Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 308 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 367 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 4, 2017
This was either a freebie or a dirt cheap Kindle purchase. At first, I was afraid it was going to be a lovey/chickish vamp book - but actually, it didn't end the way I anticipated...which is very, very good. I would read the next installment.
on February 3, 2011
I got this E-book end of January. I kept putting it off to read because well I thought it was free, how good could it possibly be? I am soo glad that I started to read it at 9.30 am and just finished it at 10.10 pm on 2/3/11.!!

I really did enjoy reading the book. I didn't want to put it down, but had to throughout the day. :)

The story was good, easy to follow, and well being a fan of Vampire related Novels, this one is right up there with the others.

I gave the star rating 4 because it had many typos and grammar related issues. And then when I was reading, there was a Jim and Mona, and a few pages out, it was Frank and Mona. Disturbing. While I understand that the writer engrossed... but who was supposed to be proof reading this before it got published?

Reading this novel, I was able to overlook the misspellings and the grammar issues (because even I am not perfect lol) but if you, the writer, are going to write more, Please Please Please, make sure this is properly done. I think that I would read more from you, but if someone out there, and lets face it there are people out there, once they read/see 1 typo, they stop reading.

Over all, I say well worth the read! I'd recommend it to others. And I would definately try another one of his novels.
on October 1, 2014
This book has lots of underage sex in it. I couldn't handle it. After the lead vampire admitted to having a three way with Naomi, some under-aged, servant girl, I just stopped. I just can't do underage sex.

Formatting? What's up? There are no paragraph indents for the first 1/4 of the book then they suddenly the indents appear in the middle of a chapter. Then, for good measure, the indents disappear again randomly around 50%. Also, the author used internet style formatting, where there's a space between each paragraph. It's cheap becaues it makes the book appear longer than it actually is. Also, it's pretty odd to read it in that style.

Onto the book itself. It's pretty unbelievable, but then again it's urban fantasy so it's supposed to be unbelievable. The main character, Two (horrible name for a protag btw. Every time her name started a sentence I thought it was the number, not the person. For example: Two went out that night. Two what? Vampires? Children? Chair legs? Oh wait, Two is a name. Really difficult to read when your main character is also a common word.)

So Two is in a whore house in NYC. For all cliches, she's also an orphan so it's no big deal when she starts being a whore. She's got no family, no friends, no siblings, no reason to live except heroin. Oh, btw she's also in the top tier of whores, so she's really desired. Orphaned, drop dead beautiful, doesn't even realize it. Cliches all around.

So one day this guy requests Two by her hooker name, Ashley. He asks her to wear these "weird clothes" (they weren't really that weird) and the whole request is supposed to be mysterious, I guess. This dude picks her up in a crazy fancy car then takes her to a super awesome dinner then drives her out of NYC to a town somewhere in Jersey I guess. If you drive a pimp's top tier girl out of town, aren't you going to get sniped or something? I don't know the rules of whore houses but this didn't seem real to me.

Anyway, the guy calls her by her slightly derogatory numerical name, and that's all it takes for Two to instantly feel love. Which she claims she's never felt before. All of a sudden she wants to get it on with this young attractive guy who magically knows her real name - and not because he paid for her either. Truly, she wants to bang him because she loves him. Five minutes after driving in his car. Okay, thirty if you count the dinner. It's an insta-relationship (just add water!)

The guy claims he can set her free and she agrees to his offer, not really understanding his offer. But the "you're free" part sounds nice. So she accepts his offer, partially because he sounds convincing, partially because he's hot, but not because she understands what he's saying. So then they do the dirty on a hilltop in Jersey and he bites her on the neck. I think vampire attraction takes over and she climaxes and dies all in the same moment. Then the book is over.

Just kidding. Long story short, she "falls in love" with the vampire after meeting him for two hours. She wants to be with him for all of vampire eternity (I've been with my man for four years and still don't know if I want to commit to a human lifespan.)

So...stuff happens. I can't really even describe what. It's a slow paced book after that point without a lot of tension. Well, there's tension but I found it fake. The typical "I don't want to be a vampire" and "Am I really human?" stuff comes up.

