Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 1, 2017
We bought this as a family game to play with our 3 year old son. This is by far his favorite game, and he chooses this one to play whenever we have a game night. It did not take him long to understand the concept of finding the animals that match on the two cards. Some of the animals he did not know, but it was good for helping him to learn new animal names. The instructions include five variations of playing, which keeps the game fresh. Some versions are a little over his head at this point, but that means that we will have some new ways to play when he gets older! We currently like version 3, where each player has a pile of cards to get rid of, the best. The cards are thick paper and fairly sturdy (but can get crinkly if they get mysteriously wet...) The tin is nice and the lid stays on well. Since it is a game where the person who is the quickest wins, it is sometimes a struggle to find the balance between giving our son extra time to find the match "first" so that he does not get frustrated and not just letting him win. There are times that he does legitimately find the match first, so it's not too painful. I would recommend this game to anyone with kids our son's age.
6 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2015
I don’t know if the developers did this on purpose, but this game is basically a fun version of the cognitive regulation tasks done in research studies on cognitive regulation. The premise of this game is to find the matching animals on any two cards– every card has a match. The catch is, each card has animals of different sizes. If you happen to get two cards where the matching animal is large, it is easy– but most often the match is between two different sized animals. The brain automatically focuses on the large animals and the animals with the most contrasting patterns. Thus, children have to suppress that first impulse of the brain and search harder. They also learn that there are multiple “rules” in this game, it isn’t always the big animals that match for example. This means they have to practice switching rules from card to card. This is a cognitive regulation skill that develops slowly from age 3 to 5. This was hard for my son when we first got it — I think he was just three or soon to be three. When we first started I literally stacked the deck– I put all the easier matches first so he would get the hang of it. I don’t do that anymore now that he is 3.5 years, but I notice that he takes much longer on the first matches and then once his brain gets into it, he gets faster. We see this in the studies as well, younger kids make more mistakes and have slower reaction time than older kids. This is a great game to keep in your bag to bring out while waiting at a restaurant and it’s an awesome game to help them practice a skill they are developing during this time.
6 people found this helpful
on January 11, 2017
I wish the cards did not bend so easy and the tin could have been even smaller that would have been a plus for travel. It is pretty small though maybe about adult fist sized. We are playing it with my 2 year old more like go fish right now minus the drawing after asking. She hasn't quite caught on to the each pair has one matching animal idea. Sometimes she gets it but the "do you have a lion?" way works better taking turns and then she finds the mayches on the winners card. Pictures of animals are easily seen and recognizable. I wish the cards were thicker, harder, laminated maybe. Toddler gets excited and bends them but she is a little young for it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 15, 2015
If you're stuck in a tent on a rainy day a deck of cards and a working knowledge of the rules of Crazy Eights might save your life, or your sanity. But the "Spot It" series adds a whole lot more fun to the concept, and the various choices for different ages, and the different emphasis from set to set, (colors, shapes, words, animals, etc.), means that every kid in the family can participate and have fun.

The tin can is handy and allows you to toss a set or two in the car or the backpack for when the need or the opportunity arises.

A good value, fun and instructive learning toy. A nice find.
2 people found this helpful
on November 13, 2015
We were initially given this as a gift for our 3- and 5-year-olds, and liked it so much that we are now giving it as a gift ourselves. It's a great portable game, suitable for restaurants or anywhere else with a wait and a playing surface, and there are several different ways of playing to mix it up and keep everyone from getting bored, or to shift the advantage around between kids of different ages. I feel like it's helped my kids observation skills and ability to quickly assess a situation, as well.
2 people found this helpful
on March 17, 2016
My kids absolutely love this game. We were introduced to the original on New Years Eve and they did so well with it! As soon as we had the funds for our school budget, we got this version as well as the original. It's so fun! Honestly, even my 3 year old is able to play this and she loves it. My 5 and 8 year olds are a little more competitive with it and it's a blast to watch them all play together. This is an amazing game for kids to play. It's also a great game to take overseas since there aren't words in this version, just animals!
One person found this helpful
on December 17, 2013
This is a great fun for kids. My 4.5 yr old just loves the game. In my opinion, the game would also help kids become more attentive and focused. Even adults will enjoy the game. There are 31 cards in this game, each card having 6 different animals and over 30 animals in total. We play it in couple of different ways - but the basic idea is to spot the common animal between two cards as quickly as possible. There is always exactly one match between any two cards. Its a fast pace game and kids will have fun playing it.

We also own bunch of other variants of this game. I will recommend the following variants in the order of preference:

1. Spot It Junior Animals (all age groups would love this)
2. Spot It (more suited for 7+, but 5+ can play too)
3. Spot It! Basic English (more suited for 5-8)
4. Spot It! Alphabet (more suited for 3-5)
5. Spot It! Numbers and Shapes Children, Kids, Game (more suited for 3-5)

Good luck!
on April 1, 2015
This and the other Spot It games are a ton of fun, easy to learn and brings kids (and adults) of all ages to the table to play together. The Spot It Jr. version has fewer items on the cards, making it easier for the under-5 set. Girls and boys have both loved playing, and my daughter has even played it by herself in a solitaire version; she was "training" for a game with the grown ups. Matching exercises visual perception skills, and when you're playing against opponents or the clock, cognitive speed. It's also easy to play cooperatively, which we really enjoy. The tin makes it durable and portable. We've thrown it in the bag for many a trip and plane ride.
on August 12, 2012
My twins just turned three, and we've been playing this game for a couple months now. We play in the easiest, most non-competitive way, where the girls flip over two cards at a time and try to find the matching animal. Since the animals on the cards are all different sizes and have different orientations, I think this activity is great fom developing pattern recognition cognitive abilities in my children better than regular matching games.

We do own the regular Spot It game, which the kids can play as well. The problem we ran into with the original game is that young children don't recognize all the symbols on the cards(some are words), so this animal-version of the Spot It game is much more appropriate for preschoolers (older kids will enjoy it as well). Another note: if you're purchasing this for a younger child, make sure that they don't bend the cards - they are thin like regular cards so kids who are tough on their toys might destroy them (my kids only play this game under my supervision for this reason).
122 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 22, 2016
We love all the spot it games. They are a great way to teach your kids about finding objects, what different objects are, and just to encourage them to play games.

My favorite thing is that even if we don't want to play the game we can go through and look at the cards and find different objects or talk about what objects are on the card.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.