Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bh: Totally Ripped Core
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on August 2, 2011
Here's a breakdown of the exercises:

Warm Up

Deadlift Combo
Weighted Side Crunch
Windmills
Weighted Side Crunch (other side)
Windmills (other side)

Straight Leg Twists
Roll and Extend
Bicycle Legs

Cooldown and Stretch

I'm used to Jillian's 6 week six pack but this was definitely a challenge (in a good way of course!)
Bob brings it as usual. Amazing workout!! When I see the people in the video struggling I know I will probably be too (which is good!)

There's also a 10-minute ripped core mini workout:

Warm Up

Single Leg Extension Combo
Reverse Lunges
Windmills (other side)
Single Leg Extension Combo (other side)
Standing Twists
Single Leg X-Formation
Static Sumo Squat
Single Leg X-Formation (other side)
Static Sumo Squat

Cooldown
66 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2011
This is such an incredibly tough workout! Bob starts off a bit easy with deadlifts and twists so you may be thinking this will be easy. Think again! He keeps kicking it up a notch, and you'll be drenched in sweat in no time. Bob says at the end that you'll be cursing him the next morning when you wake up with a sore core. Well, I won't have to wait until the morning....my core was feeling it right away. I thought Jillian Michaels' 6 Week 6 Pack was tough, but this workout puts that one to shame. Bob's workout is slow and controlled compared to the rush of Jillian's workout. If you're looking for a way to really get ripped abs, I highly recommend trying this workout.
on August 8, 2011
I have two other Bob DVDs -(Inside Out Cardio and Extreme Weight Loss) so I had an inkling that this would be equally tough and I was not disappointed. I was, however, drenched in sweat and thoroughly wiped out by the end of the 50 minute segment. The 10-minute "quickie" is no cupcake either. I plan to use this to supplement my normal routine of cardio/Pilates/weights and hopefully as time goes by I will find this a little easier. Word of caution: if you have any type of knee and/or back issues you may want to modify a couple of the moves, particularly the side burpee and the aptly-named Killer Side Plank Twist. If you want a challenging workout for the core then this is your huckleberry!
VINE VOICEon November 8, 2011
One of the things that you need to know when you buy this, is that if you don't already have a mat, you're going to want to buy one. You get sweaty pretty quickly so you're going to want to be able to sweat on something other than your carpet or hardwood floors. You do some exercise where you sit on your butt, roll back to your shoulders, and then roll forward and stand up. This would be very painful on a hardwood floor or thin carpet.

Second, of the 5 people doing the workout, 4 of them were using small dumbbells with most exercises. I didn't have any dumbbells and didn't know I should have had them, but I used 2 cans of coconut water to get me by. You can do it without dumbbells of course, but either way, the DVD should have mentioned it as an optional/recommended item.

I started to do the workout without a shirt on and found myself slipping all over my mat because I was sweating so much (and I workout 5 days a week). I had to pause the workout to wipe off my mat and put on a shirt so I could continue without twisting an ankle.

The people doing the workout struggle, and I felt like I was going to throw-up after about 30 minutes. All-in-all, a very good sign!

DVD contains 2 core workouts, one is about 45 min, the other is about 11 min.
on March 8, 2012
You won't think this workout is tough when you first start, but by a few minutes in you will feel the burn from controlled, slow moves that gain pace as the workout goes along. By the next day? You'll feel it. Two days out? You'll be swearing at Bob with step you take, and encouraged to complete the DVD again.

Others have summarized what exercises are in this DVD, so I won't. I will say that I am generally bored and not a fan of workout DVDs, but I don't have this problem with Totally Ripped Core. I *want* to do it again, because it makes me focus on my core and Bob's workouts are highly effective.

I do wish that the DVD included an alternative to the Rollback Series, as I am not able to do a complete return to standing, especially not in the time allotted. I will keep trying, though, until my core is 'ripped' enough to complete the motion.
Be careful if you have hamstring/groin issues or knee issues while doing the Killer Plank Twists. The first time I did these I was not careful enough about the placement of my legs, and it was painful on my knee. I've gotten better at adapting this to fit my needs. Additionally, the Side Burpees are a bit harsh on the knees, but keep trying!