Truthfully, at this point the main character, Two, came off as weak and pretty flat. She was more interesting when she lived in the whore house. The male vampire that turned her basically took over the novel without the author realizing it. The male vampire dictated all of Two's actions from that point. "Tonight is not a good night for you to take revenge against your pimp." And Two would bat her pretty eyes and say, "Ok." She would've been much more interesting if she said, "Screw that I do want I want." Instead, she became a timid little girl who said "ok" to everything her lover demanded. Either way, at this point, the main character became painfully boring.

Oh well. The story never went that way and I never finished the book. Pretty cliche, pretty predictable, and a fairly weak MC. I'm kind of surprised this book has so many five stars but to each their own. At least the writing was solid. It's the plotting and character development that was awful. And the underage sex. Please stop banging teens. It's gross.
on July 11, 2011
I went into this with low expectations - free ebook from an untried author? And to be honest, it sat in my kindle for a few months before I finally decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. It starts off maybe a little too quickly, and the book could have used a little more flushing out maybe in the middle when it came to the life of the vampires, but for the most part the uniqueness of the story and the character of Two kept me entertained, till I reached a point of being unable to put it down till I finished it. And then I wanted to see what was next. Let's face it, a lot of potential authors throw things up there in the store and sadly, aren't very good. This one is, however. Yes, there are still a couple of typos - only one that hurt my brain. But in this new medium of self publishing, I expect that. What I want to see are characters I care about, and a story that is unique enough to draw you in. This is a good first novel, and I cannot wait for the next book in the trilogy. Good job, Chris!
on August 21, 2014
The cover drew me to this book, looking like a good old-fashioned horror novel, the kind a grew up with. It wasn't quite the case, but I liked it nevertheless.

Despite her silly name, Two is an engaging character and although we join her at a very bad time, in a very bad place, you can't help but root for her and want her to beat the odds.

I liked the writing style a lot, despite some errors. It read to me like the author was on a real role, flying through the story, and I can't knock that kind of driven enthusiasm. It is very hard to go back and proof read, I hate re-reading my own writing, and therefore it's easy to miss typos, auto-correct errors etc. I didn't find they confused the issue much, your brain correcting them with ease as you flew through the pages as quickly as it appears the author typed them.

This story is quite dark, and the writing reflects that. It was a real refreshing change from the YA vampire fluff I had been feasting on previously. The plot line is well worked out and twisted nicely, keeping excitement levels high. This was definitely my type of book.
on August 1, 2016
While I loved the characters and the idea of the story, it just didn't capture my attention. The author did a wonderful job with detail and composition. I guess vampire books just are not my cup of tea anymore. I full recommend it for those who still love the vampire genre and want something different than your average vampire love story. It definitely gives more maturity to the vampire genre. But alas, I must have grown away from my love of vampire book. Again, bravo to the author for coming up with something besides a teenage vampire love story that we have all read before.
on December 10, 2013
This is a very darkly written book but falls short of being a good book. I did like that it wasn't some stupid sappy love story with a vampire being in love. They don't have feelings. They are evil. They kill brutally. There is potential for this to be a really good read, it just needs editing and polish both with the plot and the characters. The writing needs more than just a little polish as it's full of silly phrases, grammatical errors, inconsistencies and filler.
on September 27, 2012
Unlike a lot of reviewers, I don't agree that this is a bad novel or a waste of time. Some reviewers are arguing that this shouldn't be listed as a romance, I disagree with that as well, just because one half of the couple bites it (almost literally) doesn't disqualify the romantic aspect of the relationship, it's only love if both people make it? I think a lot of people are upset that there's no happily ever after in this book because that's what they've come to expect from a lot of UF novels, I much prefer the more realistic approach of this author, life and love most oft do not end the way we would like it to.

I particularly like the authors writing style, he manages to convey emotion and emphasis sometimes with only few sentences composed of less than five words, stripped down to just the facts which functions much like a slap to the face, I find that this sometimes manages to convey more than the purple prose so many authors are fond of employing. Not to say that he doesn't at times get prosey, he does, however, when he chooses to do so it's appropriate and adds rather than detracts from the tale. People complained about the violence and the drug use, but you know what, there are people out there that have lived and still live like that, kids like Molly who are snatched from their parents and forced into the sex trade, just because it makes people uncomfortable to know about it or read about it, doesn't negate it's existence.

All of that is not t say that I didn't check out at some points in the novel, the excessive (and prosey) back story on Theroen bugged me and I did skip sections of it (only to come back and read it), but it does explain a good amount of the character's motivations and actions. The section where Molly was introduced was also a very difficult part for me, having volunteered with severely abused women and children most of whom had been trafficked from China, I'll admit to having a nightmare or two for a few days after reading and I had to set the book aside for a bit. The one thing that bothered me perhaps the most, was that Two decided to return to help Molly and the others only after she lost Theroen, her vampirism and needed to take Darren down for some quick cash. I almost stopped reading when she was rationalising away all the reasons why she shouldn't return for them. It would also have been good to understand why of everyone else, Theroen picked Two and what had been his criteria for doing so, had he been watching her? If so, for how long?

Was this a good read? Yes. Would I recommend it to someone else? Definitely. I like the authors writing style, I appreciate that he wasn't afraid to take chances with a starting storyline I'm pretty sure he knew would rub a lot of people the wrong way, but he did it anyway and didn't sanitise it. I almost didn't pick this up because of some of the bad reviews, but I'm really happy that I ignored them and went ahead with it anyway.
on February 28, 2011
The beginning of this book reminded me of the movie Kiss of the Dragon (with Jet Li and Bridget Fonda). Though it started out as a familiar story, I have to say that it drew me in. I liked Two right off the bat and hated Darren immediately. This is big for me. I have to have a develop "relationship" with the characters right away and Buecheler did that well in this book.

After the first two chapters or so, I was just waiting for something to happen. There was a lot of character and relationship development in the first half of the book (which is great) but not much else going on. Once Theroen entered the picture the action seemed to stop. Sure, there was Two's transition into a vampire and the feeding that comes along with it, but I feel like there could have been more action to draw the reader further into the story. With character and relationship development and nothing else, it was hard to see what the whole plot of the story was aside from "handsome vampire rescues girl".

The second half (well, really about 2/3 into it) finally got into the "guts" of the story, the plot development, the action and (let's face it) the whole point of the book. With so much leading up to it, I was ready for some serious conflict, a really great fight scene or something along those lines. I feel like that never happened. Don't get me wrong, there were some great parts and some good ideas but I feel like the story fell flat. There was so much potential for it to be really great but it never quite made it. The best part was when Two returned to seek revenge (I'm not going to call that a spoiler because as soon as you start the book you know that's coming at some point in the book), but even that could have been better. I just feel like it left something to be desired.

Favorite quote:
"Sex is sex. Love is love. The first is a raw biological process, the latter is something more."

It wasn't a bad book by any means. It was a dark, gritty and dramatic story. Once I finished, my first thought was that it was 4 star worthy. But then I started writing my review and as I was rehashing the book in my head I started realizing that I wished there was more to the story. There were some really great ideas (the progression into vampirism, the evil elder, the different effects that vampirism has on different people, etc.) but I just think they were poorly executed. It had the potential to be a 5 star book with a little more action and if there was a little more effort and detail put into the key scenes. I felt like by the time the story was fully developed the author rushed to finish the book.

This is the first book in a trilogy. I did like it and I will be downloading the next book, Blood Hunt, when it's released.
on February 28, 2013
That has hardly been more true for me than this book. I downloaded it ages ago because it looked like a quick "B" movie in print form. I've read my library empty except for this book a couple of times but rather than open it I went and purchased more. Last week I finally forced myself to read it before I would hit Amazon and restock my library.

Wow, am I ever glad I did! I expected this to be a tweens "Goosebumps" kind of script but couldn't have been more pleasantly pleased that it was far from it. I very much enjoyed the first book and immediatly went to buy the second. Too bad we can't give 1/2 or 3/4 stars as this would have ranked as a 4 1/2 easily. I would have held back from a full 5 stars for my own silly peeve. I decided my critique on two little points still made the book closer to a 5 than a 4.

1. Please change the cover! It is very misleading as to the quality of the writing. This cover would be more suited for children's Goosebumps paperbacks.

2. Think carefully before you name a main character something like "Two, like the number" .. It's still driving me cazy. LOL

If those are the most negative issues you also come up with then add this author to your bookshelf ..soon! I will watch for more books from this author with anticipation!