him get sacked and why the dratted white-haired coach would take him out and why he wouldn't do more of those Hail Mary, dance-around-the-living-room-with-joy passes...

With a clear, clean, easy-to-understand, and easy-to-relate-to style Michael Lewis explains it all. And sheds a huge spotlight on several important things that I never noticed as a youngster: 1) the incredible change of the game that Bill Walsh brought about and 2) the unsung heros of the game as embodied by the left tackle and other linemen.

Yes, The Blind Side is the story of Michael Oher and his amazing journey out of the ghetto and into the limelight... due largely to Sean and Leigh-Ann Tuohy. And that story was interesting, if not a little hackneyed. (I'm a bit embarassed about my cynicism, but there you go).

But I really, really enjoyed the insights that Lewis brings to the game of football and will not watch football the same way again EVER! I look forward to everything Michael Lewis writes with glee and he is the only author that I buy in hardback. And this book does not disappoint. It was completely engaging and entertaining. While I watch football sporatically nowadays, I can't wait to go to a game soon and concentrate on the left tackle......
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This was my 10th Michael Lewis book. I rank this 9 out of the 10 (Pacific Rift is not good; I haven't read Home Game, Coach, Next or the Money Culture, as they are not nearly as well regarded as his other books and are quite different from his typical formal/style).

Do not be mistaken, Lewis writing here is still excellent. The pages are informative and turn quickly. He is a masterful storyteller. The strongest parts of the book are his analysis of Lawrence Taylor, Bill Walsh and the evolution of the modern NFL game that led to the importance of left tackles like Anthony Munoz, Jonathan Ogden, and Orlando Pace.

The Michael Oher story is a lovely and heartwarming tale, but it is lessened a bit by the fact that he became (at best) an average NFL left tackle and his recent arrest stemming from an assault on an uber driver in Nashville in April, 2017. Oher is easy to root for, and Mr. Lewis does an outstanding job explaining the social forces that were stacked against Mr. Oher throughout his young life and putting them into context when comparing the experiences of many blacks and many whites in the United States. For many readers, this will be the closest they get to black poverty - Mr. Lewis has presented the issues thoughtfully.

The question about whether or not the Tuohy's role in helping him was motivated by pure goodness or a desire to see Briarcrest and Ole Miss get a star left tackle will always linger. I trust Mr. Lewis to flush out truths, and he portrays the Tuohy family as loving and sincere. Still, they did not do this with a semi-athletic star (critics of this claim will say the Oher was not on anyone's radar when the Tuohy's took him in, but super large high school sophomores that move like him easily attract lots of attention) or a non-athlete.
on July 2, 2008
If you liked Moneyball and are hoping this will be its spiritual successor, it's not. It's much more a story of one player, Michael Oher, and his travels through high school and college football (as of July 2008 he's still in college so no pro career to speak of).

I used to work as a lawyer for a pro football team so I read these kinds of stories with some personal interest, but if you're looking for a pure sports book buy Moneyball. If you like Lewis' writing style and his ability to tell a story you won't be disappointed at all. It's a great story and does contain an interesting analysis of the development of college and pro football and especially the role of the left tackle in the new offence. But it's much more personal than Moneyball - much more in the style of Liar's Poker, which becomes explained in the afterword when you discover that he knows the family described in the book personally and so he had significantly more insight into their private lives than an ordinary author.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse