- Platform: Windows 8 / 7 / 10
- Media: Software Download
H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2016 Win + Refund Bonus Offer [Download] (Old Version)
|You Save:||$5.00 (11%)|
- Personalized tax advice
- Maximize mortgage interest and charitable deductions
- Sale of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- One State program download included, a $39.95 value (State e-file available for $19.95 per return)
There is a newer version of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
- Supported OS: Windows 10 Windows 8 Windows 7 Windows Vista
From the manufacturer
Refund Bonus Offer
The H&R Block Refund Bonus program offers you the option of using some or all of your federal individual income tax refund to purchase electronic gift cards from Amazon.com. As a special bonus to you, we’ll add an extra 5% or 10% to the amount of your e-gift card, depending on which H&R Block product you use.
Free Audit Support
In the unlikely event of an audit, H&R Block will help you manage the process and represent you in person for FREE.
Free Advice from Tax Experts
Chat with H&R Block’s tax pros and ask unlimited questions for FREE if you get stuck along the way.
Maximum Refund Guaranteed
Nobody gets you more money than H&R Block, guaranteed. We work hard to find every deduction and credit for which you qualify, so you can get your maximum refund.
Get +10% Refund Bonus on an Amazon.com gift card. Restrictions apply. See offer details.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows Vista / 7 / 8.1 / 10; Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
- Browser: Windows: Internet Explorer 8 or higher Mac: Safari 6.1 or higher
- Hard-Disk Space: 170 MB
- CD-ROM Drive: 2X CD-ROM drive
- Monitor: 1024x768, SVGA color monitor
- Printer: Compatible inkjet or laser
- Speakers and Sound Card: For videos/animations
- Internet Connection Required
H&R Block 2016 Deluxe + State Tax Software - Refund Bonus Offer
Homeowners / Investors
The right choice for investors, homeowners, and any customer with a more complex tax situation. Easily complete federal and state returns, with help every step of the way — including our Maximum Refund Guarantee and free unlimited expert tax advice, only from H&R Block.
H&R Block Deluxe + State Tax Software is designed for do-it-yourself customers who want to be in control of their tax preparation experience and feel empowered by completing their own return. They are educated and cost-conscious, want to get the biggest refund possible, and are comfortable e-filing. They often have more complex tax situations and are homeowners, investors, or both.
- Free In-person Audit Support — Only H&R Block helps customers prepare for an audit and provides a tax professional to represent them in person — for free(1).
- Free unlimited expert tax advice via online chat(2).
- Free Import of your W-2, 1099 and last year's return from H&R Block or TurboTax.
- Step-by-step Q&A easily guides customers through their return.
- Accuracy Review checks for any issues and audit risk(4).
- Itemize your deductions with Schedule A.
- Includes Affordable Care Act related tax forms, guidance and exemption applications.
- New Refund Reveal explains your refund amount in real time.
- Data Security–encryption technology safeguards your sensitive information while it is electronically sent to the IRS.
- Accurate Calculations Guarantee.
- Maximum Refund Guarantee(6).
- Five free federal e-files included(3); Plus 1 state program download (5). State e-file
For Homeowners/ Investors:
- Maximizes deductions for home mortgage interest and real estate taxes
- Advice on tax planning, home ownership, and retirement planning
- Extra help for accurate investment and dividend reporting
- In-depth assistance on stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
- Tax calculators to determine the approximate cost basis of investments and assets sold
Refund Bonus Offer
Terms & Conditions
- Amazon.com Gift Card offer is for federal refunds only.
- Limits apply ($2000 per e-card, maximum $5000 per customer).
- Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards (“GCs”) sold by H&R Block, an authorized and independent reseller of Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- Except as required by law, GCs cannot be transferred for value or redeemed for cash.
- GCs may be used only for purchases of eligible goods at Amazon.com or certain of its affiliated websites.
- For complete terms and conditions, see www.amazon.com/gc-legal.
- GCs are issued by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation. All Amazon symbols are IP of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. No expiration date or service fees.
- The promotion is valid for a limited time, from January 23, 2017 at 12am PST to July 31, 2017 at 11:59pm PST.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold and shipped by Amazon.com.
- If you violate any of the Terms & Conditions, the promotion will be invalid.
- Void where prohibited.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted and free promotional items.
You must accept our license agreement (www.hrblock.com/license) to install and use this product. Otherwise, you should immediately return the unopened software for a refund. Not for use by paid preparers.
(1) You can ask our tax advisors unlimited questions at no extra cost during regular chat hours.
(2) Free in-person audit representation is available only for clients who purchase and use H&R Block Tax Software to prepare and file their 2016 individual income tax return. Terms and restrictions apply; see www.hrblock.com for details.
(3) The audit risk assessment is not a guarantee you will not be audited.
(4) Additional state programs are extra. Most state programs available in January; release dates vary by state.
(5) State e-file not available in NH.
