Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,253 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,509 reviews
on February 5, 2014
My son is in kindergarten. While he rocks at math, science and history, reading is boring to him and he is struggling. These books are really helping! I know some people gave them low marks for being boring. Well, you can't do that much when you are trying to make it actually readable for a child who has not ever read a book on their own yet. Using just a few 3-letter words these books were the first my son ever read all by himself and he was so proud.

Are they boring? Of course, a bit. "Mat sat." Not exciting, but readable. NOW here is what you do... you, the parent, make them interesting. When he read "Mat sat." I raved and raved about his reading ability. The page wasn't exciting, but he was proud and that kept him going. Then, two pages later we get "Mat sat on Sam." And a funny picture of just that. I made a big production of it saying, "Oh my gosh, look at that." And we both giggled and giggled. Then we discussed what shapes were used to make Mat and Sam. Then, we read more.

My son, a video game and Lego junkie who likes action, loved these books. Why? Because we made them fun by discussing them, giggling at them, and being proud of his reading ability.

I'm saving these to read with my son's kids someday! Bob books are good stuff if you make them so.
on August 12, 2015
We STRUGGLE and BADLY with reading. It was so frustrating for my daughter that she would end up in tears. Then, someone suggested these BOB books. Wow. The short and repetetive words and sentences really built confidence in my girl. I love this little case they come in and the fact that they are numbered in order of difficulty. These helped her so much when nothing else could. Little by little we saw her confidence rise. Reading is still a work in progress and she is now 8 but I know that these books gave her the stepping stones she needed to build up her confidence.
on June 25, 2017
The other night, my six year-old was reading the first book of the first grade Bob set, and my almost-four year old, wanting to catch up, announced that she, too, was going to read a book. I remembered this set and pulled it off the shelf for her, so that she can maybe read instead of "read." She was game and read the first book with some help. We had a huge dance party and some ice cream sundaes to celebrate her READING HER FIRST BOOK EVER. The set and its little box is currently hugely important to my almost-four, who read a second one the next day, and re-read the first and second ones a dozen times each on day three, plus 3 pages of book three. We had to improvise her a bedside table, to store it, because clearly the little blue box set needed more pomp than the few books she likes to keep in her bed near her pillow. She is so excited about this, and so am I.
on April 10, 2017
Bob Books are far and away the best books for beginning readers. I first used them while assisting in a kindergarten classroom. Now, over a decade later, my kids are learning to read with these book. Their progression through the alphabet is spot on and makes learning almost effortless.
on October 17, 2016
One of the best ways to help anyone learn to read but especially those with learning differences or disabilities. It runs in my family and we used BOB BOOKS for my girls 29 &25 and now my 5 yr old grand daughter. Highly recommended BOB Books for pre-schoolers or those struggling with reading. Happy there is a kindle edition now.
on July 17, 2016
My son was a reluctant reader last year. It was our first year homeschooling and we were having a hard time finding a program that worked well for us. We started BOB Books this month when we started out new school year. We use Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons. I love the DIASTAR approach to reading. BOB Books go along nicely with 100 Easy Lessons. My son loves doing a few lessons and then being able to read a new book. I highly recommend BOB Books to anyone teaching their child to read even if they are using a different program as their primary.
review image
on November 28, 2011
I've been reading to my son since he was born, I try to at least a few times a week (not always possible). I'm not sure if that's why, but he sure seems to have in him a natural interest in learning and reading. He's a smart little whipper snapper too! Anyway, enough bragging about my child.

About these books: They are very effective at teaching my five year old to read. Each Bob's Books set comes in a box with about 15 or so books in them. The are color coded (e.g., the first 5 blue, next orange, next green). Each color is the same theme and characters. The author did an excellent job designing these books, and seems to me a lot of thought went into them.
For Example:

-The books are perfect size for little hands
-The illustrations are nothing fancy, just very simple lines and characters, in black and white. Enough to demonstrate what is being said, but not to take away from the main task: reading.
-Each page has a simple sentence like: "Bob and dot sat with a cat," with a simple illustration above it depicting just that. The next page will say something like, "Bob and dot sat by a tree," again with the illustration and so on and so on throughout the book. Each page and each book builds upon the previous one.

My son will sit in my lap and we start to read these, I get him started and help him where he gets stuck, but by halfway through the book, he is reading them to me, and he loves it and he can't wait to get the next book and read some more. These books have helped his reading by an incredible amount and very quickly.

We will definitely be working through the entire Bob's Books series. Thanks Bob's Books!!!
on March 16, 2015
My kindergartener needed to do more reading practice at home, but many of the books we had at home had some tough words that don't follow the "sound it out" rules. I like that this series starts with the foundation of words you can sound out successfully, and later sets introduce more complexity. It has helped my son get into a reading routine and has boosted his reading confidence. I do find these stories pretty boring and the illustrations are kind of creepy, but he doesn't seem to mind any of that. The other series we are using is "Now I'm Reading". I prefer that series because the stories are funnier, the pictures are richer, and the packaging is nicer, but both series are doing the job for us.
on February 27, 2017
Great readers for my beginning reader! She can read them independently for the most part and is totally enthralled with the books. I was worried the pictures would not hold her interest but she is 100% interested!
on February 18, 2017
I have taught 4 kids to read using these books. I bought this set for my grandson. They are short and fun and give kids a sense of accomplishment that makes them want to keep learning and read more.