Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

81%
19%
Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on January 20, 2009
I love this album by Ann, it's one of my favorites
She is just a really blues artist on this,
I have many of her CD's, and most are individually different.
Ann is so talented she can move into many genre's.
I see comments made she is a Lounge singer, I have to laugh.
There are few of these lounge singer performers left.I doubt few young people even know what a Caberate singer is....
Thanks to our Japanese friends and Karaoke and America's lack of appreciation for true live talent now we are stuck missing the aura of a fine night out with live entertainment.
In fact try and fine live music in a club with a artist of her caliber,
Good luck unless you live in NYC or Chicago etc, You are SOL.
We poor folks in small towns across America have no where to go..
I recommend Ann because she brings it all to us and all in a fine , clear strong voice, that is not to be forgotten.
I have yet to find a piece of her music I regret listening to or buying.
I truly look forward to dropping her CD's onto my player and know I have hours of Blues, Caberate and just fine renditions of a great variety of music from past to present in front of me to listen to
on June 1, 2011
I heard of Ann Hampton Calloway some years back as she was playing Manhattan cabarets. I never really listened carefully when I ran across her work, but this CD made me sit up and take notice. She has a strong, unique voice and style. Her "Too White to Sing the Blues, Blues" is so much more than a novelty song. It is funny, it is bluesy, it is captivating. Her "Blue Moon," is the best version of this standard that I've heard. I never particularly liked that song, until I heard Ms. Calloway's rendition. Super CD.
on March 5, 2016
I recently discovered Ann's music and she quickly became a favorite of mine. Great singer who does a great job with the songs of the Great American Songbook. Check it out.
on November 17, 2006
This is Callaway's finest achievement -- and there have been many. It came out last summer, but talk about the bloom still on the rose five months later (11/21/06)!

Her soulful rendition of "Blue Moon" and the title track will remind you of "Dreamgirls"' Effie White (who says white girls can't wail?), she doubles your pleasure with sister Liz Callaway on a sensational "Stormy Weather/When the Sun Comes Out" medley, and her "It's All Right with Me" may have you asking, "Norah Who?"
"
She'll also have you laughing and swinging over her own witty composition, "The I'm-Too-White-To-Sing-The Blues Blues," and then turn around and break your heart with a wondrous rendition of Sondheim's hymnlike "No One Is Alone" that even the great Cleo Laine would envy.

If she doesn't get Grammified for Best Jazz Vocal Performance, the Grammy voters should be assassinated. This is a classic album!
on July 27, 2015
This woman has an excellent range to her voice, and is unafraid to push her own vocal limits. Add to this, timing, and a good sense of humor, all in all, a good listen!
on June 17, 2009
Just purchased my fourth Ann Hampton Callaway album and this is my favorite yet. Having grown up in Chicago I developed a passion for the blues at a very early age. Callaway has chosen some amazing classics, thrown in her own "Too White to Sing the Blues", and delivered some original arrangements that blow me away. This CD will become a standard gift to my Blues loving friends who enjoy a fresh approach to a classic genre. So glad that I had a chance to see her perform in person!
on February 15, 2009
"Ann Hampton Calloway" continues her bubbly, effervescent cabaret career on this record, where she delves into blues territory effectively and humorously.

"Swinging Away The Blues," "Hip To Be Happy," "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most," and the funny "I'm Too White To Sing The Blues Blues" show that Calloway has the chops to sing blues with jazz sensibilities. This talented vocalist, one hopes, will continue to grow in popularity and attention.
on December 16, 2016
Perfection
on September 1, 2016
Great album from a great singer.
on November 19, 2013
I have always liked Ann Hampton Callaway sound. She's fantastic and fearless! I have enjoyed her talent ever since I discovered her existence. A friend told me about her.