2016 HRB Digital LLC. All rights reserved. H&R Block DeductionPro and H&R Block are registered trademarks of HRB Innovations, Inc. TurboTax and Quicken are registered trademarks of Intuit, Inc. For sale by authorized resellers only.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The feature I miss most is the “Compare to Prior Year” report (which was deleted about four years ago when HRB changed name of their tax software from Tax Cut to HRB at Home. This was a handy way to see if you missed anything from prior year or why your “estimate” this year was off. I sure wish they’d bring it back.
The other factor I want to alert you to (as it applies to both HRB and Turbo Tax) is the state tax program. If you live and work in the same state or there is NO STATE Income Tax in either your home or work stare, you can skip this comment. However if you have the above situation (or have rental real estate in other than your home state), you will need TWO State tax programs. HRB gives you ONE state included in the program package. EACH additional state module – which you can only buy and download from HRB – costs $39.95 plus tax. Since the Deluxe + State shouldn’t cost you more than $34.95 (probably less) you are paying more for that second (or God forbi9d third state) than for your original Fed + State return. This is very common issue for those living in NY, NJ, PA, and CT. I wish that HRB would offer a “ Deluxe + StateS” for maybe $10-$15 more and allow up to – say – three states. But, since – like airlines – they can make more by charging for each addition “extra” – they probably won’t
One other thing. – With the deluxe you get up to 5 free Federal e-files. But you get NO free State e-filing. That costs about another $15.00. This is really annoying. But know the cost going in.
So I would give the software five stars but am withholding one star because of the high cost of extra state modules and lack of the simple “compare with last year” report.
UPDATE for those using the Pennsylvania Program to file your taxes: I just realized that - for the secobnd year in a row - The software is printing the WRONG dates on the PA 40 ESTIMATED coupons. It is using the 2016 dates instead of the 2017 dates which are 4/17/17, 6/15/17.9/15/17 and 1/16/18 . They made same error last year!
I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.
Steve Ramm CPA
I always do my preliminary tax prep at the end of year before the final version is ready, and have not had any any issues other than not having the final version of the software. This year's software seem to have a few more glitches.
(1) Some information on the screen is rendered in a very small font and is hard to read, however most of text is okay.
(Update: this problem has been corrected in an update)
(2) Initially I had issues importing previous year tax data, but I was able to resolve this problem after I saved this year's empty return and then used a menu choice "File - Import Last Year's Tax Data".
(3) I found it confusing that on the first page after install it had two references to activation codes. Each reference used a different terminology. The first activation code was to unlock the H&R Block software, the second activation code was to unlock 5 free filing. It was not clear to be if this was redundant information using different terminology or if I will actually need this information later when I am ready to file. I saved a screen shot in case I ever need this information but since I am not ready to file I will not known the answer until a few months down the road.
* If you are using a digital download you will need an activation code to install the software. The activation code can be located in several ways.
Option 1: The activation code is included in the message I received from Amazon with the subject line 'Your Amazon.com order of "H&R Block Tax software"'
Option 2: You can locate activation code in your Amazon account:
1) Log into Amazon
2) Select 'Your account' and scroll to the section called 'Digital Content'
3) Select 'Your Games and Software downloads'
4) Then under H&R software entry you will see activation code listed under H&R Block title
* If you have a virus scanner it will generate an alert the first time you run the program, change the permission to "Permit Always" otherwise the program will be blocked.
* Does H&R allow to install the software on two PCs?
No. The license agreement that one needs to accept during the install says this:
"At no time you cab have the Software installed on more than one computer. You may copy the Software for backup and archival purposes only."
* WHAT IS INCLUDED
I purchased H&R Block Deluxe plus State. This version entitles me to 5 free federal e-files. I do tax returns for an elderly relative so I use a couple of them. Note that there is no limit on how many returns can be printed on paper, so you can print and mail more than 5 return if desired.
The rights to install one state software is included in the package but the package does NOT include free e-file for the state return (see exceptions below). If you want to e-file your state return you will need to pay a fee of $19.95 to e-file each state return. Alternatively, you can print all the forms and mail them using US post office without any additional fees. If you need to file taxes for more then one state, then you need to purchase additional states. Each additional state is $39.95 plus $19.95 e-file fee.
Note 1: NY state residents can e-file state returns for free
Note 2: It is not possible to e-file a state return for New Hampshire, the NH returns have to be mailed.
* The state forms are not available as of 11/20/2016 as I write this review. H&R web site says they will become available in January. To see the latest status you can go to H&R website, click on "Download software", and select "State Editions". Currently it says "Coming soon in January 2017". When the state forms became available the state software can be downloaded directly from the H&R Block software installed on your PC.
Here are my other observation after finishing my preliminary return. Note: the forms are not final until January of 2017. Overall it worked as expected, my comments are on low lights and high lights of my experience.
