Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 228 reviews
on October 17, 2016
I see that people wrote this not a beginners workout. I can understand there is a learning curve for people doing this video for the first workout of their entire lives. However, a beginner video, to me, should have difficult elements. If you can do the work out on day one, it's too easy, you won't get anywhere, and you'll stop doing it in a few sessions. It should be a video that you work into.

I love this video, I'll order more of Bob's. It is a fantastic workout, very challenging when taken in total, but most of the individual movements taken separately are doable. That's why it's a good beginner vid; you can learn the routines quickly. I recommend this video to anybody that is serious about getting in shape, and/or losing weight. The production of the video is top notch. Bob presents the routine very clearly and smoothly.
on September 25, 2011
"Bob Harper: Kettlebell Sculpted Body" is an intense workout. Bob works with Stephanie, who uses one (moderate to medium) weight kettlebell. I had a 4kg (a little over 8.8 pounds) kettlebell and an 8kg (a little over 17.6 pounds) kettlebell. Whenever I used the heavier kettlebell, the exercise was intense and my heart rate went up quite a bit and I had difficulty finishing the exercise. Whenever I used the lighter kettlebell, I could easily do the exercise.

Warm up is about 3 minutes, 34 seconds.
Workout is about 38 minutes, 3 seconds.
Cool-down is about 7 minutes, 2 seconds.

Not all the exercises and movements were named, but here is a fairly complete list of the names or descriptions of the exercises.

Squat
Squat with kettlebell (or bell)
High pull with squat
Suitcase swing
Alternating suitcase swing
Cliff scaler
Cliff scaler with push-up
Clean (I used a dumbbell, instead of a bell. It's easier with a dumbbell.)
Clean and press (I used a dumbbell here too.)
Cliff scaler
Ab twist
Arm push from chest movement
Bell twist
Ab work

I had issues doing the "clean" and "clean and press" with the kettlebell. It felt uncomfortable and the bell kept bumping against my forearm. For these movements, I used a dumbbell instead of a kettlebell.
on January 9, 2017
this is the best workout video that I have bought in a long time! I was an avid exerciser until about 5 years ago when I had kids, got diagnosed with hypothyroidism, had knee surgery, and launched into my 40's! At a peak weight of 280 I kept trying to get back at it, but what I really enjoy is boot camp type workouts and I was having a horrible time finding one that I could even remotely keep up with, and the other "beginner" workouts drove me crazy with the "if you are just learning to workout" speeches. This workout seems to have taken real crossfit moves but has chosen the low impact ones, and goes a slower pace. There are a couple of places where they do jumping jacks and fast feet(3-4 minutes total of the 46 minute workout). So I feel right at home, but can (mostly) keep up. As always Bob gives tips on how to modify as needed, he gives the basics of what to keep in line, but he does not spend forever explaining how to do each move. The workout is labeled as a beginner workout, but it is probably much more labeled the "getting back into it" workout.
on February 17, 2017
This is one of my favorite Bob Harper workouts that I've ever done. I really generally like Bob as a trainer--he's my second favorite behind Jillian Michaels. I find that sometimes his workouts seem a little random without rhyme or reason or they blast one part of the body while neglecting another.

This is Bob at his finest. His workout is really well structured along with being a reasonable length (forty-five minutes). This workout is VERY doable, but there are some part that are rather difficult, even for experienced exercisers (VERY fast walk-out pushups and very fast-paced burpees at the beginning). This is one of Bob's most balanced workouts as well--he works out arms, shoulder, legs, butt and abs. I'm glad he gets abs in there as well because he usually neglects them. Cardio is nice too. I am an intermediate exerciser and I found this to be a challenge, but as a break. Bob's other workouts KILL ME (any of his inside out DVDs as well as his Total Body Transformation), but this one isn't a horrendous. I only used five pounds--this is one that you could really do with eight or ten if you are looking for a challenge.

Bob's helpers actually keep up this time as opposed to other DVDs without doing anything stupid and dramatic (collapsing, screaming, being generally over-the top). There is one editing issue at the end that always frustrated me--during the standing crunches, there's one point where the exercisers are suddenly doing the opposite leg which always threw me off. But at the end of the day, who cares. I also liked Bob's abs work out in this one--nice challenge!

Bob is also nice and encouraging in this DVD without being abusive or pushy. Great DVD--I had a lot of fun doing it.
on June 2, 2015
I've done one other Kettle-bell workout (the Jillian Michaels one) and this one pales in comparison. I did sweat and get my heart rate up, but I felt he took too long explaining moves. What I prefer is either the dancer or coach to go through the movement as they explain and do it in a concise manner. He took too much time and paused too much, leaving me wondering when he would get on to the exercise so my heart rate wouldn't drop. He does introduce some new and interesting moves. However, I was frustrated that 1/3rd of the exercises were non kettle-bell (i.e. push ups/jumping jacks). I have other workout dvds that include this stuff and was looking forward to a more kettle-bell centered workout.

