- Bob Dylan: "The sound of Hank Williams's voice went through me like an electric rod and I managed to get a hold of a few of his 78s... I played them endlessly... When I hear Hank sing, all movement ceases. The slightest whisper seems sacrilege." Read more musical excerpts from Chronicles, Vol. 1 on our Music You Should Hear page.
Bob Dylan - Don't Look Back
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Pennebaker's access to the legendarily private troubadour enables us to witness Dylan's shifting moods as he performs, relaxes with his entourage (including then lover Joan Baez, road manager Bob Neuwirth, and poker-faced manager Albert Grossman), and jousts with other musicians (notably Animals alumnus Alan Price and Scottish folksinger Donovan), fans, and press. It's a measurement of the filmmaker's acuity that the conversations are often as gripping as Dylan's solo performances. Grossman's machinations with British promoters, Baez's hip serenity, a grizzled British journalist's surrender to the fact of Dylan's artistry, and the artist's own taunting dismissal of a clueless sycophant are all absorbing.
With the exception of the studio recording of "Subterranean Homesick Blues," the live performances (including five newly restored, complete audio tracks excised from the original film but included on the DVD version) are constrained by crude audio gear. Their urgency, however, is timeless, as is Pennebaker's film, a legitimate cornerstone for any serious rock video collection. --Sam Sutherland
- Includes five original, uncut audio performances: "It Ain't Me, Babe," "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue," "Love Minus Zero/No Limit," "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll" and "To Ramona"
- Alternate version of the famous "Subterranean Homesick Blues" cue-card scene
Top Customer Reviews
Visual/Audio: Is it worth the upgrade? If you don't own "Don't Look Back" and you have an interest in Dylan or film history, this is a pretty significant film--so why not pick up the Blu-ray edition? If you have the earliest DVD release, this is also an easy recommendation for the added features and content. If, however, you have the 2007 standard issue DVD release--things might get a little more complicated unless you are just updating every film in your library. Mastered in High Definition, this new version looks fine, but not significantly superior. Based on the source material, the original aspect ratio is maintained (which it should be) so this will not be shown in widescreen format. The visual and audio presentation (in 2.0) isn't a leap from the 2007 presentation.Read more ›
Apart from the original film, the DVD offers the viewer the unique opportunity of seeing the film (again!) with an ongoing commentary by Pennebaker and Neuwirth themselves, who shed light into what went into nearly every scene.
Besides, the DVD also includes 5 previously unreleased audio tracks (crystal clear quality) recorded in various locations in England during that same tour.
A fascinating and revealing experience not only for the diehard Dylan fan.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought it as a gift. It has a lot of Bob's early life, sitting around and talking with other people, but not very much music.Published 2 months ago by Robert R.
an important bob dylan documentary and a very nice edition.Published 5 months ago by Edson De Faria Francisco
Saw this in the theatre and still enjoy seeing it on the small screen.Published 6 months ago by Gregory K. Tobkes
Terrific tour document by D. A. Pennebaker, this 1965 effort captures Dylan behind the scenes transitioning from folk hero to urbane rock icon. Read morePublished 11 months ago by Classics Collector
Blind bought this, very happy I did. The presentation is top notch and the film is better than I could have hoped for. What an amazing addition to my collection!Published 15 months ago by Anthony Marano
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- CDs & Vinyl > Folk > Contemporary Folk
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Contemporary
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Singer-Songwriters
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock > Folk Rock
- Movies & TV > Docurama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Arts & Entertainment
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Special Interests
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Music Artists > Dylan, Bob
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Documentary
- Movies & TV > TV