Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Blue Sea Systems Dual USB Charger Socket
Style Name: USB Charger|Color: 2.1A, Black|Change

on May 12, 2013
My wife and I fish/boat alot and we're always bringing electronic devices with us that sometimes require charging. I added this in addition to our 12VDC socket already installed. It's a godsend. Only one thing you need to know about this particular USB charger socket. It has a little green LED on it that let's you know when power is supplied to it. Unless you have a battery selector switch on-board or you're planning on installing this device to a switched power source, this little LED will be on all of the time. The LED is so small I don't think it would considerably affect your battery while in storage.....just something to consider if you don't have one of the aforementioned options installed.
0Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 14, 2014
This product functions as advertised. What is not advertised is that it generates a great deal of noise on the 12V supply leads, and can cause interference with radios or other electronics in the same vehicle. This is typical of switching power supplies with inadequate filtering.
55 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 23, 2013
The USB specification states that dedicated charging ports are to be detected by having the 2 data pins (the center 2 of the 4 total) shorted together. You can read about it here [...]

This is easily modifiable. I have done it to mine. You can see the photos I shared in the customer image gallery. http://www.amazon.com/review/R110E1XP6YUSR3/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0082CXEI8

Now my Samsung Galaxy S3 charges perfectly and at high enough speed to allow me to use the GPS, bluetooth, and screen without draining the battery.
1616 comments| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2014
This is a really great product, and the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because out of the box it doesn't deliver the whole 2.1A that it claims. The USB ports aren't set up to tell the device you plug in that it's allowed to pull extra current, so it tops out at 500mA per port. Installation was very easy, but you'll want to use the right size drill bit! That outer flange with the two screw holes is removable and I ended up not using it, so my installation is perfectly round.

A quick modification of shorting the two centermost pins on the USB port fixes the current problem (the spec says any resistance between these pins <200Ohms will trigger high current mode, if I recall correctly). Another reviewer has more detailed instructions, but basically you pry the back off (I found a small screwdriver in the slot next to the quick connect tab did the trick; it takes some force but it is possible to do without bending the quick connect. After that, everything slides out, you can see the USB pins on the back of the circuit board. I scraped the black conformal coating off with a razor blade then globbed some solder between the pins. I was only able to get one side though, the other is buried too deeply under the circuitry. And really, I shouldn't need to be modifying this at all!
on April 27, 2015
I purchased two of these units for my two boats after having a situation where I blew an engine 32 miles offshore and almost ran out of cell phone battery talking to the Coast Guard, family members, etc. The unit is well made (as is true of all Blue Sea Systems gear) and incredibly well priced. The problem is it will only charge Android devices at 300-500ma, which is almost not enough charging current to keep up with the voice/data radios, bluetooth, GPS, etc. As a previous (and VERY helpful) reviewer noted, you can open the unit to solder together the two middle pins on ONE side on the charger (the pins aren't evident on the other side, and I wasn't going to tear into the PCB to "fix" both sides). The hardest part is popping off the rear black plastic disc from the unit..you have to use an x-acto knife to go around the circumference of the rear disc and then gently pry up on it to get it to release from the threaded barrel. Once you have removed the rear disc (and voided your warranty in the process), the rest is a piece of cake...simply find the two MIDDLE pins on the one side and solder them together. There is a black insulation material on them which scrapes away easily. Once this is done, you can charge that ONE side at 1100ma on an Android device. All that being said, if you have an Android device, you would be better off simply buying the 12V blue sea cigarette adapter and then getting a cheap plug in charger that is capable of high speed Android charging. Blue Sea recommends using a high speed charging cable to rectify this issue. I bought a very expensive dedicated "high speed" Android charging cable from amazon, and it made zero difference. In short, if you have Android, stay away. I write this to help somebody out there, since I was greatly helped by the reviewer that initially described (and photographed) the necessary modifications for Android charging. Off now to tear into the second unit...
on May 6, 2017
This meter is great to use even in direct sunlight. The unit installs in a traditional 1-1/8" hole. Perfect for monitoring my battery. I wired it hot so I can look in to check my battery voltage anytime. Excellent quality.
on October 3, 2017
Super fast charge for devices, a bit bulkier than the other versions make for Toyota button slots but works so much better that it's well worth it. Ports seem to have a bit of play in them but they haven't failed after a few months of use. Easy installation in 03-09 4runner center console switch locations with minimal filing of the opening. Wired direct to cigarette lighter socket power with no issues. The protective cover is a nice touch to keep dust and crap from falling into ports as well. I would highly recommend this product over the cheaper versions.
on December 19, 2016
I've tried some other, cheaper USB power points and even though they say they're 2.1 or 2.4 amps, my Android phone, running Waze, just won't charge. Waze is a huge power hog, but this USB not only keeps up, my phone actually charges to 100% while running everything I need to run. I've always hear that Blue Sea is quality stuff and that certainly appears to be true. The >$10 USB looks okay and water resistant, but what's inside is what really matters. Yeah, it cost's more, but since it works as it should, I thing it's worth it.
on December 3, 2017
Great quality gauge. Seems to be accurate. But it could be a little brighter.

Another small issue is the soft foam-like ring they placed behind the face of the gauge to help soften the mounting area actually bulges out and makes a slight oval shape on the surface. I'm guessing it's there to help create tension to avoid loosening and to create a water resistant seal. But it needs to be made of rubber. Because if you tighten it down on an aluminum or a white area, it bulges out and looks stupid and oval like.
on May 5, 2015
I just ordered two more of these. I have three other sets and use most of them often. I like having lots of places to plug in.

Be aware, these do draw some power converting 12 volts to 5 volts, so if you don't keep your batteries topped off with solar panels or some other means of charging your batteries, these will draw your batteries down eventually. If you put them on a switch they won't draw any power. I have solar panels so I put more into my batteries than these will use--which is very little. It would take a month or two or even more to kill a battery by leaving this connected.

The go in easy. I tape off the area, drill a hole. I forgot what size, with a hole saw. I seem to recall that I had to go buy a hole saw to fit it. Then I remove the tape which prevents splinters, and pop it in.

The cover works well if you install facing up. For horizontal mounting I find it gets in the way. It will keep out the dust, so the cover is worth using.

Shop around some people charge double.

Buy two as they are very handy and it is as easy to install two sets as one. I spread them out so I always have one within reach.

I'll probably buy several more. I don't like the type that plug into a cigarette lighter and vibrate loose. These always provide a good connection.