* H&R Block starts the interview process with an annoying up-sell pitch, recommending an upgrade from Deluxe to Premium even when it is not necessary. In my opinion, they should have determined if the person would truly benefit from the Premium version first. That would have been useful. As it stands now it is just annoying.
What is the difference between Premium and Deluxe? The Premium version offers advanced tools for self-employed and rental property owners: cost basis of home sales, dividends, gifts, and inheritance assets. It has advanced schedule C guidance to maximize deductions for self-employment income. And finally it has guidance for rental property income and expenses. The rest of the Premium package is the same as Deluxe.
Note that the Deluxe package has support for self-employed income as well as stock sale cost basis calculations.
* I do not like that the Help is not context sensitive. For example, they requested my mobile phone number this year. Next to this request there is a link "How is this information used." I clicked on it and it just put me into the top index of H&R help. I was not able to find a relevant help segment. Maybe I did not think of the right keywords. The help should have put on the specific text in help that explained how the mobile number would be used. This is typical, none of the Help is context sensitive and I rarely find anything useful there. If I need help I search the internet and I find better answers to my questions.
* H&R Block provided me some guidance for completing Form 1116 (foreign tax credit, for example foreign tax paid by a mutual fund). However, I needed to keep switching between the whole-form view to enter data and then back to interview to read the instructions. Even though the form where you can enter data is visible at the same time as instructions you cannot enter data into it until you switch into whole-form view. This is cumbersome, but at least there is some guidance for this form.
* I like DeductionPro which helps suggests reasonable prices based on condition of the donated used clothing items. It is nice not to have to come up with what is reasonable on my own.
* At the end of the interview process there is a check step (which you can run at any time, but the interview ends with this check). This step flags problems (e.g. missing information) and potential audit alerts (e.g. unusual deductions), and reminders (e.g. things you marked tentative). I find this check step very helpful.
* The final tax return can be saved in a .PDF format for future reference. I always do that so I can re-print an old return without having to run an old copy of H&R Block (especially down the road when a new computer may not even have an old H&R Block installed).
* H&R Block can print forms when Ethernet connection is disconnected. In 2014 TurboTax's introduced a requirement that the data had to be sent to Intuit's servers to be formatted for printing. H&R Block does not have this requirement.
* Does H&R has the ability to import TurboTax data from previous years?
Yes. TurboTax files have a .tax extension. Use the Browse button within H&R Block application to navigate to the folder you need and it will import the data from TT return.
* If you owe taxes there are three options for payment: electronic withdrawal from your bank, mailing a check and paying by credit card from a secure web site. Is there a charge to pay by credit card? Yes. There are three web sites that do this service and the fees vary from the lowest of $2.50 flat fee for a debit card to highest of 2.25% fee by credit card from one of the web sites. If you search for "pay taxes by credit or debit" you will see the detailed fee schedule on the irs.gov web site.
The price on this package changes often and you can catch some great discounts. I use a nice tool that shows history of Amazon prices. If you enter "Amazon price history alert" in Google it will come up at the top, my favorite has the word "camel" (repeated 3 times) in the name. You can set up the tool to send you an alert when you desired price drop is reached. During the last tax year season the price fluctuated between $20 and the list price of $44.99, dipping below $30 a number of times. It also qualifies for digital credits for No-rush Prime shipping (but it appears that if you use the digital no-rush credits even for a portion of the full price Amazon removes the Verified purchase stamp treating them as Gift Certificates).
Also note that Amazon adds the State sales tax to the final price of H&R Block (in states where it has physical presences such as Massachusetts).
I am a little less happy with this version of H&R Block than in prior years, but overall no major road blocks. I will update this review if I find new issues or new kudos. If you have a question I have not covered leave a comment and I will do my best to answer it.
Ali Julia review
I have always found the H&R Block software to be a bargain relative to TurboTax; it is significantly less expensive and easily does everything I need it to do. The included Deduction-Pro makes a breeze out of calculating the value of clothing and other charitable giving throughout the year. The step-by-step guide is a breeze. While I have no idea if there has been significant enhancements or degradation to functionality compared with prior versions, the opening screens appear quite familiar and I have no doubt I will be as happy as I've been in the past.
Some early reviews have complained about font size/rendering on Windows-10 computers. Indeed, when I first opened the software the screen was tiny; but after a quick update, everything is fine. Readers should be aware that issues such as these are generally not with Windows-10; rather they are with the ultra-high resolution in some of the newer laptops and monitors. If, after an update, you find the screen still a bit small to read (I did not), you can make a temporary adjustment to your monitor settings which will increase the size of the fonts and windows. Therefore, you should not let this concern be a barrier to using this highly intuitive software.
Update Feb 7 2017: I've completed my taxes, and my daughter completed hers and her husband's taxes using this software. As I suggested in my original post, the software is highly intuitive, very simple to use, and behaves just like it's done in previous years. No issues with rendering or resolution. Highly recommended.
Most recent customer reviews
They had all the forms I needed but it took longer to fill out because its not visually easy to look at.Read more