Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 29, 2009
 My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves this book!
66 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 2, 2007
I usually like Boynton books but I'm not a fan of this one. It's subject matter and writing is terrible. "Blue hat, green hat, oops." It's that same sentence repeated for about 6 pages, switching out hat for socks, pants and shoes. There is no story. There's nothing to teach my daughter from reading this book, nor anything that could spark creativity. It's just boring.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon August 3, 2000
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Blue Hat, Green Hat was one of her picks.
Although ostensibly about colors, this book is subtly about much more. Clothes are put on an elephant, a bear, a moose, and a turkey. As you can imagine, putting clothes on a turkey is a challenge. So the turkey always has the clothes on in some strange way (shirt around tail feathers but not on legs, hat on the feet, pants around head and chest, socks on front feathers, coat on beak, etc.). That is a wonderful way to teach you child the word "oops" and to associate doing something unusual with fun. What a great preparation for mistakes later in life!
All of the pictures are pretty silly, so you will engage your child's sense of the ridiculous. For example, the elephant, bear and moose are standing on their hands when wearing colored pants.
For help with learning the colors, each sequence has the colors in a different order. That makes learning a greater challenge and more interesting.
By sticking with few colors and many situations, the task of learning is made manageable for the child. Since the story is short, it also matches a child's attention span.
Overcome your misconception stall that young children are not ready for humor and book learning!
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 27, 2015
I love Sandra Boynton books, but this one is a bit of a miss for us. My son is about a year old, and definitely way too young to get the subtle humor in this story. Unlike some of her other books, like Happy Hippo Angry Duck, Barnyard Dance, Snuggle Puppy, and The Going to Bed Book, which all have silly plots that make it fun reading for the parent too, this book really doesn't have much of a plot. It pretty much just goes through colors like red hat, blue hat, green hat, with different animals wearing the colored hats. Then, there is a chicken with the item of clothing on the wrong body part. I am hoping this book will come in handy when my son is older and learning colors and how to dress himself, but right now, I put it away because it just isn't fun to read like Boynton's other books.
on March 2, 2015
I expected this to be about hats based on the title....I bought this in conjuction with "The Hat" by Jan Brett after reading other recommendations. While it's a cute story, it focus's on colors and other articles of clothing using the primary colors and animals. A really silly read, which my preschoolers ask to be read over and over again.
on August 10, 2002
Well, the other animals seem to be able to put their clothes on (a task that takes quite a bit of early skill, as any parent or grandparent knows). But what about the poor rooster? Ooops! The poor thing just can't get it right.
This wonderful book is special on many levels. First of all, it tickles a toddler's funny bone like no other...listen to your child yell, "Ooops!" and break up laughing. Definitely a plus right there. Then, it subtly teaches colors (the blue hat is indeed blue, the green hat is indeed green, and so forth). And finally, it shows the child that it's OK to make mistakes, and that learning such a huge task as dressing oneself can be hard even for roosters!
Along with every other Boynton book I've ever seen, this one's a keeper.
11 comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 9, 2017
My kids love this book so much that they loved the first copy we owned to death. This is a replacement!
on June 4, 2017
Favorite little storybook ever. My son and I used it waaaaaay longer than the expected age lol.
on December 27, 2017
My four year old can read it just by looking at the pictures.
on June 1, 2017
One of my favorite baby books! I got a few copies to have on hand to use as a card for baby showers.