I really enjoyed Bob's Ripped core workout, and that led me to buy this DVD. If you're new to kettle-bell, need more instruction and more time to recover between exercises, this might be nice.

However, if you have some experience, you like to move quickly between exercises, and/or want a primarily kettle-bell focused workout, this one might be one to avoid.
on February 2, 2015
Let me be clear that this is a great workout DVD. Having said that the reason I only gave it one star is become of how deceiving the title is. It says beginners workout and that is a big FAT lie. No person's who is majorly overweight or just beginning to workout can do much of this dvd. I'm keeping it and pushing through but would be pissed if I was any bigger bc it would be basically a waste of money. There's just no way you can call this a beginners workout.
on November 21, 2012
Let me start out by saying that I am a 25 year old 300 and something pound girl. I ordered the Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga by Bob and LOVE it! Its a very decent work out not too easy or too hard (with modifications of course). I have been doing that dvd about 25 mins every couple of days. And the days I dont do it, I do some light easy dancing for about 30 mins. I have only been exercising for about 2 weeks now. I was worried about the level of intensity for this work out because of all the other reviews stating that it was too hard and more intermediate, but it was $6 w/ shipping so how could I not get it, even if just to work up to it? Well I finally got it, after an 8 day [ugh!] waiting period. I put it in and began the work out. Some moves I absolutely could not do because I get in the way of myself, but I just kept moving to keep my heart rate up. Or I attempted it. I bet I looked pathetic (but who cares, Im at home!) I didn't know if I could get through the entire workout but I did. The only one I couldn't figure out a modification for was a triceps work out where you sit on the floor with knees bent and hands on the floor behind you and then lift your self up. Im just too heavy for that ish! But thats near the end of the work out. So I actually feel really good afterwards. My thighs are just a little shaky. And I was dripping sweat!! I did not use any dumbbells, apparently my arms are heavy enough because I felt the burn! It will be my goal to do this every other day (while doing my yoga on the other days) until I can do it all! The only thing that I was disappointed about was Bobs personality didn't really shine through. That was what I was really hoping for because it helps me in getting through the workout. I recommend it to mobile beginners because if you have joint pain or something or just hardly ever move, it would be really rough. And I would suggest walking, in fact I think there is a biggest loser or bob harper power walk dvd that I might buy :)
on September 21, 2011
"Bob Harper: Beginner's Weight Loss" dvd contains two workouts, Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation and 10-Minute Beginner Abs.

I'll start with the shorter 10-Minute Beginner Abs workout. I found it fairly easy and it was a little different from other ab workouts. I enjoyed it and my abs were sore the next day.

Here's the breakdown.

Ab Workout (10 minutes, 40 seconds)
Stretch (51 seconds)

Lower Ab Crunches
Crunches
Oblique Crunches
Crunches

The Beginner's Weight Loss Transformation, the main workout, is intense and I classify it as an intermediate workout. Heart rate is boosted throughout most of the workout and I was sweating. Six hours later, I was sore. Light to moderate weights are used in slightly less than half of the exercises. Other exercises involve plyometrics (jumping) and bodyweight exercises including various push-up variations. I don't like jumping and I made it easier by walking and I have a piece of equipment which I use to do easier push-ups, (you could do push-ups against a wall or a bench, too).

Here's the breakdown.

Warm up (3 minutes, 20 seconds) Warm up is composed of all stretches.
Workout (38 minutes, 07 seconds) Please see below for a list of exercises.
Cool-down (3 minutes, 27 seconds) Cool-down consists of all stretches.

Here's the workout.

Reverse Table Top
Stretches
Triceps Push-Ups
Reverse Tabletop

The swimming variations with weights may be the first time that I have seen them done. I also liked the standing ab work at the end. The reverse table top and the triceps push-ups are sometimes rarely seen, and I was pleased to see them here.

I can see how some might say this is not a beginner's workout. Anything that I found too hard, I just did an easier variation. We all know, that we have to be consistent and build up over time.

Besides Mr. Harper, talent includes two male exercisers and two female exercisers.
on March 5, 2015
As many have said, this is absolutely NOT a beginner's workout. So really, shame on Bob Harper for marketing it this way. It could have been a beginner's workout if time and trouble had been taken to designate one of the workout people on the dvd as the 'beginner' so they could model appropriate modifications all the way through. Luckily I know enough to incorporate my own modifications, so it's an effective workout for me - didn't waste my money. For the true beginners, folk who are significantly overweight and without some muscle tone, I strongly suggest a 6 week brisk walking program to prepare the body before doing this dvd -- which is actually very challenging.
on October 24, 2015
I have done this workout countless times and really think it is great. Don't get me wrong, it is the real deal. I would suggest starting with a light kettle bell and working your way up. There is even some light yoga and stretching at the end to cool down. I usually do this on my off days from running and have noticed that it increased my run times. A lot of this is in the hips from swinging the kettle bell.