Make sure that you have some light weights to complete the workout. You can do it without them, but the burn is better if you have them.
on November 16, 2011
The person who said that if you do Insanity not to do this is wrong. I've done Insanity twice and P90X four times. This core workout does the job if you use enough weight and really go after it. It's a great substitute for Core Synergistics. If you want to work your core, but are tired of watching Dreya or Pam the Blam over and over, give this a try. The price for these videos can't be beat, especially when compared to similar Beach Body videos. Personally, this is my favorite Bob Harper video so far.
on April 11, 2013
This is a good ab workout (one of the few to make my abs sore!), but his warm-up goes completely against modern warm-up ideas, using static stretches before going straight into the workout. I was surprised by that, seeing as he's on the Biggest Loser (though I've never watched it) and his co-host Jillian Michaels has excellent workout DVDs.

Only one of his assistants (the one who does the 'easy' modifications, without weights) has good form...the rest of his trainees definitely struggle in this area! It's nice to see other people struggling with a workout, but if I'm expected to follow their form, I want to make sure I'm following good form!

Some of the moves are really good. 40 minutes is a looooong ab workout, and I've only made it through the whole thing once (and couldn't laugh for several days!). The short workout is not even worth your time. I'd say IF you get this DVD, be sure you're familiar with proper form and be free to skip around the moves to create a workout that suits you and your time.
on September 24, 2011
There are two workouts and I'll break it down.

The "Totally Ripped Core," the first one, was intense. I found it very easy in the beginning, then a third into the way of the workout, starting with the single leg deadlift, it became difficult.

Not just an ab workout, this is also a lower body workout, with the deadlifts, squats and leg movements. If you were to add a few more lower body exercises, one could almost retitle this workout as a lower body and ab workout.

The workout is done in a moderate and controlled pace, using two moderate weights for the first half of the workout. No weights are used in the second half of the workout.

Warmup is about 2 minutes and 12 seconds.
Workout is about 42 minutes and 57 seconds.
Cool-down is about 3 minutes and 11 seconds.

Here's a list of what's done.

Deadlift combos
Deadlift combos
Weighted side crunch
Single leg deadlift (It starts to get difficult here.)
Sinlge leg side raise
Plyo squats
Rollback series (I had issues doing this one.)
Hold squat
Side burpees (I hate burpees and I do something easier.)
Side plank series
Straight leg reaches
Straight leg twists
Roll and extend
Bicycle legs

The second workout, "Ripped Core Quick Blast," was quick and easy when compared to the longer workout. This one uses one moderate weight. Start with this one if you can't do the longer one.

Total workout time, including warmup and cool-down is about 11 minutes, 10 seconds.

Here are the exercises.

Single leg X-formation
Static sumo squat
Single leg X-formation
Static sumo squat

Mr. Harper exercises along with three women and one man.
on February 21, 2014
I like Bob more than Jillian. When she talks about fitting in to skinny jeans and so on I find it a little demoralizing. Some people like having their butts kicked a little when they are out of shape. Others, including me, find it demoralizing. Bob does not do that, he's not really in to fat or health shaming. There isn't much small talk and he mostly talks about the exercises. I personally find his demeanor kind of calming and it helps me focus. If you are a person who likes to get "revved up" you might like Jillian more. I like that he methodically explains all the exercises so that you can have proper form while doing them. When I got used to them I just sped up the pace a little.
I'm "skinny fat" so I just did the 10 minute bonus workout after my regular cardio for a few weeks before doing the regular 40 minute workout. This tape is customizable. As you build up your strength you can just use heavier weights ( most of the exercises incorporate them).
So if you are a not totally in shape person who wants a DVD that won't make you feel down about yourself and that you can customize as you build strength this is the one for you. His emphasis on proper form is very good if you are not in shape or used to exercising and do not want to hurt the next day. When you get in better shape just combine both workouts for a full hour and use heavier weights. This is a pretty tough workout if you do that.
on January 6, 2013
This is my favorite abs/core DVD. Every time I do this DVD I feel the burn the next day. Most DVDs only work on the abs. This DVD does abs, obliques, and back. It is about 48 minutes long and is by far the best abs/core DVD I have.