Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 149 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 339 reviews
I've used TaxCut every year since 1995. Several times when I saw a promotional deal I purchased both TaxCut and TurboTax to compare. I found that TurboTax did not do anything better than TaxCut while costing consistently more.

TaxCut software also wins if compared to the free on-line options. I don't like using the on-line tax programs for two reasons (1) I don't want my financial data to be on someone's web site (2) free offers include the Federal tax only.

H&R Block tax software does a good job despite having a few flaws, my two pain complaints:

1. Some forms (such foreign tax credit over the limit to be directly on 1040) require entering data manually. For some reason the software does not do this form automatically. This form is not that hard to do manually as this form does not change year to year.

2. Copy and Paste from Interview screens is not possible. Sometimes I wish to do it for some issue as a reminder to myself. My solution is to do PrintScreen (holding ctl key, shift key, and printscreen key at the same time). This generates an image of the screen, which I paste into paint or photo editing sofware which I can print or save for later.

In addition to tax software, the package includes DeductionPro software. I find it helpful in organizing and valuating charity donations, such as clothing and household items.

However, despite a few flaws I still recommend this software package. The interview process is helpful in reminding you things you might have forgotten. On-line help is useful. Despite a few annoyances, it does a good job.
on March 31, 2009
This program worked very well for getting our taxes done. I have used Turbo Tax in the past and this program imported my old data seamlessly. I was worried about using a program this year as we bought a house, but it had all the new house credits built in. It would have gotten 5 stars, but it was a bit lacking in the state category. In MN, there is a form (M1PR) to fill out with your property taxes and rental expenditures, and the program had no reference to this form nor was it in the programs database. From my understanding, this form is different than traditional income tax but it would be nice to have implemented in the program somehow.
on April 5, 2009
With one exception during the past dozen years, I've used TurboTax to do my federal and state tax returns. This year (2008 return), TurboTax changed its policies, effectively doubling the cost of what their software did on my 2007 return. So I decided to give TaxCut a try. The long and short of it is that I was most pleased and will plan to use TaxCut again next year.

About me: I am a freelance writer in Washington, DC. I have a chronic horror of tax time, because I can never find my way through the Byzantine labyrinth of tax forms and rules and regulations. I use tax-prep software, with their interview method, to avoid those horrors. Even TurboTax has occasionally carried me off into tall weeds. In those cases, I just make a wild guess at what to do, click an answer, and move on -- and probably pay a price, but who knows? I was pleasantly surprised at how simple TaxCut's interview was. I kept expecting little detours into the tall weeds, but they never came. For the first time, I e-filed my federal return (a freebie with TaxCut Premium), and it went through like a dream.

The only problem I encountered was when I tried to save my return as a PDF file. TaxCut just couldn't carry through. It tried to install some kind of PDF utility, but the install wouldn't work. I tried phoning their tech support, but they couldn't help. This, however, was a minor disappointment. Having a PDF copy of my return would have been a mere convenience. It was no trouble to print out a copy and file that for reference. I'll gladly try TaxCut again next year.
on February 4, 2009
Taxcut is easy to use and this is the third year in a row that I'm going with it. HOWEVER, there is a serious calculation error in the program that is either going to result in a) thousands of IRS audits for Taxcut users, or b) a class-action lawsuit based on Taxcut's "accuracy guarantee."
I called Taxcut customer service, and while the operator was friendly, neither she nor her manager seemed much interested in fixing the problem. So hopefully someone will read about it here and follow up on it.

In the credits section of the federal return, Taxcut is granting tax credits for hybrid and alternative vehicles that no longer are allowed by the IRS. The tax credits began to phase out in late 2006, but Taxcut thinks they began to phase out in late 2007. That's a big problem. I bought a 2008 Toyota Prius on March 20, 2008, and so I selected the date range October 1, 2007 through March 31, 2008. TaxCut then gave me a $1,575 tax credit for the purchase. BUT, the date range for that $1,575 tax credit is ACTUALLY October 1, 2006 through March 31, 2007! Buying the Prius in March of 2008 should actually give me a $0 tax credit according to the IRS. Checking the other date ranges, I confirmed that TaxCut gets them all wrong, too.

Needless to say, given the unprecedented amount of Americans who bought hybrids during the gas crisis in the summer of 2008, TaxCut is going to be telling a lot of people they are going to be getting a sizable tax credit from the IRS for those purchases.

It was surely an honest mistake on the programmers' part, but for H&R Block's sake, I hope they fix this error and quickly.
on February 8, 2009
Like many others who are disappointed in the price increase for TurboTax I switched to TaxCut.
However right off the bat when I went to review and import my last year's data from TurboTax I ran into a problem.
I didn't go through everything that was imported but just the first items I was working . It imported 3 copies of worksheets that had partial or no data on them where only one sheet would have been correct. It also imported incorrect values or rental income. First showing it as a loss and later as I was working on current forms I noticed it had changed the value to a gain but still not the correct value.
That plus the crude way the forms are formatted and the lack of links to jump from one worksheet etc. to another has forced me to change my mind once again and return to TurboTax that has served me well for the last 12 years. (better the devil you know.....)
I called the Help line to ask them about the problem but after waiting for ten minutes the person to come back with an answer only to have her tell me I would have to enter the values manually was the icing on the cake.
I just can't take the risk of completing my taxes only to find that the calculations are wrong, I just don't have any confidence in TaxCut now.
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2009
I've used H&R Block's TaxCut program for Windows, each year for the past 5 years (or more). I've also run both TurboTax and TaxCut during a few years to see if the "help" was better in one or the other (when I was trying to figure out how to answer a question). Plugging numbers into these programs is not hard. Determining what numbers to plug in can still be hard.

