Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Top Contributor: Babyon June 23, 2017
Blue Hat, Green Hat was in a stack of new books I purchased for my granddaughter's 2nd Birthday. Since she knows her colors and her clothing, I wasn't sure if she was going to enjoy this book more than once or twice, but it's a Boynton so I gave it to her anyway. She not only enjoys it, after I read it to her twice I heard her "reading" it to herself! She didn't miss a thing! I love the way the author included animals, clothing, colors and a twist at the end! Sandra Boynton has such a gift for teaching our littles, they don't know they are being taught, to a little it is all entertainment! I wonder what she could do with High School Physics and Chemistry?

I would recommend this book for any family library. It's a book that can be read to the very youngest, the pictures are clear and the "slip ups" of the turkey are hysterical - Oops! Sheer genius!
|0Comment|Report abuse
This is a fun little book, fitting right into the canon of Boynton's other books. The text is quite sparse, the illustrations simple and funny.

I would note that we've found with this book, to really engage our son, the reader has to do a lot of work! Because the text is so sparse, we've had to embellish it a bit with explanations--explaining what the turkey continues to do wrong when trying to get dressed, like his friends. I don't mean this as a criticism, though--it's actually a compliment. It lets the reader be an active participant in the book, engaging the child with dialogue that, hopefully, leads to learning and interest.

Also, you'll find yourself saying "oops!" a lot when you find what the turkey is wearing, almost always incorrectly. You'll be surprised at how many different tones of voices, inflection, volumes, etc. you can use with the word "oops!"
6 people found this helpful
on December 10, 2017
Sandra Boynton . . . is the BEST! All of her books are so great for little ones. My little one loves the identification of colors and clothing items . . . then surprise . . . the turkey puts everything on all wrong! It brings sweet giggles. Buy all of her books . . . you can't go wrong.
One person found this helpful
on March 27, 2018
We love Sandra Boynton books but this one is hard to read, flows is off and doesn’t have a cute rhyme like her other books. Illustrations are nice and we talk about the animals in the pictures and are working on identifying colors. Otherwise I’m pretty sure my 2 yr old finds this book boring.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on September 17, 2015
Cute book and printed in the USA. So few cardboard books are. Babies chew on their cardboard books. What materials and dyes are used is very important and there have been enough problems with lead or other bad things in toys that are imported that I am always happy to see made in USA on a toy.
on April 19, 2016
This is a favorite in our house! My 5, 3 and 1 year old LOVE to read this with me. There is a bonus too, it is a simple enough text that my 5 and 3 year old can read it on their own and often read it to each other. It is also great to teach a few simple colors to young ones who love to read. It has a little silly humor too, so it keeps your kiddos laughing!
on August 13, 2016
My kids love to read this book - every night, "Blue hat, Green Hat" It mysteriously gets misplaced from time to time until it can be tolerated again. But it is a wonderful way for them to recognize colors, and is a great early reader. Let your kids read it themselves - the color recognition will make it easy for them to get familiar with the flow of the book and feel like they are reading it before they can actually read.
on June 10, 2018
My kids love this book which outlines one turkey's struggle to fit into society's rigid strictures. He tries, but he just can't get it right. I don't want to give away the ending, but he does find a way to embrace who he is and fly free. Inspiring!
on April 3, 2018
This has been a family favorite for 20 years....I read this to all 3 of my nephews and they would laugh and smile every time I pulled it out. Sandra Boynton is the BEST at board books and would recommend it for anyone.
on April 22, 2018
I love this book. So did my grandsons. Bought it again for a friend's daughter's baby shower along with a two other Boyden books. Big hit. Just as appreciated as the diaper pail liners we gave and longer lifetime.