H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2017 + Refund Bonus Offer
- Unlimited real time chat with a tax expert
- Maximize mortgage interest and charitable deductions
- Sale of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
Refund Bonus Offer
When Deluxe Tax Software is purchased and used for preparation and filing, and the consumer opts to put their refund on an Amazon gift card, they will receive a 5% Bonus. See Amazon.com for offer details.
Unlimited Expert Advice (1)
Our tax pros are standing by to answer every question and help you get every credit and deduction to which you’re entitled.
In-Person Audit Representation (2)
Thankfully, audits are rare. If one does happen, we’ll be there to guide you every step of the way.
Maximum Refund Guarantee
Nobody gets you more money than H&R Block, guaranteed. We work hard to find every deduction and credit for which you qualify, so you can get your maximum refund.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System: Windows Vista/ 7 / 8.1 / 10 Mac OS X 10.7 or higher.
- Monitor: 1024x768, SVGA color monitor.
- Printer: Compatible inkjet or laser.
- Speakers and Sound Card: For videos / animations.
- Internet Connection Required: For updates, state download e-file, important notifications.
- Browser: Windows: Internet Explorer 9 or higher Mac: Safari 6.1 or higher.
- Hard Disk Space: 170 MB.
- CD-ROM drive: 2X CD-ROM drive.
H&R Block Deluxe + State Tax Software 2017 + Refund Bonus Offer
Homeowners / Investors
Designed for do-it-yourself customers who want to be in control of their tax preparation experience and feel empowered by completing their own return. They are educated and cost-conscious, want to get the biggest refund possible, and are comfortable e-filing. They are often homeowners, investors, or both.
H&R Block Deluxe Tax Software offers everything homeowners and investors need to easily complete federal and state taxes, including step-by-step guidance and FREE tax advice via online chat.
- Step-by-step Q&A and guidance on more than 350 credits and deductions
- Quickly import your W-2, 1099, 1098, and last year’s tax return
- Easily import from TurboTax and Quicken software
- Itemize deductions with Schedule A
- Accuracy Review™ checks for issues and assesses your audit risk (3)
- Five free federal e-files and unlimited federal preparation and printing
- Reporting assistance on income from investments, stock options, home sales, and retirement
- Guidance on maximizing mortgage interest and real estate tax deductions
- H&R Block DeductionPro values and optimizes charitable donations
- One state program download included — a $39.95 value (4) (State e-file available for $19.95 per return)(5)
Refund Bonus Offer
Terms and Conditions
- Amazon.com Gift Card offer is for federal refunds only.
- Limits apply ($2000 per e-card, maximum $5000 per customer).
- Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards (“GCs”) sold by H&R Block, an authorized and independent reseller of Amazon.com Gift Cards.
- Except as required by law, GCs cannot be transferred for value or redeemed for cash.
- GCs may be used only for purchases of eligible goods at Amazon.com or certain of its affiliated websites.
- For complete terms and conditions, see www.amazon.com/gc-legal.
- GCs are issued by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation. All Amazon symbols are IP of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. No expiration date or service fees.
- The promotion is valid for a limited time, from January 23, 2018 at 12am PST to July 31, 2018 at 11:59pm PST.
- Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.
- Offer only applies to products sold and shipped by Amazon.com.
- If you violate any of the Terms & Conditions, the promotion will be invalid.
- Void where prohibited.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted and free promotional items.
* Deluxe Tax Software is offered in two versions – Federal plus State, and Federal only.
You must accept our license agreement to install and use this product. Otherwise, you should immediately return the unopened software for a refund. Not for use by paid preparers.
- (1) Individual returns only. You can ask our tax advisors unlimited questions at no extra cost during regular chat hours.
- 2) Free audit support is available only for clients who purchase and use H&R Block Tax Software to prepare and file their 2017 individual income tax return. Terms and restrictions apply; see www.hrblock.com for details.
- (3) The audit risk assessment (of your personal return) is not a guarantee you will not be audited.
- (4) Additional personal state programs are extra. Most personal state programs available in January; release dates vary by state.
