Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on April 18, 2012
I used to use Turbo Tax, but had problems with it downloading and installing. Went to a CPA and she messed up efiling our tax return - was a big mess because they did not get it in time and we owed fines (which she paid.) So switched to this a couple of years ago and so far am happy with the product. Our taxes are pretty straight forward so this software worked great. It is fairly easy to use and has got me solid refunds. Most importantly it has worked with no problems using efile, so the IRS is not on my back due to late filing.

{PROS}
. Easy, fast download and install - no problems, took less than 15 minutes total
. Easy to use software - walks you through all the steps, asking questions along the way
. Imports you forms from last year
. Up to date tax laws - has all the current revisions so that I don't have to search myself to understand the yearly changes
. Does an error check - found 16 errors where I forgot to fill in some info
. Rates it for audit check - found I was low on the possibility of getting an audit. Means nothing I know if the IRS pulls out your name, but will alert you to possible red flags.
. Allows you to choose which forms you want to print out
. Gives you a status update to let you know if the IRS accepted your efile - gives you a Declaration Control Number as proof that they accepted your return
. You get 5 free efiles, nice if you want to share with your family
. There is a "go to" button which allows you to go to any part of the tax returns, forms or steps
. Can import medical, charity, etc from Deduction Pro (online) It lists lots of donated items and the estimated value for each one. You just click on the items, adding them to your deductions. I use this for charity items donated and it works great (have receipts of course.) You can print out the list of donations with all items listed with dates. And it saves it to a file on your computer.
. Can compare to last years tax data (if you used this program last year)
. You can do a direct deposit, or have them send a check for refunds
. There is an amount that shows up in the right top that shows what you owe or are refunded. When you make changes to one area of the tax forms (like medical, charity, etc) it updates the Refund/Owed

{CONS}
. A Register Product screen pops when I open it but went away when I clicked "Don't Register." Not a big deal at all really, but it is the only thing I can think of that I didn't like. I do not want more emails or junk mail.

Conclusion: The software was easy to install/use, I think it got us a sound refund, and there were no glitches with efiling.
on February 26, 2012
I've used Tax Cut (or Block At Home) for the past few years. (I switched away from Turbo Tax when Intuit had their ill-advised anti-piracy copy protection craziness.)

I've found Tax Cut to be consistently usable and easy to understand. The 2011 product is no exception. I bought the download version, and had no download or installation problems (running on an XP machine). Our return is mildly complicated, with investments (mutual fund distributions and sales) and pensions with a partial basis, which requires some allocation of the basis and non-basis portion. Block At Home Deluxe handled all this with ease.

One star off, however, because Block removed a useful form from the program. They've always had a Two Year Summary, a side-by-side comparison of this year's return and last year's return. It's the first thing I look at once my return is done, because it gives me some way to think about income, deductions, and taxes from one year to the next. Now that form is gone. I tried HRBlock support, and they confirmed that it was gone. They knew of no reason, and they did not even offer to provide feedback to their company on this issue.

So I'm a little grumpy about the company, but the software is actually pretty good and well worth the price.

