Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 121 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 216 reviews
on February 22, 2017
This was a book I didn't want to end. Tony Horwitz writes in such a easy going and humorous manner that he makes both Captain Cook the man, the times he lived and his discoveries accessible to even the most armchair bound explorer. Tony and Roger his rum guzzling skirt chasing mate criss cross the world from Seattle to Sydney, Tahiti to Yorkshire, Tonga to Alaska, and finally to Kealakekua bay Hawaii in search of the enigmatic Cook while describing in detail his amazing travels under the most extreme level of hardships. Moving both in and out of James Cook's amazing discoveries and their own escapades in Cook's footsteps makes for rollicking good fun. Highly recommended!
on May 16, 2016
One of the best books I've ever read. Well researched. Well written. I now feel like I knew Captain Cook, personally. I read it while spending nine weeks in Australia and it had special meaning because I could visit many of the places discussed. I would read anything by Tony Horowitz. He's an impressive writer and a credit to the field and went above and beyond so we could better understand Captain Cook and the time in which he lived. My hat is off to you and you've now joined the group of people I'd most like to have to dinner!
on September 4, 2017
Horowitz' does a great job of presenting a Captain Cook we can see and imagine. By weaving in the many primary sources of Cook from his shipmates and officers, we get a good view of the man and the officer. Adding bits and pieces of evidence found about him and his adventures at the locations of his many travels and his life in England, helps further illuminate Cook's life. The series of interpretations Horowitz presents from contemporary citizens and community leaders living in the communities, on the islands, and from the many different countries that have since emerged; offers some good evidence of how historical interpretations vary according to how each subject believes Cook impacted their ancestors' lives and culture. My only criticism is the sometimes inconsistent descriptions of the state of various islands' modern culture and their communities. It was very inconsistent and certainly not balanced and seemed wholly subject to whom he happened to meet. Still, a great read.
on January 18, 2017
"Being in a ship is being in a jail, with a chance to drown."

I finished "Blue Horizons" on Waikiki Beach - an appropriate setting. My Hawaii vacation read gripped me from the getgo. When I turned the last page I felt that great book sadness.

I am thankful Tony Horowitz shares his prodigious writing talent with us. His combination of travel, humor and exhaustive history is wonderful.

I read a lot, both non-fiction and fiction. Tony Horowitz is one of my favorite authors.

If you possess an interest in Captain Cook and South Pacific history, you won't be disappointed.

Tony, please keep writing!!!
on December 28, 2013
Author Tony Horwitz has an unparalleled mastery of the English language. Combined with a sense of humor that makes me smile and occasionally laugh so hard I tear up, I could hardly put the book (eReader) down. Reading this book stimulated me to order another book of his -- One For the Road -- about hitchhiking trip across the Australian Outback. In Blue Latitudes, he went the places Captain Cook went, as the title implies; but he did it with his friend Roger. The two of them come off as amazingly compatible despite seeming to be the Odd Couple. Roger, the smoking, hard-drinking buddy adds to the humor, though you worry that he won't make it to old age with a liver more flexible than a baseball glove. I will probably read all of Horwitz's books.
on June 27, 2016
This book combines historical accounts of Cook and his travels interspersed with the author and his sidekicks journey to retrace Cooks steps. The personal stories are filled with humor and color. The Cook stories told with an objective view of each side, that of the English and Cook, and that of the indigenous folks he encountered. And their respective ancestors in modern day. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.
on July 17, 2017
Was looking forward to Captain Cooks Adventurers and travel, but ended up having WAY TOO MUCH political discourse of how native peoples hated him!! The discourse seemed to go on and on, almost just stopped reading it as it was so annoying when I just wanted to get on with Capt Cooks Voyages!!
on August 25, 2014
The Author through himself and his traveling companion creates a funny, yet completing enlightening approach to understanding the voyages of Capt Cook. I thought his way of presenting history by blending journal inputs from Cook and his crewmembers with his own perspectives by traveling to many of places Cook visited made for a refreshing and engaging read regarding this period of history. I appreciate how this book brought a much forgotten, but great explorer and leader back to the forefront without any hero like bias, just his honest interpretation of the facts as they are recorded along with the favorable and unfavorable opinions of people who live today in the places where Cook made first contact with the Pacific people.
on July 25, 2017
Bought as a gift but returned because of the poor printing quality. The paper is so thin that printing on the reverse side is clearly visible. While it may not matter to some, I found the book difficult to read for that reason. In addition, there were pinkish-red ink blobs on random pages. Shame to return a good book due to a quality control breakdown.
on April 8, 2015
If you enjoy a melding of modern travelogue and historical review, you will not be able to put this book down. One senses soon that Horowitz has given SERIOUS effort to the research, but also has gone the extra (frequently high) mile to travel in the great explorer's footfall. His humor is gut-jiggling, insight penetrating, humanitarianism incisive. He reminds me of another fantastically entertaining travelogue/historian... a guy named Bill Bryson... This is not a compliment given lightly