- (5) State e-file not available in NH.
- 2017 HRB Digital LLC. All rights reserved. H&R Block DeductionPro and H&R Block are registered trademarks of HRB Innovations, Inc. TurboTax and Quicken are registered trademarks of Intuit, Inc. For sale by authorized resellers only.
Guidance for all your personal tax situations. Federal forms. Step-by-step interviews guide you through a customized experience relevant to your tax situation.
Platform: PC Disc | Edition: Deluxe + State
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I just completed my preliminary tax return and here are my observations.
* If you are using a digital download you will need an activation code to install the software.
The activation code is shown in Amazon email with the subject line "Your Amazon.com order of "H&R Block Tax Software Del...". If you don't see it there you can also get it from Amazon Software downloads. To locate it you need to do this:
1) Log into Amazon
2) Select 'Your account' and the section called 'Digital Content'
3) Select 'Your Games and Software downloads'
4) Then under H&R software entry you will see activation code
* Does H&R allow to install the software on two PCs?
No. The license agreement that one needs to accept during the install says this:
"Software copies. You may only install and use the Software on one computer. You may copy the Software for backup and archival purposes only, as long as the original and each copy are kept in your possession and control."
* WHAT IS INCLUDED
Using tax software includes two fees - one to use the software and the second one to e-file the returns with IRS. This package includes the cost of using both the Federal tax return and State return for one state. If you need to file tax in two states, you will need to purchase the rights to use the second state software. The package also include the cost of 5 free Federal e-files, but does NOT include the cost of e-file for the state return. Note that there is no limit on how many returns can be printed on paper for either Federal or State return, so you can print and mail any number of returns you desire.
Note 1: New York State law prohibits additional charges for State e-file (NY residents still have to pay for using the software).
Note 2: It is not possible to e-file a state return for New Hampshire, the NH returns have to be mailed.
* The state forms are not available as I write this review. H&R web site says they will become available in January. To see the latest status you can go to H&R website, click on "Download software", and select "State Editions". Currently it says "Coming soon in January 2018". When the state forms became available the state software can be downloaded directly from the H&R Block from the first screen of state tax preparation.
* In the past the interview started with a create that immediately prompted you to start a new return via a button on the screen, this year I had to 'File - Create New Return' to see the button to get started.
* This year there is an option to import old data not only from a data file but the a PDF file of 2016 tax return.
* The current forms are preliminary, the final versions will be available January 5, 2018.
* H&R Block starts the interview process with an annoying up-sell pitch, recommending an upgrade from Deluxe to Premium even when it is not necessary. In my opinion, they should have determined if the person would truly benefit from the Premium version first. That would have been useful. As it stands now it is just annoying.
What is the difference between Premium and Deluxe? The Premium version offers advanced tools for self-employed and rental property owners: cost basis of home sales, dividends, gifts, and inheritance assets. It has advanced schedule C guidance to maximize deductions for self-employment income. And finally it has guidance for rental property income and expenses. The rest of the Premium package is the same as Deluxe.
Note that the Deluxe package has support for self-employed income as well as stock sale cost basis calculations.
* This year I noticed an improvement in on-line help. In the past help was not context sensitive, it just brought up help dialog and it was up to you to think of the right keywords and find help. This year it actually opens up the right section of help! After so many years I lost hope that it will ever become context sensitive - I was pleasantly surprised!
* To combat stolen-identity tax returns H&R Block now requires you to provide state-issued ID number.
* H&R Block provided me some guidance for completing Form 1116 (foreign tax credit, for example foreign tax paid by a mutual fund). However, I needed to keep switching between the whole-form view to enter data and then back to interview to read the instructions. Even though the form where you can enter data is visible at the same time as instructions you cannot enter data into it until you switch into whole-form view. This is cumbersome, but at least there is some guidance for this form.
* I like DeductionPro which helps suggests reasonable prices based on condition of the donated used clothing items. It is nice not to have to come up with what is reasonable on my own.