My experience is that the built-in help behind the questions for the Federal forms is usually OK. In the unusual areas, I am surprised at how weak the help is - it's there, but not deep. However, the help behind the State forms is not good - it's shallow at best.

The math in these programs is always right (usually... I did find a bug one year that they quickly fixed in an update), but again, the burden is on you the user to determine what numbers to plug in or when to say "yes" or "no" during the online interview that these take you through. In many cases, it's not hard. But in those hard(er) areas, it can take hours researching what is really being asked. I've found myself downloading IRS forms and instructions most years to figure out at least one question, and I would not say that my tax returns are all that complicated (I don't have a lot of the odd situations to report).

Getting 5 Federal filings with the price of the full package this year was nice, but paying $19.99 to efile a State Form still feels ridiculously too much. And in some cases, the Forms needed to file an odd-Sate return need to be paper (they aren't all included with TaxCut), so efile does not work in those situations. I file 3 sets of forms each year (mine and for 2 of my kids) and this year, the cost or complexities with the kids' State forms will mean paper filing for both of their State returns.

I have not contacted H&R Block for help, so I can't comment on the waiting times to get that help or on the depth of help provided over the phone or over chat (however they do it).

But all of this is still a lot easier (and fun? at least it's a challenge to overcome) for the do-it-yourself type person, than the old paper forms or in taking all the papers to their office and paying them to do it (my opinion).
on March 2, 2009
I've used TaxCut maybe four or five years. There was one year where they just dropped Mac OS. I dropped them and used Turbo Tax. Went back to TaxCut as I file Schedule C. Turbo Tax wouldn't include Schedule C for less than $85, their deluxe version. TaxCut half that price. Both apps have flaws. Often find they put amounts in wrong places (self employed health insurance on Sch A Med deduction and on 1040 self employed health insurace premiums - sorry, one or the other, not both).
For a synopsis - read what I'm sending to online CHAT at TaxCut website.
buggy software. Help becomes inaccessible. Msg is "Help setup will be complete momentarily." This happens frequently. I just opened the software tonight after three days of not using it and got that msg again. The workaround (from a good customer support person) is to throw away the Help file in App Support (Mac OS 10.5.6) and reinstall software. I don't mind doing it once, but now I'm having to do it at least six times, almost every time I use the software.
#2 - had an issue with Vehicle Worksheet failing to add all amounts properly. Spun my wheels with a not so good customer support person who asked really dumb and basic questions. Said he would pass my case along to someone else in Tech Support and they would contact me. Its been at least five "business" days. Since you're 24/7, its 7 days for sure. No contact whatsoever. Same thing happened last year, no follow up.
The latter especially reflects poorly on TaxCut. And if I use your online Chat help, I might get a good, intelligent helper or I'm just pissing in the wind for 45 minutes with Bozo.

Like I said, both apps have flaws and seem to be only ones available for Mac OS - better than having no software at all but very frustrating nonetheless.
on December 30, 2008
I switched to Taxcut this year after the deceitful pricing for Intuit's TurboTax. I had used TurboTax since 1997, so I was a bit nervous about making the switch, especially after having tried Taxcut in 2004 and finding its import of TurboTax files to be poor. But Intuit's scammy behavior was too offensive for me to remain a customer.

The good news is that Taxcut works just fine, importing my TurboTax files and providing a clean, easy interview interface (TurboTax's has gotten too complex, so I switched to using the forms mode instead a couple years back). The forms are fine, too, though I do wish you could have the forms and interview running in parallel in Taxcut as you can in TurboTax -- that's helpful during final review. (Taxcut can display both, but you have to switch to forms-only mode to add or change entries in the form.) I also wish I could increase the forms' type size, but TurboTax can't do that either.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that Taxcut does the job well, so if you're a long-time TurboTax user like me, don't bne afraid to switch.
on February 7, 2009
For trivial e-file returns, you should not need to buy software. If you do, TaxCut is easy to use.

For professional tax preparers and accountants who need to be familiar with the intricacies of AMT and other arcane domains of the tax code, and for those who employ them, the other brand is better.

For the rest of us, TaxCut is easier to navigate, less prone to omission, and has been cheaper if you include one state return. On the other hand, it pays to check any obscure form that results because I have twice found errors, both slightly additive to taxes and neither worth the effort or expense of using other software or paying someone else. If you don't understand whether something should be added or subtracted, figure it out.

Two negatives:
1. TaxCut navigation gets worse every year. It used to be possible to go directly to a category like capital gains or rental income. Now you have to slosh through a series of Next buttons to get to anything.
2. How many years have they done this? They still can't print pages in reverse order.

All the major products want to sell their overpriced personal services. If you need that, you can probably find a local EA to do the whole job for about $100, maybe less, about the same as software + inferior distant personal service.
on April 20, 2009
This is the first time that I prepared our taxes, and I didn't have a hard time understanding what information was being asked of me. The step-by-step interview process worked for me, and I really appreciated having links to additional information whenever I wasn't sure about something.

This version allowed me to do itemized deductions with unreimbursed job expenses. You can also do home-office deductions if it applies to you.

This version comes with 5 free federal e-files (which was more than enough for us), but you have to pay for the state e-file, which was $19.95. Still, with the price I paid for the software, everything came to less than $60, which I think is a good deal.

If it's your first time with e-file, then you would have to enter your previous year's (2007) Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as the digital signature. This is where I had some problems. I had my previous year's AGI from my 2007 return, and even confirmed it by calling the IRS, but twice my return got rejected by the IRS. Finally just for the heck of it I tried entering a zero (from something I read) and it went through. Something to think about if you ever have problems with e-filing. This is with the IRS though, not with TaxCut, so still the 5 stars.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.