As for Amazon's price fluctuations on tax software, which folks are complaining about, yes the price fluctuations are wild, and they seem to be this way every year. I've never bought tax software without seeing it on sale cheaper later. But this year I used the camelcamel folks to see the Amazon price history, and got this product at a pretty good price. Be sure to research all the different versions of the software quite carefully and buy exactly what you need.
on March 24, 2012
For the most part, I've been very happy with this software. I purchased the digital download of H&R Block at Home - Deluxe. However, I'm ranking it 2 stars since I will not be able to efile. This may be an obscure problem, but since my HSA contributions are from a premium pass-through, I had to override the entry in Form 8889. For me, these contributions do not show up on the W2, and that's the only way the software allows you to input employer contributions. However, due to that required override, I'm disallowed from e-filing. Otherwise, the interview process was straightforward and quick to navigate, and if not for the lack of e-file, I'd give it four stars.
on April 14, 2012
Every year they redo this software and make improvements. It is very hard to find out what they have done before you buy it, I have called and they say it is being rewritten, but they are not sure of the details. So you have to take a leap of faith, and if you were happy with it the year before, buy it again.
I did that and found it easily handled my complicated tax information. Stock trades on two accounts were downloaded to a tax document file and feed into the program with no problem. A Schwab stock account had to be entered manually. Every trade entered had to be opened, and questions answered to clarify the entry before it was complete. Last year each group of trades could be listed by the account. This year they are all lumped together, but the totals checked out. All brokers complied with the new federal requirements to keep track of basis, even with multiple trades within 30 days. K-1's should be no problem.
I am very happy with the software and will buy it again.
on March 4, 2012
Again this year I have used Taxcut because it does a fine job. Easy to use, imports perosnal info and 1099's from some brokerage accounts (but not Charles Schwab). I have lots of W-2's, 1099's and stock sales transactions and the Deluxe version of this program handles everything well. I never have to bother keeping up with tax law changes or reading IRS instructions - this program takes care of everything. All I have to do is collect my paperwork, enter the answers the program asks, and it's done. Just wish it could import my 1099 data directly from more sources, like Schwab and more employers. However, this is not a show stopper. May be better in fact because it allows me to review the stock sales data and look for brokerage errors. The program downloaded cleanly and worked first time. Gets better every year.
on June 3, 2012
The product is virtually the same from year to year. I've been using it for several years now and this is the second time I've gotten it from Amazon.
It went from Tax Cut to H&R Block with some tweaks.
It's fairly easy to use if you have all your info handy. Make sure to back up your data and save it with previous years. I'm old fashioned and keep a paper copy. I think you need to keep your copy for 7 years. If your a business keep it forever.
My only gripe is the download process. It's not that hard to find the download location but you should save a copy incase you need to look back sometimes the new year versions have issues.

Confused? don't be its really pretty easy to download and use. Now if Uncle sam would just send returns a wee bit quicker.
on July 12, 2012
I have used TurboTax for over 10 years. However, this year H&R Block at Home's price was just too good to pass up. Now, our tax is fairly simple now. We no longer have our own business and our biggest deduction is our home mortgage interest payments.

I purchased in on the day tax returns were due. Nothing like procrastinating. Here's a few of the positives:

* Easy and fast download (and this was on the day tax returns were due!)
* Able to import data from TurboTax 2010 return
* Easy to use interface

The only negative was printing out specific sessions was possible but not intuitive.

Overall, for me, it worked as well as past Turbo Tax software. Will definitely consider using again for 2012 taxes, but maybe purchase a bit earlier.
on July 1, 2012
I have been using H&R Block's software (Deluxe version) for over 10 years and really prefer it to TurboTax which I tried on 2 occasions (2000 & 2006). For those with investments, TurboTax pushes their Premium version which is really pricey compared to H&R Block's Deluxe version which has all that I need. Not only is it less expensive, but I think it is also easier to use. Both programs seem to want to talk you into an upgrade, a bit annoying but easy to skip over. From reading it appears that TurboTax may be better at importing investment info, back in 06 this was true in that TurboTax accepted more import formats. I found that I had to check it over anyway with both programs for accuracy as both made mistakes.
on January 9, 2012
The program is good enough, guided by a series of simple questions. Although this program and TurboTax are about equals in being the best tax prep software out there, I chose this one because I've used H&R Block in the past and thought I could import my previous filings into here. IF YOU DID YOUR TAXES AT AN OFFICE, YOU CANNOT IMPORT YOUR FILING!!! If you filed online, or with another software product, they all generate a common format file that this will easily import, but if you did your taxes in person, you've got to start from the beginning with this. It'll get the job done, but it's going to be more work than I had hoped for.
on June 11, 2013
I get H&R Block software every year. Being self employed, I usually have a question or 2 for the support staff. This particular year the staff was NOT HELPFUL AT ALL... Because of incorrect information I was given several times, I purchased extra products that did not fit the application. I spoke with several members of the support staff and the only thing that I remember being consistent among them was how they each defended the other and indicated "the customer is always wrong". It was so horrible I asked for a refund!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question