* At the end of the interview process there is a check step (which you can run at any time, but the interview ends with this check). This step flags problems (e.g. missing information) and potential audit alerts (e.g. unusual deductions), and reminders (e.g. things you marked tentative). I find this check step very helpful.
* The final tax return can be saved in a .PDF format for future reference. I always do that so I can re-print an old return without having to run an old copy of H&R Block (especially down the road when a new computer may not even have an old H&R Block installed).
* H&R Block can print forms when Ethernet connection is disconnected. In 2014 TurboTax's introduced a requirement that the data had to be sent to Intuit's servers to be formatted for printing. H&R Block does not have this requirement.
* Does H&R has the ability to import TurboTax data from previous years?
Yes. TurboTax files have a .tax extension. Use the Browse button within H&R Block application to navigate to the folder you need and it will import the data from TT return. In addition this year you can also import pdf file of your return no matter what software you used to save the old return.
* If you owe taxes there are three options for payment: electronic withdrawal from your bank, mailing a check and paying by credit card from a secure web site. Is there a charge to pay by credit card? Yes. There are several web sites that provide this service with a "convenience" fee (lowest fee is $2.25 flat fee for a debit card and 1.87% fee for a credit card). If you search for "pay taxes by credit or debit" you will see the detailed fee schedule on the irs.gov web site.
The price on H&R Block package changes often and you can catch some great discounts. I got H&R Block on Black Friday sale. If you missed that sale you can still get bargains by using a tool that alerts on Amazon prices discounts for any product. If you enter "Amazon price history alert" in Google it will come up at the top, my favorite has the word "camel" (repeated 3 times) in the name. You can set it up to send you an alert when you desired price drop is reached. During the last tax year season the price fluctuated between $20 and the list price of $44.99, dipping below $30 a number of times. It also qualifies for digital credits for No-rush Prime shipping.
Also note that Amazon adds the State sales tax to the final price of H&R Block (in states where it has physical presences such as Massachusetts).
Unlike last year, I did not run into any glitches during installation or using the software. The biggest difference in this year's return preparation was the improvements to on-line help. Making it context sensitive made it useful, in the past I used to do internet searches when I needed to get an answer. This year I actually used on-line help! If you have a question I have not covered leave a comment and I will do my best to answer it.
Ali Julia review
The feature I miss most is the “Compare to Prior Year” report (which was deleted about four years ago when HRB changed name of their tax software from Tax Cut to HRB at Home. This was a handy way to see if you missed anything from prior year or why your “estimate” this year was off. I sure wish they’d bring it back.
The other factor I want to alert you to (as it applies to both HRB and Turbo Tax) is the state tax program. If you live and work in the same state or there is NO STATE Income Tax in either your home or work stare, you can skip this comment. However if you have the above situation (or have rental real estate in other than your home state), you will need TWO State tax programs. HRB gives you ONE state included in the program package. EACH additional state module – which you can only buy and download from HRB – costs $39.95 plus tax. Since the Deluxe + State shouldn’t cost you more than $34.95 (probably less) you are paying more for that second (or God forbi9d third state) than for your original Fed + State return. This is very common issue for those living in NY, NJ, PA, and CT. I wish that HRB would offer a “ Deluxe + StateS” for maybe $10-$15 more and allow up to – say – three states. But, since – like airlines – they can make more by charging for each addition “extra” – they probably won’t
One other thing. – With the deluxe you get up to 5 free Federal e-files. But you get NO free State e-filing. That costs about another $15.00. This is really annoying. But know the cost going in.
And, you should know that HRB does not support State Returns for some states that have State Income Taxes. I think Vermont is one of these. So BEFORE buying the software, make sure your home state is covered.
And even if it is supported, it is not always correct. For the last two years the due date on the Estimated coupons for the Pennsylvania Tax, had the wrong date and year. I even called HRB but it was too late to change. The forms are not ready yet as I post this review, but I'll check it. Last year they sent me a refund for the state module.
So I would give the software five stars but am withholding one star because of the high cost of extra state modules and lack of the simple “compare with last year” report.
I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.
Steve Ramm CPA