• IMPORTANT NOTICE: This high-definition disc will only play in an HD DVD player. It will not play in a standard-definition DVD player, Blu-ray player, or PS3.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- In-Movie Experience
- Focus Points feature that takes the viewer to in-depth featurettes and production diaries
- Commentary by Director Edward Zwick
- Blood on the Stone: Follow a diamond's path from the ground to the store
- Becoming Archer: Profiling Leonardo DiCaprio
- Journalism on the Front Line: Jennifer Connelly on women journalists at war
- Inside the Siege of Freetown: Edward Zwick on one of the movie's pivotal sequences
- Nas Shine on 'Em music video
- Theatrical trailer
Top Customer Reviews
1. Leonardo DiCaprio's Performance: This film in my opinion features the best ever performance extracted from Leonardo DiCaprio on film. He is flawless here as a South Africa white who needs to discover whether material wealth means more to him than human emotion and sentiment. I have never been a huge fan of Leo (though yes, he was wonderful in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "The Beach") but this film alongwith "The Departed" really opened my eyes. Granted he is a physically splendid creation, but his use of language, intonation and emotion were at the forefront of this movie, and the only downside to his performance is that it totally overshadowed the other actors.
2. Djimon Hounsou's performance : This was an actor I first noticed in "Amistad" and he just keeps getting better and better. He is one actor who looks about 25 even though hes well past 40, and has an incredible range. His role as a traumatized father looking for his son in the middle of riot torn Africa will be remembered years to come, however, he is not as radiant as Leonardo here, and for that reason alone I think he is thought of as a "supporting actor" here. If you pay attention, you will actually see that he gets MORE screen time than Leo.
3. Jennifer Connelly : I think she is one of the most ill-utilized actresses we have today, and the director doesn't do much with her here either, which is a pity. However, her role is quite effective for what it is - the downside being that she has zero chemistry with Leo in every regard.
4. Cinematography : The effect here was to present Africa as a beautiful nation though ridden with political problems and woes.Read more ›
Djimon Hounsou plays Solomon Vandy, a simple fisherman and father of two who witnesses his idyllic existence crumble before his eyes. Rebels seeking new recruits, slaves, and random carnage swarm into his village. They select his adolescent son and other young men as future cadets in their guerilla army--following suitable brainwashing and manipulation techniques--before then getting down to the real business of slave collection. Seemingly devoid of any mental workings besides casual sadism, these bandits top-off their kidnapping and slave-taking exercise with the mutilation and execution of men deemed too troublesome for them to bother with. Vandy is rescued from dismemberment at the last minute when the rebels recognize his strength, seeing it as an asset they can utilize in their constant search for capital: the blood diamond pits. Condemned to toiling underneath the blazing sun with nary a chance of reaping any benefit (besides possible continued survival) for his efforts, Vandy happens to discover an egg-sized blood diamond hidden in the streambed. Hiding it underneath his foot, he buries it when the rebel encampment is attacked by government troops.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great movie! Leo delivered a spectacular performance. Showed this to my cousins the other dayPublished 3 days ago by Mick
I love this movie. One of my favorites. Leo is great in this. Only thing is its a bit long and some of the flirting between Leo and the reporter chick is corny but overall this is... Read morePublished 4 days ago by A.G.
Movie seems to be ok but the case is warped will not close completely and it's obvious this package went through the ringer getting here. Could have used a little more protection. Read morePublished 10 days ago by jeanie
A couple of coworkers hounded me for at least 3 months getting me to watch this. Glad I finally did. It was a fantastic movie - great acting, storyline and plot. Read morePublished 17 days ago by JB
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > HD DVD
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama