Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Blue Bloods: Season 1
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 28, 2017
The wonderful CBS television series "Blue Bloods" provides its viewers with the masterful assimilation of a police drama into a larger family drama. It examines the lives of four generations of the Reagan law enforcement dynasty, a family which has a rich tradition of both police service, as well as military service. Most episodes are structured around a specific police case, which is typically associated with some type of an ethical or moral dilemma, along with other complicating factors. "Blue Bloods" focuses more on the fundamental relationships between its characters, rather than on action and mayhem. The weekly Sunday dinner, featuring the four generations of the Reagan family sharing a meal, as well as pertinent stories, vigorous debates, and fatherly and grandfatherly advice, is decidedly heartwarming, and gives the show a gratifying interpersonal touch. The actors of "Blue Bloods," led by Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg, and Bridget Moynahan, consistently deliver excellent performances, and are truly the heart of the show. I give the outstanding police and family drama, "Blue Bloods," an enthusiastic five-star rating, along with my highest recommendation.
on November 1, 2016
Yes, I know... there are 38,000+ police officers in the five boroughs, so it's highly coincidental that virtually all the interesting, puzzling, controversial, emotionally charged cases end up with five members of one Irish Catholic family... but it works, it's drama often "ripped from the headlines" without an excessive side of schmaltz, so what's not to like?

The family Sunday dinners become a forum for legitimate discussions that should be center stage in the mind and heart, conscience and consciousness of everyone serving and sacrificing in law enforcement or those questioning the many problems within that community -- often the same people.
Now in its seventh season, critics and consumers alike apparently find it worth a weekly hour of exploration and the writers and great ensemble cast keep coming up with reasons to keep coming back. Bravissimo! (or whatever the Irish equivalent.)
on September 16, 2015
I love this show!! I have watched it from inception and have not really been disappointed. I love the family storyline thread that runs through the episodes. I love that the female characters are smart, strong and just as capable as the male leads. (this is sadly rare in tv). I enjoy the family dinners as well and how they support each other!

Tom Selleck is always good! I am enjoying watching this series on Prime.

My only complaint is that It was wrong for CBS let Jennifer Espsito go. I thought she was a good part of the show and an excellent partner to Danny.
on September 26, 2015
Blue Bloods is a fabulous show because the stories are very realistic, Despite this 4 generatiions of the family and the trials and tribulations of each family member they come together every Sunday for family prayer, dinner and interactive conversations, including the children. Another interesting point is: I am a New Jerseyan and started to go to New York in 1953! I have taken my children to New York! ntil I saw Blue Bloods, I never realized or appreciated the work of the NYPD. Thanks to this show I now realize how every visitor to New York City should value the NYPD's service.

The world has changed a lot since the 50's, 60's & 70's and after 9/11 the threats to NYC have grown because of terroristic attempts to destroy as many human beings as they can.

Kudos to Tom Seleck and the entire cast, Directors ,etc. God bLess them all and God bless America.
on January 23, 2016
Great series about a family of cops. The patriarch is retired police commission whose son, played by Tom Selleck, is the current police commissioner. Selleck and his father live in an old 100-year-old house where the children and grandchildren meet each Sunday for a family dinner. Selleck's two sons and one daughter are a detective, a street cop and an assistant prosecuting attorney, respectively. All aspire to be the best they can be. In this modern era of complicated heroes who are more "bad" than "good," Blue Bloods is a refreshing glimpse into a family that excels, believes in hard work, honesty, and honor. Words that sadly are no longer heard in this PC world of tip-toe justice, and half-truth. If you like priests who are treated as honorable men rather than clowns, and cops who care about their jobs, their families, and their fellow man, this is the series that you will enjoy. It feels good to be with this family!
As network "cop shows" go, I think this is a fairly good one. I like the acting (Tom Selleck, Donnie Wahlberg) and I like the ethical situations that are presented. Some cop shows turn me off because they are so vulgar; I am not a prude but they just do, and they present police in an unappealing light. This show is not like that. There is an endearing quality to the show because of the closeness of the family and the tradition of police and civil service in the family. To be completely candid, I finally felt I had to stop watching the show because my own family is so tragically estranged that it made me sad to watch this (fictional) one. I seriously doubt that most people will have that reaction. So I give it four stars for being pretty good and when I come to terms with things I will go back to watching the show.
on August 31, 2015
I watched this series on local tv a couple years ago and always regreted that they cancelled the transmission. Now that it is available on Prime videos I'm glad I could watch it daily. The series is good overall, it is mostly focused on the Reagan family which has a tradition of being cops for several generations. I think the series is successful in showing how our lives and the way we live it could lead people to committing crimes or being victims as well.

