Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on April 24, 2012
This is a very good Lanegan recording. One of his best. He's dealing with big subjects here and that's what I like. The philosophical, religious and spiritual elements of this recording are what appeals to me. The dark, haunting quality of his voice has always served him well. He's done many collaborations over the years and most of them are very good. Especially with Isobel Campbell. Those with her are among my favorites. This album has a "bigger" sound than his other work, however. Some of this really rocks. Some of it's somber.

I love the lyrics and the way he puts himself into the songs in a masculine bluesy fashion. Most of the "death metal " groups that deal with the same subject matter have weak vocalists compared to Lanegan. I dig it....and I know that many people may find it depressing but I find it life affirming. The theme of blood, death and loss are true to the facts. That's the way it is.....this album and this kind of music makes me appreciate life and my loved ones all the more....like going to the blue church. As mentioned by other reviewers here, the music supporting Lanegan's singing is just terrific. It's different from his other solo work and the more I listen to it the more I like it. Very talented group of musicians. The funeral arrangement on the cover is a very nice touch.

The album "Broken" by the Soulsavers with Lanegan on most of the lead vocals is another gem, if you like this one. Check it out...
66 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2012
Before purchasing this, all I had really heard from Lanegan was his work with Queens of the Stone Age and a very small portion of his prior solo material and I've always loved his work. This said, I can truthfully say that this is one of my best album purchases over the last year or two due to the album just being, well, excellent. The lyrics are awesome and the instrumentals or also great and, considering that I'm not typically a huge fan of computerized sounds, I was surprised by songs like "Ode to Sad Disco" on the album, being that it is my favorite song on the album. Excellent crafting and, as always, Lanegan is on point. His voice is truly unique and, for that matter, better than mostly everyone I've ever heard. You can hear the work that went into this album. Though this is solidly rock-ish in flavor, the blues roots and sound are all there, even with the "new" sound that includes are more technological spin on his music. He doesn't just make the computer sounds work - he makes them awesome in the songs that they're present. Some songs are just forceful (in a good way) like Quiver Syndrome and Riot in My House, while others like Harborview Hospital and especially Bleeding Muddy Water are more bluesy and eclectic than I would have ever imagined. I've gotten more bang for my buck from this album than I would have ever expected and it now sits as one of the best albums to really diversify your album collection, especially if it's mainly rock based (Led Zeppelin, Sabbath, Queens of the Stone Age, AC/DC, etc...) like mine. Not a bad song on the album gives the listener a trip through many different musical styles as done through Lanegan's prodigious style and voice.
on July 11, 2012
This is the best Mark Lanegan album since Whiskey for the Holy Ghost! I don't need to add to the cacophany of praise, so let me just say you will not regret this purchase, even if you were not thrilled with Scraps or Field Songs or Bubblegum, as I wasn't. I will buy anything he puts out, but I have not truly loved an album like this by any artist, let alone Lanegan, in years. My only hope is that I don't ruin it for myself by playing it too many times in a row. Fortunately I can mix it up a bit with two other recent Lanegan albums I purchased at the same timeBallad of the Broken Seas: Ballad of the Broken Seas, with Isobell Campbell, which I discovered on Pandora via my Screaming Trees radio station, and a new Screaming Trees album--yes, new (2011 release)!--called Last Words: The Final Recordings.Last Words: The Final Recordings
on July 5, 2012
Mark Lanegan can do little wrong in my opinion, so I'm starting out biased. There is no other voice I'd rather hear sing. But that isn't all you get with this one, the music is diverse, all wonderful. There's something for everyone whose ever loved him. Grey Goes Black is reminiscent of old Screaming Trees, Ode To Sad Disco is actually danceable, which for him, is new territory. He pulls that off with grace. Riot in My House and Quiver Syndrome rock harder than the kids can (hallelujah for the older folks still writing music!) and the rest of the album is for people like me who just love Mark Lanegan singing low and quiet over a more simple musical backdrop. His solo work has always been my favorite.
If you love this, find the the track "Burning Jacob's Ladder" and download that as well.
on April 7, 2012
So, I've listened to this so many times that the songs are embedding themselves into my consciousness. Not a dud among 'em, though the ones that resonate the most are "Gravedigger's Song", "Riot In My House", "Ode to Sad Disco", "Phantasmagoria Blues", "Quiver Syndrome", "Deep Black Vanishing Train", and "Tiny Grain of Truth". (Um, that's most of them!) Others have posted more comprehensive reviews, but I'm going to stop now before I start gushing. If you're like me and can't get enough of the man's gorgeous voice, you don't need my review to make you buy this album because you already have it!
on November 17, 2013
Right out of the gate, Lanegan grabs your attention and he doesn't let go. I honestly think that this is Mark's best work to date (maybe Bubblegum might be better... I keep flip-flopping). His voice is absolutely on fire (no shock there) and the music adds to the depth of the album. Highlights for me are Gravedigger's Song, Phantasmagoria Blues, Tiny Grain of Truth and especially Ode to Sad Disco which is just awesome. There are no bad songs on this album. Not one. Buy this album right away.
on October 23, 2012
This record is incredible, every song is just so good..... The collaborations are great especially joshs guitar on track five plus alain is such a good musician.... Marks voice is amazing! Buy it, dont hesitate
on March 12, 2013
As a follower of the Screaming Trees I have needed a fix for quite some time. Mark Lanegan was one the brothers in this amazing band. Queens of the Stone age featuring Mark was awesome as well, but his own stuff? Magnificent. Thank you Mark for continuing to share your music. Whenever I'm in e-burg I still look for Mark wandering around because he's a friendly dude too!

People, his vocals are awesome.
on March 6, 2012
A friend suggested I watch the video of "The Gravedigger's Song". It was so creepy cool( I swear I almost dropped my phone during the part when the girl's head appeared around the door) combined with Mark Lanegan's baritone voice, I immediately sought after this cd.

I received the cd today and have been playing it non-stop. Every song is pretty darn good. The two songs that stand out to me instantly are "The Gravedigger's Song" and "Harborview Hospital". But seriously, all twelve songs are good. I'm definitely going to look into anything by Mark Lanegan now.
on July 4, 2013
What an amazing album. I'm not really familiar with a lot of Mark Lanegan's solo stuff since I mostly know him as a contributing artist for Queens of the Stone Age and other stuff. Bu this album is REALLY solid all the way through. Think like Johnny Cash, Trent Reznor, the Cure, and Tom Waits all got together and made an album.... that comes almost close. Really excellent.