Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 347 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 577 reviews
on August 14, 2017
Finding this book was like finding a bright shiny new good luck penny in the street. Wonderful writing and brutally honest with an eye opening look at the inner workings of a restaurant. Having said all of that, it appears that Chef Hamilton is totally committed to her small, regimented world and needs to expand her horizons to outside interests; perhaps that would help her not appear so lost.
on July 5, 2017
Wonderful recollections of a cooks life. Very vivid pictures created that any passionate human would appreciate. Loved this telling and cannot wait to read another of her stories.
~ Enjoy
on December 26, 2016
I love good food, am somewhat familiar with the northeast area, with the city, and with the trials of growing up, reinventing your identity, etc. This book is excellent in relating the feelings of always changing, always looking for more in life.
on March 9, 2017
All things wonderful, if you've ever worked in the service/food industry this is a must read.
on November 22, 2016
Ms. Hamilton's writing is so personal that I almost felt like I knew her. I enjoyed her frank narration of her life, and I liked the book a lot more than I was initially expecting to.
on October 13, 2016
I read this in one sitting Beautifully written by an intelligent woman with complete honesty, insight and humor. You will not be disappointed. A read more about life than just food and cooking.
on September 5, 2017
Fun read. Nice look inside the workings of the mind of a chef.
on March 4, 2012
This book made me late for work even though I'm a punctuality freak; that's the kind of book this is. You find yourself thinking about what you've read so far throughout your day, by turns admiring and admonishing Hamilton as she takes a meandering route to become owner/chef of Prune in New York City. Without any bombast, this autobiography is absolutely spellbinding. With the breakup of her childhood family and too-early push into self-reliance, Hamilton tells of mistakes, close calls, and victories most of us wouldn't have the guts for. She balances self-reflection without ever tipping over into navel-gazing or apology. She tells her life story with an almost-clinical detachment, making it all the more arresting. If you love self-revelation books like Kitchen Confidential or Hitch-22, you will adore this book.
on December 9, 2016
Sort of hard to put in a box. A memoir, story of a convoluted life, a life often ruled by serendipity, and some good lessons for everyone to learn. All in a good read.
on November 11, 2014
My book club picked this book to discuss. I had no idea about who the author was before reading the book. I really enjoyed the story and writing style of Ms Hamilton. Her life story is unpredictable and quirky. When I start the book I kept wanting to read it. I think she may have another book in her story line. If she does, I will buy it and read it. I have already recommended this book to several of my friends and if you have any foodies friends, this would be a wonderful gift to give them. The cover art is fun too! I highly recommend this book.