Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

Blonde on Blonde
Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 8, 2013
Being an audiophile I have delved into shallow end of Dylan's work for some time. I was constantly exposed to it after high school in the mid 80s thanks to some friends. Of course I was familiar with the "hits". I just wasn't sure I could listen to his voice over and over. For years he had taken a very low priority status with me. Meanwhile I developed an affinity for unique voices. Michael Stipe, Peter Garrett of Midnight Oil, Terry Taylor most notably from Daniel Amos, Bruce Cockburn, John Linell and John Flansburgh otherwise known as They Might Be Giants to name a few.

With his recent resurgence I began exploring his work through streaming outlets still wary about laying out money for him. I was enticed when this album went on sale for $2.99 recently so I broke down and bought it. It's easily the best money I've spent in a while.

There are many, many rave reviews about this album and deservedly so. The album is incredible.

The album is as old as I am. It was his breakout from the constraint of folk. Or is it the album that expanded the definition of what folk music was at the time? Track by track this album is a solid classic. Each track is done in a different style but each is still uniquely Dylan. His biting wit clearly evident on several tracks as are his more sensitive words.

In the time I have owned this album it has gained top shelf status with me.

If you're looking at starting a collection of his work I highly recommend starting here.
on January 30, 2014
Although I was aware of Bob Dylan for what seemed to be most of my adult life, is wasn't until my lovely wife introduced me to this musical genius. She convinced me to take her to see him "Live" at the UCF venue a couple of years ago, and I can say with confidence, that had to be the loudest concert I have ever attended, but despite the incredible volume, my ears were treated to a musical masterpiece. It was upbeat and held my attention during the entire concert and surprisingly, somehow, I knew nearly every song he performed.
From that night going forward, we followed his movements until magically, one day he announced a concert on my wife's birthday. The only problem we faced was that the concert was in Philadelphia, Pa. We reside in Orlando Florida, but I was not going to let a mere 1000 miles get in the way of my wife's happiness. We booked passage on the Amtrak, and I have to tell you it was probably one of the most magical trips we've ever taken and I will always remember it as such.
If it wasn't for my wife, I might have missed out on this living legend.
"Thank you my darling wife, for bringing Bob into our life."
on September 7, 2017
Perfect. Exactly as I remember from the original LP. Bob Dylan's truth has guided the Spartans through our time. He has also kept the coffin-lid from closing on many of us. Blonde on Blonde developed in his struggles and efforts to overcome some tragic time. God Speed.
The first time I heard "Everybody must get stoned," from "Rainy Day Women # 12 & # 35," I was at Lardano's Pizzeria in Peoria, Illinois, while attending Bradley University, having a pizza (what else?). And I thought it was a weird and nutty song. Later, as I aged, I came to see it as a great Bob Dylan song ("I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"). Just so, the album on which this song was located, "Blonde on Blonde." Then, I saw it as a rather strange album. Now? A classic! Part of a great run of Dylan albums, reflecting dramatic changes in his art, among which were "The Times They Are A-Changin'," "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," and "Highway 61 Revisited" (perhaps one of the five best rock and roll albums ever made??). And then comes "Blonde on Blonde."

Some of the songs--"Rainy Day Women # 12 & # 35," "Pledging My Times," "Visions of Johanna," "One of Us Must Know," "I Want You," "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues again," "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat," "Just Like a Woman," "Most Likely You Go Your Way and I Go Mine," "Temporary like Achilles," "Absolutely Sweet Marie," "4th Time Around," "Obviously 5 Believers," and "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands." Wow! What a lineup! These songs really cover a lot of territory and vary greatly.

Of course, there is the jangly, effervescent "Rainy Day Women. . . ." Boy, did this grow on me. One lesson: They stone you all the time! "Visions of Johanna" is an elegiac song, poignant, very different from "Rainy Day Women. . . ." "One of Us Must Know" and "I Want You" are very personal songs, filled with emotion. One of my personal favorites from this work, "Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat" is a wicked pleasure! It is sung with a smile (at least that's my sense) and is most witty. Listen to this and enjoy!

"Just like a Woman" is another sensitively sung and poignant tune. "Most Likely You Go Your Way and I Go Mine" is a song that many couples must resonate to, as things go sour. The album closes out with the wonderful "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands."

