Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 461 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 519 reviews
on September 21, 2012
Let me preface this review with the fact that I love the Bob Books; I believe they are one of the best "learn to read" products on the market. My three star rating does not reflect the content of the Bob Books series.

I had read that some people complained that these books were the small, older versions. I did not mind this, however considering the fact that my daughter was about to finish Set One and I wanted Set Two, I am quite disappointed that the first six books in this set are also in Set One! I wouldn't have paid this much for only six books. Upon further research it seems that there are some sets marked "Set Two" that aren't repetitive and this set is an older version. However there is no way to determine which you are getting, older or newer. Buyers, keep this in mind when ordering!

**UPDATE**
I have discovered if you have "Collection One" and have finished that (books 1-18) what you want next is called "Collection Two" (not set two). This will keep you from repeating those six books.
22 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2015
The pictures are goofy simple drawings (doesn't look professional at all) but my son doesn't seem to mind. The important part is that the reading difficulty is spot on. Most first reading books I find are too difficult starting off with. These though were almost all 3 letter wards with a few slightly more difficult ones sprinkled in. Wonderful for a starting off reader.
on April 5, 2017
This collection is an excellent way to build confidence in beginner readers and the books are fun and my child enjoys reading them unlike other beginner reader books where he would get discouraged or bored. They're short enough that the child doesn't lose focus or attention but engaging enough that they want to keep reading more.
on March 31, 2012
Things slow down a little bit here vs. the first series. It's still great, don't get me wrong - my boy loved it. But while the first series clearly shows a progression of learning about vowel and consonant sounds, this series tends to do alot of repeat and not add much other than sight words.

That's OK, because sometimes a little repetition is all your child needs to boost their confidence.

Final comment - wish Bob Books had electronic versions! I have nothing against paper books, but my kids LOVE reading e-books. They still hold it in their hands, they still "turn" the pages. And they think they're really fun!

One Kindle series that is very similar to Bob Books but in the e-book format is called READ ROOS, Ready for Kindergarten? (Read Roos). My son loved wondering where the little kangaroo was going to pop up in those books!
on August 13, 2017
It took me a bit to understand the appeal of the Bob books. Quite frankly I didn't like the illustrations. However, now that my child is sounding things out I have come to appreciate them and to appreciate the simple illustrations.
on April 6, 2017
These are great I use them in my classroom. I have both the first set in the second set. they are a great resource.
on January 11, 2017
We love the Bob Books! We have three sets now and each night my 5 year old reads one to me and then I read a longer book to her. She is very proud to be able to read a whole book by herself. I see her working out new words she finds in each book, sounding out the letters. These books reinforce simple words and sounds. My child has focus issues and the small size, simple drawings and lack of colors keep from distracting her too much. Because of these books, she has progressed in reading at school as well. Her teacher comments on her confidence and strong reading abilities. I will be buying all the sets!
on July 24, 2017
I purchased these for my son before he started prek and he loved them he start reading on his own and taking interest in words by time he started prek and time he was in Kindergarten he got to read to him class.
on February 6, 2017
My little guy has been having trouble lifting off. These books have helped him in his learning to read journey significantly. We bought 5 sets and every day we read a box full. Reading one box a couple of days in a row to begin with helped (nice to feel confident, since he did just read them the day before). There are a few sentences that would be more natural written another way and before we're done I will have added a few things to them. The illustrations are nice and the repetition helps with memorizing the words. Would highly recommend this books to teach reading.
on May 3, 2017
I absolutely love these books. my 5 year old has been able to read several of the books all the way through, what a great learning tool! These should be a must have for all schools and parents!!
review image review image