Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 1, 2017
We bought this as a family game to play with our 3 year old son. This is by far his favorite game, and he chooses this one to play whenever we have a game night. It did not take him long to understand the concept of finding the animals that match on the two cards. Some of the animals he did not know, but it was good for helping him to learn new animal names. The instructions include five variations of playing, which keeps the game fresh. Some versions are a little over his head at this point, but that means that we will have some new ways to play when he gets older! We currently like version 3, where each player has a pile of cards to get rid of, the best. The cards are thick paper and fairly sturdy (but can get crinkly if they get mysteriously wet...) The tin is nice and the lid stays on well. Since it is a game where the person who is the quickest wins, it is sometimes a struggle to find the balance between giving our son extra time to find the match "first" so that he does not get frustrated and not just letting him win. There are times that he does legitimately find the match first, so it's not too painful. I would recommend this game to anyone with kids our son's age.
on February 12, 2015
I don’t know if the developers did this on purpose, but this game is basically a fun version of the cognitive regulation tasks done in research studies on cognitive regulation. The premise of this game is to find the matching animals on any two cards– every card has a match. The catch is, each card has animals of different sizes. If you happen to get two cards where the matching animal is large, it is easy– but most often the match is between two different sized animals. The brain automatically focuses on the large animals and the animals with the most contrasting patterns. Thus, children have to suppress that first impulse of the brain and search harder. They also learn that there are multiple “rules” in this game, it isn’t always the big animals that match for example. This means they have to practice switching rules from card to card. This is a cognitive regulation skill that develops slowly from age 3 to 5. This was hard for my son when we first got it — I think he was just three or soon to be three. When we first started I literally stacked the deck– I put all the easier matches first so he would get the hang of it. I don’t do that anymore now that he is 3.5 years, but I notice that he takes much longer on the first matches and then once his brain gets into it, he gets faster. We see this in the studies as well, younger kids make more mistakes and have slower reaction time than older kids. This is a great game to keep in your bag to bring out while waiting at a restaurant and it’s an awesome game to help them practice a skill they are developing during this time.
on January 11, 2017
I wish the cards did not bend so easy and the tin could have been even smaller that would have been a plus for travel. It is pretty small though maybe about adult fist sized. We are playing it with my 2 year old more like go fish right now minus the drawing after asking. She hasn't quite caught on to the each pair has one matching animal idea. Sometimes she gets it but the "do you have a lion?" way works better taking turns and then she finds the mayches on the winners card. Pictures of animals are easily seen and recognizable. I wish the cards were thicker, harder, laminated maybe. Toddler gets excited and bends them but she is a little young for it.
on May 21, 2017
There are many ways to play, based on child's age/level. At age four, my son and I play in one of the following ways:
1. We each pick a card, compare, and first one to see a match wins both cards.
2. We line up cards on the town roads on his play mat & look for a match with the next card.
3. We place all/some cards face down, flip one each and look for match.

I can see us thinking of new ways to continue playing this game. We will bring on our summer trips.
(But my son does not take losing very well so I have to keep letting him win. Eh.)
on August 7, 2016
Got this for my kids when they were 3. It was one of the first games I taught them. It is very easy to understand and they caught on quick. What I love about this game is that it helps them focus because they really want to find the matches. We take this game everywhere with us because it is so small and easy to carry. You can take it to a restaurant and play while you are waiting for your food. You can take it to the library to play on a play date. It would even be great for playing on an airplane (3 seat row if you are playing with 3 people). It is easy to set up and play wherever you are. I recommend this game.
on March 17, 2016
My kids absolutely love this game. We were introduced to the original on New Years Eve and they did so well with it! As soon as we had the funds for our school budget, we got this version as well as the original. It's so fun! Honestly, even my 3 year old is able to play this and she loves it. My 5 and 8 year olds are a little more competitive with it and it's a blast to watch them all play together. This is an amazing game for kids to play. It's also a great game to take overseas since there aren't words in this version, just animals!
on December 17, 2013
This is a great fun for kids. My 4.5 yr old just loves the game. In my opinion, the game would also help kids become more attentive and focused. Even adults will enjoy the game. There are 31 cards in this game, each card having 6 different animals and over 30 animals in total. We play it in couple of different ways - but the basic idea is to spot the common animal between two cards as quickly as possible. There is always exactly one match between any two cards. Its a fast pace game and kids will have fun playing it.

We also own bunch of other variants of this game. I will recommend the following variants in the order of preference:

1. Spot It Junior Animals (all age groups would love this)
2. Spot It (more suited for 7+, but 5+ can play too)
3. Spot It! Basic English (more suited for 5-8)
4. Spot It! Alphabet (more suited for 3-5)
5. Spot It! Numbers and Shapes Children, Kids, Game (more suited for 3-5)

Good luck!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 15, 2015
If you're stuck in a tent on a rainy day a deck of cards and a working knowledge of the rules of Crazy Eights might save your life, or your sanity. But the "Spot It" series adds a whole lot more fun to the concept, and the various choices for different ages, and the different emphasis from set to set, (colors, shapes, words, animals, etc.), means that every kid in the family can participate and have fun.

The tin can is handy and allows you to toss a set or two in the car or the backpack for when the need or the opportunity arises.

A good value, fun and instructive learning toy. A nice find.
on November 13, 2015
We were initially given this as a gift for our 3- and 5-year-olds, and liked it so much that we are now giving it as a gift ourselves. It's a great portable game, suitable for restaurants or anywhere else with a wait and a playing surface, and there are several different ways of playing to mix it up and keep everyone from getting bored, or to shift the advantage around between kids of different ages. I feel like it's helped my kids observation skills and ability to quickly assess a situation, as well.
on April 1, 2015
This and the other Spot It games are a ton of fun, easy to learn and brings kids (and adults) of all ages to the table to play together. The Spot It Jr. version has fewer items on the cards, making it easier for the under-5 set. Girls and boys have both loved playing, and my daughter has even played it by herself in a solitaire version; she was "training" for a game with the grown ups. Matching exercises visual perception skills, and when you're playing against opponents or the clock, cognitive speed. It's also easy to play cooperatively, which we really enjoy. The tin makes it durable and portable. We've thrown it in the bag for many a trip and plane ride.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.