This is a great work of rock and roll. Dylan's best? I don't think so. But pretty doggone good indeed!
55 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2013
After enjoying reviewing Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson VH1 Storytellers yesterday ****, thought it would be fun to review one of Bob Dylan's seminal records "Blonde on Blonde." This is an album that has grown on me. (Stars are iTunes for the songs from 1-5, and plays on iTunes). I have had this album for a while. But I usually listen to tracks off it randomly not the album as a whole, so this will be fun.

1. Rainy Day Women #12 & #35 -- The carnival rambunctiousness of everybody get stoned, as it's often known. So don't feel so alone, every.. body must get stoned. **** (18)

2. Pledging My Time -- Not a song I know as well. Weaker track on this excellent album. *** (2)

3. Visions of Johanna -- One of Dylan's more underrated songs. Captures the wonderful, surreal spirit of this album. And a beautiful rhythm. I really love Bob Dylan's voice. This song just makes me happy. **** (15)

4. One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later) -- Another track I don't know as well on this album. Doesn't come together like many of the anthemic tracks on this album, but a nice song. *** (2)

5. I Want You -- Guitar with harmonica works as a song. I just love the playfulness of Dylan's voice on this song. And "I want you, I want you, I want you, so bad" sounds like a trite line, but totally works. Wonderful song. **** (23)

6. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again -- A song I don't listen to enough. Has all of the storytelling, surrealism and fun of this album. Oh momma, is this really be the end. Reminds me of one of my favorite Dylan songs "Ballad of a Thin Man." Just got added to my "Awesome Sauce" playlist. **** (2)

7. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat -- Always happy to hear this song. One that I love to sing to. Maybe I should do this for karoeke. Easily one of my favorite all-time songs. Playful surrealism again. I don't mind him cheating on me, but I'd sure wish he'd take that off his head, you brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat. ***** (29)

8. Just Like a Woman -- Absolutely a signature song. And one of the most heartfelt on this often wonderfully silly record. Just makes me happy. She just aches just a like a woman, but she breaks just like a little girl. ***** (31)

9. Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) -- A lot of long titles on this album. Back to the silly, surreal songs. Doesn't come through for me like some of my favorite tracks on this record. *** (3)

10. Temporary Like Achilles -- A nice song. Still a good track, but on "Blonde on Blonde" it seems pedestrian. *** (4)

11. Absolutely Sweet Marie -- The playfulness and great melody is back. After two songs that don't quite reach the level of the best of this album. Wonderful. But to live outside the law, you must be honest. **** (25)

12. 4th Time Around -- Very pretty opening. Vocal is a little muddy behind the instrumental on this one. This probably could have used more takes. Good song that could be better. You do in to the melody as it goes on. *** (5)

13. Obviously 5 Believers -- Kind of a crazy start, very brassy. Doesn't flow as well as the best tracks of the album. To me this is an album that you can listen to in pieces. *** (5)

14. Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands -- Dylan is good at the long, storytelling song. Effermal and a perfect ending. It's a really lovely song. Bob Dylan is a master at the harmonica. **** (5)

This is a great album, one of the best I own. Just fantastic. There is a reason Bob Dylan is my all time 2nd favorite music performer to Johnny Cash. So many great songs on this record in ranking order (4 stars plus): Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat, Just Like a Woman, Visions of Johanna, Absolutely Sweet Marie, I Want You, Rainy Day Women #12 & 35, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again. 8 of 14 songs on an album being 4 star plus and 2 being 5 stars is extremely rare for me, great and amazing album.
on June 26, 2016
This has to be in the top three although in saying that I also must add that Bob has at least 7 or 8 five star albums so add this to the very long list of master works. Flows incredible for a double album with no weak tracks. Rainy Day Women is probably my favorite Dylan tune. I especially love how it seems to offend straight people! LOL the new Sundazed mono vinyl sounds fantastic! For me maybe Highway 61 is number one with Bringing It All Back Home and Blonde On Blonde not far behind. All time great no doubt about it!
on September 7, 2017
Haven't listened to this album in over thirty years. "Everyone Must Get Stoned" brings it all back home! Sit back and enjoy. With or without leaf.
on June 1, 2017
Perfect
on April 25, 2017
Great album.
on September 2, 2017
Great CD. My daughter listens to it a lot.