I watch an episode on a daily basis and I'm already thinking of what will happen when I watch the last episode, I guess I'll miss it as you miss an old friend.

Highly recommended.
on May 18, 2015
When Blue Bloods came out, I could never watch the show because of the time it aired. Seeing the reasonable price the DVDs were I decided to order the first four seasons as I enjoy both Tom Selleck and Len Cariou as actors. Need I say I was not disappointed in season 1. The interaction of the characters and the plot lines are very realistic. In a time when families are rarely seen eating meals together, each episode has the Reagan extended family meeting for Sunday meals where discussions take place, thoughts shared, and work related issues kept to a minimum. In season 1 the underlying theme is finding out who murdered Joseph Reagan, the son of the Police Commissioner (Tom Selleck). As the clues unfold, Jamie Reagan, former lawyer, new rookie on the NYPD and youngest son of the commissioner, discovers a secret society within the NYPD called the Blue Templar. When season 1 concludes, this underlying plot is resolved. I am looking forward to watching the remaining seasons.
on March 3, 2014
Blue Bloods started with a high level of expectations and it hasn't stopped. Of course Tom Selleck as Frank Reagan, Police Commissioner is one of the most impressive characters of the show ! It is so great to see Nichholas Turturro on the tube again (NYPD Blue as Detective James Martinez) ! ! ! The Police Commissioner struggles with ethics and bad guys balanced with the police as well as the Mayor. The first season Mayor was a flake, fortunately the second season has David Ramsey as Mayor Carter Poole - Outstanding character ! You might remember him from Dexter as Anton :) Back to Season One. I wasn't a real fan of Danny Reagan (Donnie Wahlberg) and maybe he still isn't but he works the character and is sincerely believable and ultimately, that is what makes a show work for me. It can be difficult to has a family relationship woven into the fabric of a police drama but the Sunday dinners help create a strong bond with the family as well as connecting the family into the police drama plot line. The grandfather, Henry Reagan (Len Cariou) retired Police Commissioner not only links his family into strong relationships but also contributes his expertise into the police drama. This is one TV series that works well because of the combination of their characters. Selleck and Walhberg can not stand alone here, however, they are well supported. It did take me a couple of shows to become vested into the Reagan's but today, Blue Bloods is one of my solid TV shows. Watching it without commercials is the absolute best in TV.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 7, 2015
Blue Bloods brings two intertwining plots to each episode. The plots generally highlight something similar from different ends of the spectrum, like there relationship between brothers. One relationship going the right way with the police family (the Reagans) and one going badly (the bad guys). The relationships among the family seem very solid and real. Tom Selleck is very good as the police commish and his sons are good as cops. Cops Danny is the rough and ready, "get 'er done" kind of cop. These folks are clearly the good guys, which is refreshing. However, Danny sometimes does resort to methods we find less than ethical. Some shows leaving us shaking our heads at what he is willing to do to get the arrest and conviction. The family is Catholic and we see them saying their grace before Sunday dinner in each episode, but don't expect that religions belief to be deep or out front in any way. These folks are Catholic like other folks are Italian or Polish. For example, in the first season, younger son Jamie is living with his girl-friend. A conservative Catholic family would frown on that, but everyone is cool with it. Selleck's character, Frank Reagan, has a young girlfriend in the first season. His wife is dead so sure, he can date. But obviously their is fornication going on. It just feels sleazy. In a later season (second or third, can't remember), Franks has another women he is fornicating with. When it comes out, there is a lot of smirking (the man still has it, huh?). Again, for the folks who are the really good guys, to be sneaking out to meet a woman for sex just comes across as sleazy. Luckily, that was short lived. Currently watching the fourth season. One of the earlier episodes clearly says the end justifies the means. Not always, of course, but sometimes. Someone could argue that this shows the real life conflicts when someone has to deal with issues like this, and that's true... to a point. But the an acknowledgement of what is ultimately good is really necessary. In some episodes, we really see that. Those leave us cheering. In others, we are left feeling just a little bit dirty. So on the whole, some very good stories, mostly moral.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse