Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
on January 25, 2014
Reading the other reviews, I can tell that a lot of people buy spelt for philosophical or nutritional reasons. I'm more of a flavor guy. I also bake bread at home and my family had gone through about 50 consecutive loaves of a particular sourdough wheat recipe I was fiddling with and we all needed a change. So, I broke out the spelt.

For me this was a new and fun experience, consistent with what I'd previously read: spelt has a lower gluten content than common wheat flours but a higher gliadin:gluten in ratio, which means that if you substitute it 1:1 in your normal bread recipe you might note that it produces a soft pliable dough without the tension or elasticity you are accustomed to. The result may be less lift in your bread, although I find I can work with it fine.

The color of crusty spelt bread is lovely, the scent delicious, the internal texture a bit more tender than wheat, and the flavor is very interesting. The flavor is often described in terms as "nutty," which is not incorrect, but doesn't capture the experience. When I first tried a slice I thought it was not-quite-wheaty and fine, but I discovered the flavor quickly grows on you and even my children really enjoy the bread. My first experiments disappeared quickly, with requests for more.

So, I'm working spelt into our routine bread making. The flour is expensive enough that it frankly won't replace wheat for my normal baking routine, but I will be working it into the rotation and playing with it a bit.
on November 30, 2013
Whole spelt flour can sometimes be gritty if not finely ground enough. Not so with this brand. Long shelf life, a bag is good for a large loaf with plenty left over. Nutty and super tasty, spelt is wheat - yes - but the gluten is not the same as regular wheat. A more ancient variety it is often well tolerated by those gluten 'sensitive'. Another great one to try is Jovial's Einkorn wheat. This variety is the original precursor to all wheat and quite a unique taste and texture.
on January 9, 2017
Good price. Makes great bread.
Use whole package with 1.5 cup of water, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp yeast, 1 to 2 oz honey and bake for 30 minutes:)
Beats store bought by a mile.
on June 5, 2016
My 6th grade grandson has been studying Roman history. For extra credit, he chose to bake authentic Roman bread. The recipe called for spelt as the only flour. It was a simple, one rise bread. This was my first experience baking with spelt and we were all very pleased with the result.
on November 25, 2015
This is excellent! Not just in taste, but the fact that it comes in separate packages and can keep them in the freezer and just pull them out one at a time. Very convenient!
on January 2, 2017
Works great for baking and making fluffy pancakes. I love being able to make while grain bread that doesn't turn into a dense brick. I never use whole wheat flour anymore, just spelt! Bobs Red Mill is the best brand. I tried another brand on amazon and my bread didn't turn out as well, so I'm sticking with Bobs Red Mill from now on.
on March 27, 2017
One of my favorite flour
on July 21, 2017
Packaging was horrible. Product was open.
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2014
Rye, buckwheat, and spelt, are among the grain we keep in the house for baking. The flavor that this spelt brings in is very nice and it makes your baked goods, esp breads, better than just plain white wheat flower.
on January 19, 2012
I've been baking with this flour for the last couple of months and very happy with results. Individual packages insure freshness and the prices is fair.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.