Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 286 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 308 reviews
on August 12, 2013
Our son received a John Deer dump truck with a few Megablocks as a starter kit and he was having so much fun learning to build, we decided to order some more. While the blocks are durable and he's enjoying the additional pieces, there are far too many of the smallest blocks.

Here's what my kit contained:
Bear in mind, there are two different height blocks; for this review, I will call them "regular" and "1/3 height" (meaning you'll need to stack 3 together to be the same size as a "regular" block.

1x1 block, regular height: 59
1x4 block, 1/3 height: 10
2x2 block, regular height: 2
2x2 block, 1/3 height: 10
2x2 slope front, reg. ht: 6

As you can see, there is a variety of blocks (and colors), but in order to build something really big/strong/tall, more of the 2x2 and 1x4 blocks would be essential.

Our son is only 16 months and certainly not at that stage yet, but if these blocks are labeled for up to 5 years old, I can see the potential for frustration as he gets older and wants to build more complex structures.

My wife thought I was a little crazy for tallying up all the different blocks for this review, but when I expressed my annoyance at the lack of bigger blocks, she agreed and said she wished there was a "foundations" kit of Megablocks that included many more of the bigger/longer/taller blocks.
0Comment| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 14, 2014
My 3 years old son is a little 'Bob the builder' he loves building houses, towers and castles. This set is exactly what he needs for all construction projects. We bought two sets and 160 pieces for $23.99 (as of march 2014) is a real bargain. Lego duplos cost at least 3-4 times. These blocks are very good to easily construct decent size buildings and they are easier to attach and detach compared to lego duplos and other similar items. However, after being abusively played for several months, some pieces may get loose and develop a tendency to fall apart easily. Additionally, although these are good for building constructions, projects that require more details may be made better with legos which allow more combinations. Yet, in my opinion it still deserves a 5 star for what it offers at this very bargain price and the zipper bag that comes with it is a bonus too...
on November 24, 2014
This worked well for my intent, which was not your typical use of building blocks (teaching spelling). The blocks fit easily together but don't fit as snug as legos, but for my purpose that's a good thing. I like their larger size and much more reasonable price. I wanted plain blocks of different sizes and colors and that is what this is. The building block companies have gotten away from their original purpose which was enhancing children's imaginations. They now have pre-shaped and pre-stamped blocks (like a monkey that fits on a block). I think this ruins the purpose of building blocks. It should be to create by using your imagination. Not put the already made monkey by the already made tree by the already made water. How sad that some block companies have dummied down building blocks! I highly recommend Mega Bloks for their ability to foster creativity.
on October 28, 2014
I never really purchased toys for my son until he was about 3 years old (that's how old he is now). We got enough hand-me-downs and gifts that I didn't feel it was necessary to add to what we had. Also, he was more likely to play with ordinary household objects than with toys, anyway. As he approached 3, though, there were a few toys that it became clear he would really, really enjoy having at home. A friend had passed along a bunch of regular Legos...the ones that are too tiny for a 3 year-old to manipulate very well. He played with them, nonetheless, mostly piling them up one by one on the Lego table that had also been handed down to him and giving them names relating to what part of the boat/building/car they were supposed to be. But I thought it would be fun for him to have something that he could actually build with. I debated whether we'd need a set as big as the 160-piece, but ultimately went with that one, and I'm very glad I did. To build a stable tower as tall or taller than he is, he uses most of the blocks in the set. He does need help to get a very stable tower going, but that's mostly just a matter of learning to not make them top-heavy. He has been loving playing with these, and I'm very glad I bought them! The bag is a very nice addition to the package, making clean-up and storage easy.
on October 20, 2015
The plastic is very light weight and bends even in a toddlers hands. The pieces do not fit snugly and can pivot quite a few degrees even when put together. This was particularly frustrating for our kid and us as we tried to get her to use them for building towers, etc. Was planning on giving it a one star... but, our kid decided to use it for learning counting... so we got a lot of use of these blocks for learning counting and colors and some vocabulary skills... for example. I would put a small pile of blocks with mixed colors and ask questions like - How many blue blocks are there in this pile?... etc. So, we did get good use of the blocks; but I am sure that cheaper alternatives are available. The 5 stars are for getting our kid interested in numbers.
on December 9, 2014
When I was a kid, all we had were the Lego blocks, and I think it is great that these Mega blocks were introduced for the younger kids who still might may tend to put things into their mouths. I bought these blocks for my 2 young grand children, and they are going to love them. And, there are so many blocks, they will not fuss over who has which blocks, plenty to go around. Toys like these Mega Blocks, are the type of toys that start to inspire the creativity in a young childs mind, and gets them to start thinking about what could be. Naturally, they will try to make these things, and this is one of the best thought process strengtheners that I can imagine. After all, that's what it is all about, isn't it, the imagination? Most toys are great for kids, and allow them to be who they marvel at and do the things that they admire others for doing, and that is wonderful, But these Mega Blocks can open a world of new ideas for the curious mind.
on September 20, 2014
I initially really loved this set! There are plenty of blocks in all different sizes, colorful and durable w/ a great zippered storage bag. But after playing blocks w/ my grandsons, I realize that Mega Blocks in general do not stick together very well. At ages, three and one, my grandsons just want to build towers and knock them down. They don't really get the logic of building a solid structure yet and after stacking a third or fourth level, the blocks just fall over and apart. They even have the CAT construction set w/ the crane and the weight of the crane arm makes it impossible to put it on a stack (or tower) of blocks. It just won't stay up.Legos fit together more snugly and therefore stay together. I'm going to try roughing up the posts of the Mega Blocks w/ sandpaper and see if they stay together better when not so smooth? We'll see.........
on January 28, 2016
My son loves these blocks. He got them for his first birthday and as he gets closer to two, he's becoming more and more interested in stacking them together, usually into huge towers. I like that the blocks are large enough that I don't have to worry about them being a choking hazard. The colors are bright and vibrant - good for encouraging color recognition. My only complaint is that some of the blocks don't connect very snugly, so the blocks slip apart easily, which is frustrating when my child is trying to build.
on December 22, 2013
Okay...I had this bag of Mega Bloks sitting in the living room when my 6-yr old niece visited. She was very distressed to be told that these were a gift for someone else and that she couldn't play with them. They were, instead of a gift for a youngster in the family, a gift for my mother and her friends residing in an Adult Family Home. The bloks are big enough for arthritic hands to grab; it keeps their hands moving and busy; they're colorful so they catch these 90+ year old's attention and, honestly, they're fun!

In fact, in case you haven't had any of these bloks sitting around your house waiting for the grandkids to visit, you'd notice that parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles all play with them...with or without the kids...it's just hard to resist seeing what you can build!
on June 17, 2017
Bought for Marine toys for tots Christmas toy drive. Looked great

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.