Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 13, 2018
This trilogy was fascinating and you need to read all three to understand the progression of Mars terraforming. The First 100 inhabitants are amazing people but the children are even more interesting.
on March 3, 2014
Kim Stanley Robinson's "Red/Green/Blue Mars" series is one of the great trilogies about Mars colonization. What makes it great is the science is believable and the character interactions spot on. This is not a series about bug-eyed monsters and ray guns, this is about humans colonizing Mars and the challenges they will face: technical, environmental, social, and political. I bought a hard back set for myself and lend my well-worn paperback set to friends. I am now reading more of Ms. Robinson's books which is the best recommendation I could give.
on July 19, 2015
Blue Mars is fascinating if you're into solar system exploration, with characters visiting Mercury and the outer moons of the solar system. The passages about Mars itself tend to be extremely lengthy and, frankly, quite boring. Still, the writer creates a compelling picture about the future.

One irritating thing: the writer never addresses the fact that Mars has no magnetic field, which I understand is a key element in a planet's ability to keep its atmosphere and keep out radiation from the sun. Terraforming Mars is all good and well, but without a magnetic field it would all be pretty futile.

Also, the over-long passages about the characters' mental states and over-detailed descriptions about geography get a bit old.
on November 5, 2015
KSR writes like he has been given a blank book of a predetermined size and he must fill it. He may be a good writer but there is just too much filler, filler that would best be left out. When reading his works I find myself skipping pages because of his tedious descriptions. Some of his lists have dozens of items when in most cases just a few would suffice; and some of his descriptions, though informative and correct, are simply too long. I feel that the Mars trilogy should be condensed to a single three part book.
One person found this helpful
on January 13, 2016
This is for all three books in the series

There is a lot to like about this series. The author spins a deep story that touches on society, sociotechnical systems, governance, and ecology in ways that I found thought provoking. On the other hand, he is not a great story teller: the plot drags in many places, as if the only way he can frame a story is as an endless serene of scenes with little thought to, oh, suspense, release, etc. I skimmed many paragraphs that lacked both style and purpose other than to perhaps be faithful to some notion of completeness.

I find myself telling my friends about many parts of Thi trilogy, but I recant only recommend read I got it to the patient.
|0Comment|Report abuse
First, the faults: As other reviewers note, this book needed a better editor. As with the first two books of the series, there are commas in sentences that they don't belong in, and this can get frustrating. There are also some sections in which Robinson goes into vast detail about a specific technology that after 2 books and hundreds of pages into the 3rd - just kill the pacing. After so long a time, being so deep into a story, the characters and plot need to be focused on more than the scientific breakthroughs. Also, as others have noted, Robinson starts to really push our suspension of disbelief: the colonization of other planets and asteroids kind of pushes it.

On to the good stuff: Robinson really knows his stuff, and part of the appeal of this series is how very dense it is, packed with the kind of details that make you believe in the world you're reading about. From science to politics to philosophy to human interactions, the world(s) Robinson creates really feel fully developed.

The best part of this book, for me, is when the story's focus shifts to its final act. Instead of asking, "what would the science, culture, and politics of a colonized mars be like?", the story asks: "What happens when you've lived for 230 years?" The troubles of the first hundred, now considered "superelderly," is described in a fascinating way.

Some reviewers feel the plot-line of Hiroko is dropped. Actually, this is a great part of Blue Mars, because it's not about Hiroko, but the perception of Hiroko. The question for the reader is not, "Is she alive or not?" The question is, "Why do some think she's alive and some not? What are their reasons? What does the 'myth' of Hiroko mean to them?"

Not every loose end is tied up (after all, in life, this can never happen), yet the overall story is brought to a satisfying conclusion. The Mars Trilogy is the tale of the First Hundred, ultimately, and we get a very good picture of what becomes of them.

After almost 2000 pages, I found following their journeys was a very, very worthwhile experience, and I recommend it with no reservations.
6 people found this helpful
on March 14, 2018
Probably my favorite of the three. Heavy on science, Heavier on the future of humanity. If you made it through green mars, which I didn't like quite as much, this one will be solid gold.
on April 17, 2016
I loved the whole trilogy. It is refreshing to read someone who has committed so much to the project.
He presented lots of new ideas. He went into great detail on old ideas. He goes into the nature of man and how he expects we will change and how we will not change as we leave earth and begininng to create colonies and lives elsewhere.
I was making my friends and coworkers crazy by daily quoting something from the books.
Didn't want the series to end. Didn't want to leave the friends I made in these books.
on November 8, 2014
I loved all the books of this serie. So much that it is the second time I take the tour to an amazing and entertaining new world. It was a "must read" book yesterday as it is today. I am sure that K:S. Robinson is already a classic in the same sense as Tolstoy or Faulkner are.
One person found this helpful
on October 20, 2014
I read all three books in this trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), and waited until I had finished the third before writing a review. These books are definitely three parts of a whole, and I wouldn't recommend reading only one, or reading out of sequence. As such, the reviews posted on all three are the same.

Keep in mind that I did actually read all three books, back to back, in the span of two weeks. That, alone, should let you know that this is a highly favorable review. The story, which spans the course of 200 years, or so, concerns the settlement and terraformation of Mars, and kicks off with the trip of the "First 100", and their initial trials on an inhospitable planet.

There is a lot of speculative science in the book, and occasionally it exists merely to allow the story to progress. But, none of it is so outlandish that it takes the story into the realm of fantasy, and it merely forms a background for the overarching theme of human interactions (between characters, between Earth and Mars cultures) and the people who inhabit the red planet as time goes by.

I enjoyed the stories, marveled at the concepts, and highly recommend the Mars Trilogy as a whole.
3 people found this helpful